Official GT5 discussion thread

Shifty Geezer said:
According to Wiki, GT sold 26 million on PS2, and 7 million on PS3. Sony must be aware of that.

Wait. Does thus include all GT titles released on PS2?

Wut? GT5 has more content than any racing game, period. Not to mention more race types and varied racing conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
fearsomepirate said:
Given that the new tracks look pretty good, I don't think that wall was "reuse PS2 assets." IMO the game has the thumbprint of a management team that didn't know how to prioritize and direct the content creators in such a way as to create a consistent level of good quality across the entire game, rather than the wildly fluctuating level of quality this product has. How good the Corvette's headlights look in a photo mode close-up shot doesn't matter so much when in the game, you're driving it past blurry textures on trapezoid-shaped ridge lined with fourteen instances of a single plus-shaped tree.

They need to get their crap together for GT6. I doubt the market or their bosses will tolerate this for much longer.
They could have created those old tracks from scratch but I am sure, although possible, it would have been lots of work and pain in the ass to recreate them with that detail at above 720p rez 60fps and optimize them to run at a decent framerate.
I remember reading sometime ago that tracks like the Rome have taken months to recreate accurately (I believe it was more than 8). Watching those new mouthwatering tracks being rendered withh AA, above 720p resolution with 12-16 cars and 60fps is a crazy target. I am convinced PD has chosen the safe route by keeping old tracks as they are since that quaranteed good performance without too much hussle. Too much headache when there are memory limitations to work around on top of making 250+ cars that are modeled up to the tiniest detail (simply search for GTPlanets interior photomode images and you will get your jaw dropped. The interiors even have functional buttons), an engine that probably has the most realistic daynight cycle on the console+weather conditions(tracks that feature it account for humidity, snow, wind direction and temperature changed that may occure in a single event visually and non visually), tracks that were accurate to their real counterparts to the point where the Nurburghring was being updated constantly during the game's development with each change that occured on the real track.

Basically what we got was a 2 in 1. GT HD + GT5 in one disk mixed together. They put the two GT games they were considering initially as separates and mixed them.
It reminds me of the time they were making GT2000 for the PS2 but then transformed it to a GT3 game with less cars and many tracks missing from GT1 and GT2 when Yamauchi wanted imptoved quality. But this time they put them in one disk.
This may explain the clusterfuck in the menus, options, cars and events and why some cars exist in both standard and premium versions. Its like they fused them together to meet our high demands in terms of quantity and features using old content while trying to keep the high quality standards through the newly developed assets. I think they changed their minds up to some point and decided to include everything and update them with new assets. Hence the continuous delays. When they saw it was impossible with the 150 employees that they had it was too late and they just fused the old assets with the new and called evetything GT5.
Cant say I am happy with the inconsisyency but it still has some amazing work. Some diffetences stick out like a sore thump :s
Things might have looked better if GT5 was released earlier with less....or probably not if people were complaining for having less thanks to our high expectations

fearsomepirate said:
Not true. Forza 3 and 4 both have more new content than GT5 does.
Innaccurate. That doesnt say anything about total content. Total content it still more in GT5 even if we assume that F3 and 4 have more new content than F2. But that would still be unsurprising considering how much F2 lacked in terms of content ;)

Innaccurate.
Uh, it's 100% accurate. Maybe you should look up the definition of new? ;)
That doesnt say anything about total content. Total content it still more in GT5
And the Splinter Cell Classic Trilogy HD has more content than the upcoming Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Difference is it's not new. Other developers don't try to bundle in last-gen content with a paltry amount of current-gen content and pass it off as a new product. PD is literally the only studio I've seen pull this on the PS3 or the 360.
They could have created those old tracks from scratch but I am sure, although possible, it would have been lots of work and pain in the ass to recreate them with that detail at above 720p rez 60fps and optimize them to run at a decent framerate.
Turn 10 managed to do it, and in less time, too--Forza 3 came out a year earlier.
(simply search for GTPlanets interior photomode images and you will get your jaw dropped. The interiors even have functional buttons),
Anybody who thinks modeling functional interior buttons in a driving game is more important than modeling race tracks is not competent to manage a team of any size.

fearsomepirate said:
definition of new does not equal more.
And the Splinter Cell Classic Trilogy HD has more content than the upcoming Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Difference is it's not new. Other developers don't try to bundle in last-gen content with a paltry amount of current-gen content and pass it off as a new product. PD is literally the only studio I've seen pull this on the PS3 or the 360.
But this comment was not referring to a bundle not to the assets but to the amount of modes, options, racing conditions, styles of racing yada yada for which many could have been complaining if they didnt make it
Turn 10 managed to do it, and in less time, too--Forza 3 came out a year earlier.
with triple the employees, cars that werent fully modeled, no 1080p forced in their asses by MS,no weather conditions and nightime changes, no all tracks made it to the sequel, lots of fictional tracks, tracks that arent as accurate as many of the real location based tracks that were done from scratch for GT5, car lod model inaccuracies...they also made many sacrifices or omissions to get that result sooner. F is not the same game.....did you read my post carefully?

T10's work is different and F is a narrower series with a tighter focus. They didnt try to do what PD aimed to do so that isnt even a real like for like comparison. If T10 made all of what PD tried to include then yes. But they didnt, so its unknown (ecxept assume) if T10 could come up with a GT5 better and sooner, because such a game doesnt even exist. Its not F3 nor F4 so its even pointless to discuss wheather T10 is a better example
Anybody who thinks modeling functional interior buttons in a driving game is more important than modeling race tracks is not competent to manage a team of any size.
Those functional buttons are visible in cockpit while you play. Those buttons turn on and off according to daylight transitions.
The guy had more passion for the cars than the looks of the old tracks and despite that, the newly modeled tracks had the same attention. The Nurburghring is as accurate as it can get. Are you going to say T10 is incompetent that they got the looks better and accurate in lacuna seca unlike GT but the actual length , width, bumps, and angles of Nurburghring wrong in both F3 and 4? What? Looks and style over faithfull representation of the tracks elevation, length and angles in a simulation? :p

Both are incompetent then

Hehehe, that "last gen content" really doesn't matter to those that enjoy the game, the cars doesn't feel last gen when you race on Nurnburg, neither does the "old tracks" if anything i would rather have more old stuff to enjoy. And after 2 years, you don't really care that much you just enjoy the longevity of the best racing game to ever be released (imho).

The biggest issue with GT5 is the lack of challenges in the game, and the openness where it's left up to the player to balance the challenge in the limited, sandbox racing :-/. The constant new seasonal challenges are cool though, they keep the game fresh, but for the most seasoned they are a bit to easy.

If the finished GT5 would have been released 2008 it would have sold shitloads and really pushed the PS3 in the market as well. Unfortunately for Sony and us gamers, PD could not deliver that.
GT3 did amazingly for PS2 as a 'photorealistic' racer that really highlighted the generational advance and gave a great game to boot. However, had GT5 been similar on PS3, would it really have done as well? It appears tastes are shifting away from racing games. GT5 has been available for years yet still sold only half as many as GT3. That's basically half the racing gamers not interested in racing in GT. Assuming other racers aren't taking them away, it appears the genre is just on its way out. That's happened to every genre so is to be expected. I don't know how much blame can be attributed to execution. I feel GTHD probably did more harm then good, but PD needed a product. I really think they should have aimed at less launch content but awesome polish, and released DLC over the years to grow the content to make the ultimate car experience they wanted. I suppose DLC was too much an unknown in the design phase though to commit to such a course of action.

FWIW from the numbers I've seen Polyphony is still Sony's most profitable studio, changing development process externally when that's the case is a hell of a risk. IME you have as good a chance of killing the studio as changing it for the better.
I find that...shocking! More profitable than ND? 7 million units of GT5 with a massive development crew, versus 14 million Uncharteds plus DLC with I believe a smaller dev team - how can PD be more profitable?

GT5 has been available for years yet still sold only half as many as GT3

Even if you compensate for the platform? (PS2 being far more dominant and successful than PS3) Not that the two aren't somewhat related, but still.

One thing i would like to know about GT5 graphics is, did they manage to put all the graphics in the 256 MB vram or did they spread out the whole thing between the 2 pools of ram?

I find that...shocking! More profitable than ND? 7 million units of GT5 with a massive development crew, versus 14 million Uncharteds plus DLC with I believe a smaller dev team - how can PD be more profitable?

From the numbers I've seen, yes more profitable than ND. ND is #2 followed by Santa Monica.
As I said before the numbers I've seen show considerably more than the 7M you're quoting.
Doesn't help that ND is in southern Ca, I'd guess (and I've never seen the numbers) that on average a ND employee would be paid 2-3x what a PD employee is paid.

Surprising. Thanks for the info. That also explains why PD can continue to command a position of control in their unique approach to game development. An approach copied by Team ICO (two games per generation if you're lucky) but without the success. ;)

Fair point. Double the install base of PS2 would mean about similar sales.

There is no rule saying doubling an install base equals double sales. There are saturation points as well as demographic realities (early adopter buying patterns can differ from those of the end-generation budget buyers for example).

As for Fearsome's comment, he said "new content." It would be fair to say, "True, but that doesn't matter" but telling him he is wrong and then changing what he said, as a couple above did, isn't real dialogue. And I will just add these 2 cents: Yeah, "next gen content" on a "next gen title" that is supposedly the "standard of next gen racing" I wouldn't be inclined to include the nearly 1,000 last fugly cars. GT5 launched with a little over 200 "Premium" aka "new, next gen content" cars. Some gamers don't care. Some like fearsome do care.

Some of you just care about content, period.
Other care about the quality of that content, period.

On another note, Roberts point about where in the lifecycle of the product sales were achieved is important. I have seen $20 sales on GT for a while. Collecting budget sales that bump up total title sales isn't a reflection of how well the title did compared to previous ones if those had mammoth launch window/$50 sales points.

On another note, Roberts point about where in the lifecycle of the product sales were achieved is important. I have seen $20 sales on GT for a while. Collecting budget sales that bump up total title sales isn't a reflection of how well the title did compared to previous ones if those had mammoth launch window/$50 sales points.

And also no DLC ...

GT4 and GT3 also had price drops. And GT4 had prologue version and GT3 had some other special versions.

PD's also done a lot of stuff under contract with car companies. That's got to be pretty profitable:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphony_Digital#Other_projects

To add to what Acert93 said, GT1-4 had a really broad appeal because they were a combination of top-notch graphics, a huge collection of cars, lots of unique race tracks, realistic physics, a huge range of events, customization, and so on. Different people will care about different things to a different degree. But GT did all of them really well, so no matter what was important to you, GT would deliver it. That's not true any more. The only thing the GT series is regarded as hands-down the best at is doing time trials due to the realistic physics and careful track modeling. Everything else---including the racing due to bumper-car AI---now feels way behind where it should be.

And that means it doesn't have much appeal to people who cared about all the other things it used to be best at.

Back