PS3 Firmware 3.50

Let's see... new updates can bring any of these to the table too:
* Blu-ray Managed Copy (Will have to see whether it's in this 3D Blu-ray update)
* Move-enabled web browser
* XMB NetFlix
* Cross game chat
* Hulu Plus (waiting for beta to end)
* Qriocity music app (for EU).
* Photo Memories (3D Photo app in HK and Japan)
If you're speaking purely hypothetically, yes, but in terms of what we can expect from any given real firmware update, no. :p

Even less of a point with this update then. Seriously, what's it been since the last one, two weeks? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why Sony has to do all these piddly updates (often followed by an update to the update - and more than once an update to the update of the update). Once or twice a year like MS does it is too seldom, but this is too fuckin' often.

CONSOLIDATE!!!

Maybe you can ask hackers to consolidate their attacks to one month a year too, and coordinate that with Sony's 'fall update' ... ;)

I think one of the main reasons has been that the 3D update was delayed presumably now because of issues with gettng the BD-J to work in 3D on the PS3, but they didn't want to delay it more than this (although they almost did).

Shame it seems the PS3 plays vanilla Dolby D and DTS during 3D BR playback. Does that also hold true for games? Really unfortunate if that's the case.

Maybe you can ask hackers to consolidate their attacks to one month a year too, and coordinate that with Sony's 'fall update' ... ;)

Silly post. There have been 47 firmware updates since the PS3 was released, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of them weren't 'hacker' related.

Maybe Grall feels 47 is somewhat excessive in, what, 4 years? Maybe he feels that some firmware updates add almost nothing new, and better planning would allow some of those updates to be consolidated?

And maybe he also feels (though he hasn't stated it) that it would be nice if Sony could actually start to implement updates into their firmware, rather that being fairly large (and often very slow, due to PSN speed issues) firmware replacements?

I think Grall has a valid right to ask questions of Sony's firmware update policy, rather than just blindly accepting it as the best way to to it because that's the way Sony do it.

Yes, but it is not like he is the first to ever question this ... I was just responding to the complaint about the previous one being two weeks ago (when the PS3 was compromised).

I already take it as a given that it would have been nice and prevented a lot of complaints if Firmware updates could be done as 'patches'.

On a different note, some people seem to complain that the depth of 3D on the Playstation 3 BluRay playback is perhaps a bit too agressive according to at least some people's tastes. There doesn't seem to be a configuration setting for this yet. Also, there is confirmation that when you call up the (BD-J) menu on the PS3, the display switches back to 2D.

How can the player affect the 3Dness? The BRD encodes left and right eyes exactly as cut by the movie crew. These frames are shown, as cut, on the TV. The only way the player could affect the effect is if it offsets the left and right images a bit, which would be screwy.

How can the player affect the 3Dness? The BRD encodes left and right eyes exactly as cut by the movie crew. These frames are shown, as cut, on the TV. The only way the player could affect the effect is if it offsets the left and right images a bit, which would be screwy.

Just reporting what GAF says. But I don't think this is that weird - the 3DS has a slider that can set the amount of depth a 3D image gets. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being an option in most players and/or TVs in the near future. It could even be an issue with the way the device is connected to the TV (as for this user both devices are connected simultaneously) and/or different filter/settings for the input. I'm sure we'll find out more details soon.

3DS is changing the barrier for the lenticular display - it's a display based modification. Unless a player is processing the two images to generate intermediaries, similar to audio stereo spacial enhancement, there's no way they should be affecting what's seen. That'll come entirely down to how the display is rendering the two frames it gets. Players should just be passing those two frames on!

If you're speaking purely hypothetically, yes, but in terms of what we can expect from any given real firmware update, no. :p

Yap, they are features announced or misreported by Sony officials, leaked by developers, or available in other regions.

The original report about PS3's gimped 3D Blu-ray capabilities is:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=28411

However, there are also some limitations on Blu-ray 3D disc playback. The 3D display of some elements such as menus and subtitles may be different on the PS3 system than on other 3D playback devices. Depending on the content, some BD-J (Blu-ray Disc Java) features such as BONUSVIEW and BD-Live may not play in 3D or may not function properly on the PS3 system. In addition, when Dolby TrueHD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in Dolby Digital during playback of Blu-ray 3D content. Last but not least, when DTS-HD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in DTS during playback of Blu-ray 3D content.

Wonder why they brought the release date forward.

Ah, maybe it's the stereo separation (distance) of menus and subtitles that people are complaining about? That should be tweakable with a menu option, although I hope 3D authoring specs provide a formula for consistent rendering of distance. Without such a specification, rendering of 3D elements will vary. And with such a specification, you'd hope conformity among players, although history shows up people have a devil of a time accurately following specifications!

3DS is changing the barrier for the lenticular display - it's a display based modification. Unless a player is processing the two images to generate intermediaries, similar to audio stereo spacial enhancement, there's no way they should be affecting what's seen. That'll come entirely down to how the display is rendering the two frames it gets. Players should just be passing those two frames on!
Audio processing is trivial in comparison. There's no object occlusion and revelation to take account of when "moving" channels or spectral components around. It's like you're processing video frames composed of two pixels.

Did you read the presentation linked in the 30=>60fps framerate "upconversion" thread? It's a nice exploration of the issues that come up when you try to move individual objects in already finished frame.

what the hell..??
I tried signing in but it propmted that the password or email-id is incorrect....and when I tried to recheck it the password that was saved into the PS3's memory got deleted....so I entered my password again but it showed that its incorrect yet again, turns out its due to the fact that PSN is down.

Now had I forgotten my password (since I always keep it on auto sign in) I would've been in some deep shit.

If they do, I haven't noticed them in the past year.

I know MS now has a very nice cloud infrastructure code-named Azure. Azure itself can do rolling updates without affecting service quality of the hosted applications. It's really quite a thing of beauty. I'd be very surprised if they don't use this for XBL.

Back