God of War Collection – Blu-ray Disc Compilation

The GOWIII demo has been present at E3 and lots of other on the road shows. It should be ready for the disc. Well maybe.

They are not happy with the E3 demo in terms of letting it out into peoples homes. They have higher standards that what the E3 demo offers apparently

I wonder what he meant by the first sentence.

I think he's trying to say that it's not a straight "port" in the sense that if you do a straight "port" you typically don't try to improve the code. I goes on to add that they are trying to "remaster" those titles -- improve them for the PS3. He even suggests they're open to replacing assets, implementing new features (trophy support), and improving frame-rate.

Most developers view "ports" as a quick and dirty process:

* Copy the original source to the new project/dev system
* Search source for known areas that need to be changed / use custom scripts or automated tools to fix
* Compile it to see what doesn't compile
* Modify source until it compiles
* Test/QA
* Ship it.

Yeah, but what will be different with GoW here? I mean, will they totally rewrite stuff, just for the sake of it (i.e. not being a port)? Ok, adding the small things like the videos and upping some settings (which come naturally through the much faster hardware)... still, I don't see them doing much more than a straight forward port... at least in these days.

I think the additional trophy support implies this is more than just your standard port. Not pleased about them only supporting 720p natively though. It could easily support 1080p with the old PS2 assets.

I doubt there'd be much use for that high of a resolution for a game with these assets anyway. A 1080p screenshot of a 256x256 low-frequency texture isn't going to be much of an improvement over a 720p shot (for example). And given the limited scope of the gameplay environment, what more use would there be in cutting the fillrate by more than 50% :?: Just to see objects in the distance? IMO, diminishing returns... and it's not like the originals were 60fps either...

I'm guessing it will look sharper and a lot cleaner looking, which is good enough for me.

Exactly. The game holds up very well. I was playing God of War this year, and it's still great. Add some trophies and give it a res/AA/AF boost and you're good to go. I'd be really really surprised if they did anything else, but it's all gravy.

A straight engine port with max resolution support of 720p? I think it's a little sad, however good looking GoWs were on PS2.

They had a pretty tough time in various spots with 30 frames per second from what I recall... *shrug*

edit: not v-locked either

It could be that it wouldn't do to have GOWs 1 and 2 running at a higher resolution than 3.

I think this has to be a serious consideration!

I'd be inclined to believe that Sony would be putting a bit of pressure on them not to enhance the visuals "too much", as that way when people see GOW3 it will still retain it's WOW factor;)

It could be that it wouldn't do to have GOWs 1 and 2 running at a higher resolution than 3.

Anyway, a 1080p version of the PS2 game would never look anywhere near as good as a 720p PS3 game so that really isn't an issue for me.

It is more likely to be what Alstrong suggested re: diminising returns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks go to Kotaku for asking the question:

"Asking Publishers About Other PS2-To-Blu-Ray Releases"
http://kotaku.com/5350600/asking-publishers-about-other-ps2+to+blu+ray-releases

"We are constantly exploring unique ways to expose players to some of our legacy titles such as Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill", a Konami representative told us. "Re-releasing games on Blu-ray presents an exciting opportunity for a publisher, however we have no announcements at this time".

"I don't want anyone reading this the wrong way (as I'm not saying anything like this could happen) but I'm seeing some interested for DMC to get this treatment", said Capcom's Christian Svensson, posting on the company's Unity forums. "Are there other titles you'd like see go this way? I'm looking for some temperature readings".

"We're always looking at new ways of getting content on PS3", Sony's Patrick Seybold told us, "but as of now, [God of War] is the only one planned."

...more in the link above.

I guess the devs need to balance between natural interface games, new next-gen core games, and ported PS2 games. If it's difficult to port, the chance is going to be slim.

Hopefully this GOW collection will prove to be very successful, convincing more developers to give it a try.

Still I find odd that they aren't going to put some extra effort in to get a GOW 3 demo in there. Seeing how well it has managed to increase sales for games like Zone of the Enders, which came with a MGS 2 demo.

Still I find odd that they aren't going to put some extra effort in to get a GOW 3 demo in there. Seeing how well it has managed to increase sales for games like Zone of the Enders, which came with a MGS 2 demo.

Wasn't the E3 demo running off of a devkit? (thinking of memory concerns and other debug code) Considering it is also a third-party development house handling this, I'd be hesitant to assume it would be so easy as Santa Monica just handing over the demo as is for Bluepoint work into a worthy public demo, even if they have giant disclaimers saying it's from an ancient
Greek
build.

Hopefully this GOW collection will prove to be very successful, convincing more developers to give it a try.

I don't think you need God of War to promote God of War. :D That is to say I think the point of bundling demos (or beta access, as has been the recent trend) in such cases is to increase exposure of lesser known franchises (or new IPs) using more established and popular IPs.

For example, bundling the GoWIII demo with a game like MAG might help sales there.

Back