God of War Collection – Blu-ray Disc Compilation

DrJay24

Veteran
Thanks to your feedback, we are excited to announce the God of War Collection for this Holiday Season. Now fans and newcomers to the series can experience the epic journey of God of War and God of War II in 720p HD form. Both titles have been remastered with anti-aliased graphics, running at 60 frames per second for a smooth gameplay experience, only on the PS3 system. Additionally, the Blu-ray Disc compilation will bring the PlayStation Network (PSN) trophy support to the franchise for the very first time.
This is your chance to experience God of War is its true form before the chaos of God of War III hits store shelves come March 2010.

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA ANNOUNCES
GOD OF WAR® COLLECTION, A NEW COMPILATION OFFERING FOR PLAYSTATION®3
Exclusive God of War® and God of War® II Blu-ray Disc Compilation
Available This Holiday Season
FOSTER CITY, Calif., September 1, 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced today a new and exclusive PlayStation®3 (PS3™) offering for the critically acclaimed God of War® franchise, God of War® Collection. Scheduled for release this holiday season, God of War Collection will feature reworked versions of both God of War® and God of War® II on a single Blu-ray Disc™ at full 1280 x 720 resolution. Both critically acclaimed games, which were originally developed for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, have been remastered with anti-aliased graphics running at 60 frames per second for a smooth gameplay experience on the PS3 system. Additionally, the Blu-ray Disc compilation will bring PlayStation®Network (PSN) trophy support to the franchise for the first time (included for both games). God of War Collection offers substantial value to PS3 consumers, the compilation of both best-selling games costing just $39.99 MSRP.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...sc-compilation-available-this-holiday-season/

WOW. Day one.

That's great. I am more curious about the technical side of things rather than the games myself. e.g., How did they rewrite the portion that rely on PS2's esoteric architecture ?

EDIT: Beaten by AlStrong !

That's great. I am more curious about the technical side of things rather than the games myself. e.g., How did they rewrite the portion that rely on PS2's esoteric architecture ?

Beaten by Both :LOL:
I wanted to say the same

I hope they re-release more PS2 games like this.
Imagine SotC without the slowdown and in 720p... :D

Even better if they would offer it through PSN.

A re-released SotC and ICO, my friend, would make my day. Perhaps when The Last Guardian is released.

They fact they are going for 720p rather than 1080p suggests that there is going to be more going on than just upressing the original games to me.

Beaten by Both :LOL:
I wanted to say the same

Mods have a direct brain connection to the forum just for this purpose. :yes:
They fact they are going for 720p rather than 1080p suggests that there is going to be more going on than just upressing the original games to me.

Hard to say really... They could be doing it for the sake of MSAA and a more solid 60fps. We'll just have to wait and see then. :)

Maybe this is going to be Sonys response to the backwards compatibility issue. Re-use all the old assets for game and release a HD version and make a little more cash in the process. There are reams of old PS2 games I'd love to see on the PS3 e.g. Timesplitters!

Well, the press quote doesn't mention anything else ! If they upresing textures, they would have surely mentioned that. What about LODs, will they disable LODs so that we can have higher res geometry in the distance too.

I doubtt they will do all that, it might mean a LOT of work !
EDIT: Trophies are the real Deal here ! THey are a real factor in buying games these days :) !

Maybe this is going to be Sonys response to the backwards compatibility issue. Re-use all the old assets for game and release a HD version and make a little more cash in the process. There are reams of old PS2 games I'd love to see on the PS3 e.g. Timesplitters!

I doubt it. This game must be using a new engine to be running on PS3 so the effort to do it just wouldnt be worth it

God of War Collection will feature reworked versions of both God of War® and God of War® II on a single Blu-ray Disc™ at full 1280 x 720 resolution.

Does this mean it's a port and not just a quick upscale move? I don't know anything about the company doing the game and there are no screen shots so I'm a bit worried.

Wowza. I really hope this is a solid BC solution that can be easily extended to other titles, if for no other reason than being a fabulous technological achievement!

Back