Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

Yup, think of PS-Suite like DX or OpenGL, but more basic. It is an API which can run on almost any ARM based SoC.

So confirmed no Android?
PS-Suite API requires OpenGL not low level?
OpenCL used for on-the-Fly HDCP allowing video over Wifi?

Sorry for the questions but you are the only person here that might have answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Confirmed by DeanA, a SCEE ATG employee:
Nope, NGP does not run Android.
API can be 'any' level on NGP, not reliant on another graphics lib like OGL as Sony can write their own, but they may well choose to support OGL for convenience and just write OGL drivers for PS Suite which doesn't need to hit low level for performance. NGP still supports native console-like code.

Please also remember this is the business thread, not the hardware and tech discussion which is here.

Originally Posted by NathansFortune
Yup, think of PS-Suite like DX or OpenGL, but more basic. It is an API which can run on almost any ARM based SoC.

The Broadcom SOC is also used in Sony Platforms. Has 2 processors and supports OpenGL ES 2.0

EDIT: I'm trying to confirm the Processor. I remember 2 A9 ARM processors but one article mentions 2 Mips processors and another article mentions Arm processor in a Broadcom LAN chipset.

Broadcom has four major business units: enterprise, broadband, connectivity, and mobile. The latter two rely on
ARM CPUs, because of their focus on low power and the large base of ARM software in the mobile market. For these
products, the company licenses ARM CPU cores. For enterprise and broadband, however, Broadcom has relied
extensively on MIPS CPUs

So Open GL and probably MIPS. Would games be portable to the Broadcom SOC?

http://www.connectedhomeworld.com/content/broadcom-powers-lg-s-latest-connected-tv-and-blu-ray-disc-players

Broadcom’s connected digital TV system-on-a-chip (SoC) platform (BCM35230) and other single chip solutions (BCM7633 and BCM43236) have been selected by LG Electronics for its line wireless connected digital TVs and Blu-ray Disc players. The latest chipsets developed with integrated support web media movie services and communications like YouTube, VUDU, Skype, Netflix, Yahoo Widgets and other services. Visitors to this year’s CE show will get the opportunity to learn more about the technology or see it in action.
The Broadcom BCM35230 connected digital TV chipset is being used in LG’s SMART TV, a new line of televisions designed to allow users to access the latest online multimedia content through the TV from the web or from a local home media server.
The LG’s Blu-ray players will host Broadcom BCM7633 single-chip Blu-ray platform and combines proven optical front-end and back-end video decoding and display technology while adding support for 3D and feature-rich Internet-based streaming applications.
The LG Smart HDTVs and Blu-ray Disc Players will feature an integrated wireless LAN powered by the Broadcom BCM43236 chip, the world's first complete dual-band single-chip 802.11n solution for universal serial bus (USB) applications. The BCM43236 chip is part of Broadcom's Intensi-fi WLAN portfolio, which enables high performance, small form-factor and cost effective solutions for CE devices, including wireless video streaming.

API can be 'any' level on NGP, not reliant on another graphics lib like OGL as Sony can write their own, but they may well choose to support OGL for convenience and just write OGL drivers for PS Suite which doesn't need to hit low level for performance. NGP still supports native console-like code.

Please also remember this is the business thread, not the hardware and tech discussion which is here.

But it IS related to business. If it was Android based there would have been some kind of business strategy related to it and/or probably other opportunities (or dangers). The iPhones and iPads use their iOS while other competing platforms use Windows or Android. If the NGP had Android it might have been trying to catter through their audience with Tablet like functions as well or even help Android based platform establish theirselves more competitively next to other platforms

I wonder what were the decisions for not making it Android based

Would this prevent it from having any form of integration or at least very good integration with other platforms and devices such as TV's, phones, etc?

There has to be a basic understanding of what the PSP2 can do before speculation on business. The three questions I asked if YES would answer how the PSP2 is going to work with the PS3 and provide a synergy that will help sell the PSP2.

My previous post would apply to Sony also being able to port games to their and LGs TV's and blu-ray players. The Broadcom chip is probably going to make it into most CE equipment providing a MASSIVE market for games provided there is some controller being developed.

Sony stated a massive increase in PSN revenue for 2011-2012, with both Android and Broadcom CE markets, it was probably a massive understatement not overstatement.

But it IS related to business. If it was Android based there would have been some kind of business strategy related to it and/or probably other opportunities (or dangers). The iPhones and iPads use their iOS while other competing platforms use Windows or Android. If the NGP had Android it might have been trying to catter through their audience with Tablet like functions as well or even help Android based platform establish theirselves more competitively next to other platforms

I wonder what were the decisions for not making it Android based

Not being Android doesn't preclude tablet like functions. We know for a fact it has a web browser, video player, music player and digital comic reader. We can also guess an eReader app is likely and apps for Netflix, Hulu, MLB.tv and other similar services are almost certainly coming. The Playstation Suite will sell non-gaming apps, too, so even if there aren't official Twitter, Facebook, Skype, IM or email apps, I can't imagine those not showing up from third parties pretty quickly.

I can' only imagine not just running Android is largely motivated by security concerns. The source code publishing requirement for Android licensees, combined with the scene's general experience at rooting Android devices probably looks pretty scary to Sony right now. I imagine a lot of the certification for PS Suite involves being double, super, extra sure there's no way any given game or app can compromise the NGP's security.

There are two arguments in the debate I really do not seem to grasp as to why they're so incredibly relevant to the NGP's situation. The first one is Sony doesn't get the market, people don't want to play "that," only the hardcore cares, etc.

OK, somebody has to explain to me what type of games available on iOS or 3DS can't be made and controled the exact same way on the NGP? Just because it can do PS360-like games doesn't automatically exclude the Professor Layton/Angry Birds of this world to run on it. Unlike PSP, it's not limited by its input interfaces.

Is it too techy/high-end/unreachable for the mass market? I'll just brush aside that argument and say that iOS devices are just that, and yet they not only have mass market appeal, but even kids want them more than they toys/gadgets according to the latest studies. That's an advantage, not a downside.

Is it too pricey? We don't know yet. But we know the 3DS price is set at €/$249. If Sony can get an SKU on day one for 299 or less. I'd say price isn't a big issue (won't even bring iOS devices' prices here). Now, if they release at 349 as a minimum price, I'll concede that point. They'd paint themselves into a corner.

The second argument I don't understand is: Tablets will battle for the same money, NGP can't compare!

Again, I don't even know how you could bring Tablets, a recently reborn market that has yet to be "Nothing but iPad", which are principally used for internet and reading consumption into the handheld console market space.

Just because tablets could play games don't make them actors in the handheld console market. Or else, using such a broad scope of definition, we could bring laptops into home consoles sale market talk. I can play games on a laptop, I can link a laptop to a screen, I can use a joystick, I can do much more than I can do with a console! Yet, it's a different market, simply because it's a different product. Having products competing for the same dollars doesn't confer us a free pass to intertwine every devices where gaming is possible. Everything, food, housing, transportation, entertainment compete for the same dollars; we still delineate different market for each product. I know that there is such a thing as market absorption/division/evolution, but in the case of handheld consoles and tablets (or smartphones, for that matter) we're nowhere close the point where there is no difference between them.

But then again, I'm one of those folks who do not even consider as an option to play games with a "virtual gamepad". I tried that on my iPhone and tablets... And no thanks, no really. Technologically, I'm used to evolution that brings better more precise solutions, not to solutions that emulate the older solution in a less precise way and with less input feedback. But that's just me.

I'd like to precise that I have no complaint whatsoever with games made with touch control only. It's the "virtual gamepad" thing that I'm taking issues with.

There are two arguments in the debate I really do not seem to grasp as to why they're so incredibly relevant to the NGP's situation. The first one is Sony doesn't get the market, people don't want to play "that," only the hardcore cares, etc.

OK, somebody has to explain to me what type of games available on iOS or 3DS can't be made and controled the exact same way on the NGP? Just because it can do PS360-like games doesn't automatically exclude the Professor Layton/Angry Birds of this world to run on it. Unlike PSP, it's not limited by its input interfaces.

Is it too techy/high-end/unreachable for the mass market? I'll just brush aside that argument and say that iOS devices are just that, and yet they not only have mass market appeal, but even kids want them more than they toys/gadgets according to the latest studies. That's an advantage, not a downside.

Is it too pricey? We don't know yet. But we know the 3DS price is set at €/$249. If Sony can get an SKU on day one for 299 or less. I'd say price isn't a big issue (won't even bring iOS devices' prices here). Now, if they release at 349 as a minimum price, I'll concede that point. They'd paint themselves into a corner.

The second argument I don't understand is: Tablets will battle for the same money, NGP can't compare!

Again, I don't even know how you could bring Tablets, a recently reborn market that has yet to be "Nothing but iPad", which are principally used for internet and reading consumption into the handheld console market space.

Just because tablets could play games don't make them actors in the handheld console market. Or else, using such a broad scope of definition, we could bring laptops into home consoles sale market talk. I can play games on a laptop, I can link a laptop to a screen, I can use a joystick, I can do much more than I can do with a console! Yet, it's a different market, simply because it's a different product. Having products competing for the same dollars doesn't confer us a free pass to intertwine every devices where gaming is possible. Everything, food, housing, transportation, entertainment compete for the same dollars; we still delineate different market for each product. I know that there is such a thing as market absorption/division/evolution, but in the case of handheld consoles and tablets (or smartphones, for that matter) we're nowhere close the point where there is no difference between them.

But then again, I'm one of those folks who do not even consider as an option to play games with a "virtual gamepad". I tried that on my iPhone and tablets... And no thanks, no really. Technologically, I'm used to evolution that brings better more precise solutions, not to solutions that emulate the older solution in a less precise way and with less input feedback. But that's just me.

I'd like to precise that I have no complaint whatsoever with games made with touch control only. It's the "virtual gamepad" thing that I'm taking issues with.

OK, lets say Sony starts with the Ultraviolet DRM model where you purchase Media and are allowed to play it on multiple platforms. That makes media purchased from someone who supports the ultraviolet model more valuable to the consumer than media that is locked to one device. Now apply that to simple games. A game that you purchase from Sony ?may be? usable on multiple platforms including your TV. You purchase the game from the PSN store and download it to each of your Web platforms. You can start the game at home on your PS3 or TV and continue to play it on your PSP2 or Android tablet on the train to work..

How would this model affect your choice of TV you buy, a PS3 or PSP2...an Android tablet? Would you purchase a game or media from Sony who offers this or from the Android store or Apple who doesn't offer an Ultraviolet model. Would you pay more for the ultraviolet model than separately considering you have multiple WEB platforms?

A more precise answer to your comments is there is a market for simple mind numbing games. There is a market for games of chance and skill, for board games like chess or checkers. Chess or checkers on a tablet, or PSP2 would be totally cool with touch screen.

Would you put up with less accurate controls to continue to play the game you started on a PSP2 at home but don't take to work?

I think this is gonna ...bomb bad. It is PSPx4 in hardware and PSPx4 in chances of total annihilation from the portable market....

Im holding out on calling it impressive specs...Sony just bought a bunch of off the shelf parts.. ..come back again once they get the unit functional with 4-6 hours of battery life.

My comments ....

-psp case style is old...2004 old...there is even more bezel space... to fit the 45nm parts i assume.
-will Sony use a good www browser this time?
-what kind of video format it plays?
-what other uses do Sony see from PSP2?
-do they finally have a ...vision for their playstation family
-will Stringer-Kaz's Sony be as 'open' as Ken's Sony?
-can i install Android if not?
-default UI is ugly...blue background and kiddy circles? Steve Jobs is dying of laughter.
-what is the difference between OLED and AMOLED?
-can it render "3D"?
-i expect the 28nm/slider to come with a 3D screen if so...
-what is the sound chip used? 24/192 quality?
-applaudable to build PSP2 for hardcore gamers....but did Move failure not taught them anything....?
-this thing still look ugly...and out of place in the new century...

Farid, the rise of pad computing creates a void for all kinds of pad titles, including entertainment software. It's a growth area. In that sense, it competes with NGP for consumer time and money. But it should be covered by PS Suite. NGP should enable more specializes/focused gaming experience, which can be a different world altogether.

But it IS related to business...
Sure, but that was only one of three of jeff's questions. The other two were relating to PS Suite, which is a development kit and not a hardware platform.

There has to be a basic understanding of what the PSP2 can do before speculation on business. The three questions I asked if YES would answer how the PSP2 is going to work with the PS3 and provide a synergy that will help sell the PSP2.
But a 'no' to all three can still result in perfect synergy with other PS Suite devices as the questions aren't NGP specific. They are to do with PS Suite (starting to dislike that name already!). Like Java. It can be made to run on any hardware from a minimum spec up as long as someone writes the appropriate compilers and whatnot. Even if PS Suite uses direct OGL calls, someone can write OGL drivers for their hardware, and if not, they can write whatever drivers PS Suite needs to interface with the hardware.

So really that whole line of discussion is how successful PS Suite can be, and PS Suite is only a part of NGP. It definitely adds value, and trying to guess how much value is important to understanding the prospects for NGP, but we shouldn't be looking at NGP as just a PS Suite device. Even without NGP, PS Suite will run on people's mobiles and possibly PS3's and possibly TVs. PS Suite compatibility isn't unique to NGP and isn't dependent on NGP and if NGP is cancelled you'll still be able to buy PSSt games to play across all the PSSt enabled devices you can buy, which means even if PSSt is the thing I'm most excited about from this PlayStation Meeting, I don't have to buy NGP to use it so it isn't a USP to NGP.

In that respect, NGP is in competition with mobiles. It's the non-PSSt aspects that'll make or break it - the screen, batter life, native games and services.

Right, but if someone wants to play those Angry Layton games, why buy an NGP instead of an iP_d or (3)DS? The differentiator for NGP is that it can play those types of hardcore games, but if that market is too small, that's not going to carry it very far. I for one have a home console for those types of games. ;)

I think you've truncated that argument. The full argument is that there is lots of competition in the handheld space. Games are no longer the domain of handheld consoles, but tablets, mobiles, and of course there's Nintendo's offerings. There are lots of devices vying for our money. Which offer the best value? For those wanting AAA console games on the go, want to play COD on the bus, there's only one choice I concur. I can't imagine that's a large market though. For everyone else, there's the 'cool' factor of tablets and smart mobiles, the street-cred of iPod/iPhone, and the novelty and street-cred of 3DS to contend with. To those already buying into, or interested in buying into, Apple, Android and Nintendo, what is it about NGP that says, "hey, stop a minute and look at me and see I'm sooo much better than those other choices"?

I thought the OS was Android based in a similar fashion as smart phones
I don't like phones to play games all that much, to be honest, but I hope NGP will feature both kind of games, typical phones games to play for about 5 minutes and some "good" deep games -like pocket versions of PS3 games- with an actual story.

I won't buy it at launch because of the prize but it's the handheld that appeals me the most, by far. I never had a portable console and this one will be my first, so I'm kind of thrilled.

Nintendo's E3 was great and I was hyped about the 3DS at first, but as usual, Nintendo's hardware is overpriced for what it offers. It's their software which is truly stellar....

I love the title of the thread, NGP is certainly the Neo Geo of portable devices and consoles.

I just realized that NGP is probably one of the best controllers for (home) robots. You have the built-in touchscreen and gyro for 3D camera control and target/destination painting. Dual sticks for 3D movement and fine-grain camera adjustment. Plus a rear trackpad for querying on-screen objects without obscuring the view. You can even communicate with the target via touchscreen gestures and voice.

Too bad Sony killed Aibo ! May be make Sony cameras and tripods compatible with NGP ? Some AR games may be interesting too.

I just realized that NGP is probably one of the best controllers for (home) robots. You have the built-in touchscreen and gyro for 3D camera control and target/destination painting. Dual sticks for 3D movement and fine-grain camera adjustment. Plus a rear trackpad for querying on-screen objects without obscuring the view.

Too bad Sony killed Aibo ! May be make Sony cameras and tripods compatible with NGP ? Some AR games may be interesting too.

Conversely, in theory the robot would be better off with a 3DS fitted, as it would have dual cameras to see depth with (assuming that the 3DS is powerful enough to do meaningful image analysis, but let's say yes).

Ah yes, I believe Honda's Asimo uses dual cameras for computer vision and object recognition. ^_^

EDIT: I bought a RC helicopter recently. :)

I guess Kojima can do a Meta Gear sim on NGP.

Right, but if someone wants to play those Angry Layton games, why buy an NGP instead of an iP_d or (3)DS? The differentiator for NGP is that it can play those types of hardcore games, but if that market is too small, that's not going to carry it very far. I for one have a home console for those types of games. ;)

I think you've truncated that argument. The full argument is that there is lots of competition in the handheld space. Games are no longer the domain of handheld consoles, but tablets, mobiles, and of course there's Nintendo's offerings. There are lots of devices vying for our money. Which offer the best value? For those wanting AAA console games on the go, want to play COD on the bus, there's only one choice I concur. I can't imagine that's a large market though. For everyone else, there's the 'cool' factor of tablets and smart mobiles, the street-cred of iPod/iPhone, and the novelty and street-cred of 3DS to contend with. To those already buying into, or interested in buying into, Apple, Android and Nintendo, what is it about NGP that says, "hey, stop a minute and look at me and see I'm sooo much better than those other choices"?
I think the market you're referring to isn't one that Sony should be after. App store games are either free or inexpensive, and not terribly profitable for Apple. Apple makes money on hardware sales, and its device is the most mass market one for several reasons. If Sony were to follow this model it would alienate the hardcore, since most people wouldn't buy a device that reasonably supports the hardcore. They'd either find it too specialized for gaming or not small enough like Apple's iPod. I just can't see Sony ditching the hardcore audience, which is by no means small or insignificant, in favour of being outcompeted by Apple at what Apple does best.

Furthermore, I still haven't seen any iOS games that scratch the same itch that Monster Hunter or MGS Peace Walker do. Even if someone does make a game with a larger budget, more involved gameplay, and inevitably higher price, I think I'd find it a shame that it was released on the iOS where it's encumbered by limited controls.

The NGP by comparison does offer something for gamers who are interested in taking their game experiences beyond the standard iPod fare. It also supports the games those people are accustomed to, as well as Layton, Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk, Scribblenauts, and other games you could previously find only on the DS. The 3DS' big ticket feature, compelling as it may be, does less to distinguish it from the competition this time around in terms of gameplay.

I think the market you're referring to isn't one that Sony should be after. App store games are either free or inexpensive, and not terribly profitable for Apple. Apple makes money on hardware sales, and its device is the most mass market one for several reasons. If Sony were to follow this model...
I'm not saying Sony should abandon the 'hardcore' and chase the 'casual'. I'm saying the hardcore isn't a strong enough market to support an expensive new HW platform and the casual market is saturated and broken thanks to massive devaluing of software.

For NGP to sell it has to stand out on other grounds. It had the chance to have 3D and differentiate from iOS+smartphones, but they didn't go that route meaning Nintendo own that interest exclusively for the time being. They could have gone with a screen output and treat NGP as an ultra portable home console and media player with its own mini screen, but didn't go that route. So it's not appealing on those grounds either. All it's offering for non-hardcore gamers AFAICS is a better screen and a rear touchpad, the latter of which might work well but doesn't immediately strike me as a must-have feature. We're left with a handheld that'll sell 5 million units to those who want PS3 type games on the go. The rest of PSP's audience will surely migrate to other platforms that are either more cost effective (you have to have a mobile anyway), generally more popular, or other something excitingly new like 3D.

edit: putting it another way, Sony said they spoke with developers about what they wanted, which is why they didn't go 3D. I think that has to be a mistake. To make a popular product you have to ask what your customer wants. If 3D makes for crap games, but everyone wants it, it should go in. Unless you're not in the business of making, but take pride in your products as more works of art. ;)

Its my opinion that Sony should have targetted the Ipad and upcoming Android tablets and not simply released a new gen traditional like produsct on the handheld market. Its makes no sense to compete on this front. The Ipad and the upcoming tablets have penetrated the traditional handheld market to the point if you haven't differentiated your product from a hardware aspect enough they are going to directly compete for your customers.

The PSP2 is not going to compete well on the hardware front using a traditional handheld generation model because these tablets will see new hardware upgrades continually over time. And on the software front, third party devs will ultimately offer their wares on these ARM based tablets especially considering what inside the PSP2. And I don't see how Sony is going to rely on a pair of nubs, extra touch pads and game centric marketing as a major differentiator. In three years, you will have tablets much more capable on the visual front and nubs and track pads are easily and cheaply intergrated if they prove to be an advantage.

They would of been better off just going with Android and a bigger screen. Stripping out Google marketplace and putting in a Sony Store exclusive to the PSP2 and then encouraging developers of all the worthwhile apps on GM to migrate over, which would be rather easy. Removed the ability to side load apps and Sony would have had a ecosystem thats similar to Apple in a very short amount of time. Furthermore, they wouldn't have to soley rely on the PSP2 to drive growth of their marketplace. The overall android ecosystem would have helped in that area.

They should of dumped the game centric marketing for one thats based on wide ranging utility and opened the PSP2 to a broader market. Functionality such as remote access, viewing, streaming and control should of have been available out of the box for Sony internet based TVs, BluRays and audio products.

I think Kutaragi had the right ideal but used the wrong terminology and emphasis when he called the PS3 a "computer". He should of emphasized less on the hardware aspects of that comparsion and more on the ulitility with the primary focus on entertainment consumption. The "Play" in "Playstation" is expanding beyond traditional gaming, Sony should have embraced this with a competitve tablet product and emphasized this change in their marketing.

I like my Ipad because I can watch video, play games, read books, remote access my PCs, consume massive amounts of financial news as well have my 3 year son use the montessori and other learning apps. Tablets are going to see massive adoption over the next 10 years. And I think many consumers are not going to be encouraged on what will be a niche product that fits in between their tablets and their consoles especially when its features and functionalities simply overlap the capabilities of products they already own.

Sure, but that was only one of three of jeff's questions. The other two were relating to PS Suite, which is a development kit and not a hardware platform.

But a 'no' to all three can still result in perfect synergy with other PS Suite devices as the questions aren't NGP specific. They are to do with PS Suite (starting to dislike that name already!). Like Java. It can be made to run on any hardware from a minimum spec up as long as someone writes the appropriate compilers and whatnot. Even if PS Suite uses direct OGL calls, someone can write OGL drivers for their hardware, and if not, they can write whatever drivers PS Suite needs to interface with the hardware.

So really that whole line of discussion is how successful PS Suite can be, and PS Suite is only a part of NGP. It definitely adds value, and trying to guess how much value is important to understanding the prospects for NGP, but we shouldn't be looking at NGP as just a PS Suite device. Even without NGP, PS Suite will run on people's mobiles and possibly PS3's and possibly TVs. PS Suite compatibility isn't unique to NGP and isn't dependent on NGP and if NGP is cancelled you'll still be able to buy PSSt games to play across all the PSSt enabled devices you can buy, which means even if PSSt is the thing I'm most excited about from this PlayStation Meeting, I don't have to buy NGP to use it so it isn't a USP to NGP.

In that respect, NGP is in competition with mobiles. It's the non-PSSt aspects that'll make or break it - the screen, batter life, native games and services.

"The other two were relating to PS Suite, which is a development kit and not a hardware platform".

PS-Suite API requires OpenGL not low level? This makes it easier to sync screens between the PS3 and PSP2 as well as easier to port to Open GL platforms.
OpenCL used for on-the-Fly HDCP allowing video over Wifi? There has to be a way to display PSP2 video on TVs as well as through the PS3. I suspect that there is a scheme for wireless HDMI that makes use of the PSP2 hardware.

"and possibly PS3's" And that's a NO for the PS3.

But Tretton did confirm that Sony's PlayStation Suite of downloadable Android- and NGP-compatible games will also include non-gaming apps. Tretton initially told Engadget that these apps would be available on the PS3 as well, but quickly backtracked, saying he had misspoken.

I agree it should be possible. Too small a market or too difficult to port or a combination of both. So I suspect that ease in porting and creating a large list of available titles are necessary to establish a Store and market.

But Sony already has a store for the PS3 but no Apps, No porting of Apps from PS Suite, what gives? The best guess is the PS3 OS is not finished yet so Apps can't be ported.

Back