KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue [PS4]

D

Deleted member 11852

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- SQUARE ENIX® and Disney Interactive today revealed that development has begun on KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, a compilation that brings the popular KINGDOM HEARTS [Dream Drop Distance] to the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system platform remastered in high definition.

Originally released in 2012, KINGDOM HEARTS [Dream Drop Distance] HD is a full-HD remastered version of KINGDOM HEARTS 3D [Dream Drop Distance]. Series protagonists Sora and Riku take on the Mark of Mastery exam in preparation for coming threats. The signature action of the KINGDOM HEARTS series has evolved, allowing players to experience faster-paced battles and exploration at a blistering pace.

This newly remastered title also features:
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep A Fragmentary Passage
    • A completely new playable episode that links to the story of KINGDOM HEARTS III, taking place after the storyline of KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep played from the perspective of Aqua.
  • KINGDOM HEARTS χ[chi] Back Cover (movie)
    • A new HD movie that tells the mysterious story of the Foretellers, connecting the earliest parts of the series' history, showcased in the upcoming mobile title KINGDOM HEARTS Unchained χ[chi].
Event_sora.jpg

KH0.jpg

I have no idea what this is. I assume it is not KH1 or KH2, neither of which I have played. Which the new one next year, KH3? Is there any way to catch up on the PS4?

I have no idea what this is. I assume it is not KH1 or KH2, neither of which I have played. Which the new one next year, KH3? Is there any way to catch up on the PS4?

KH 1.5 and 2.5 are on the PS3. Best to get those.

This includes another of the spinoff games, a prologue movie for a second that isn't out yet, and a new small game taking place after one of the spin off games that links its storyline to this one.

There is now a Wikipedia page for the game which currently reads:

History
In January 2011, with the release of Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix a secret ending was discovered, titled "Birth by Sleep: Volume 2". The content, which was looked like it bridged the gap between Birth by Sleep and the original Kingdom Hearts, was believed to be a potential future game in the series.[1] In October 2014, on the content seen in the secret ending, series director Tetsuya Nomura stated, "It shows the existence of Aqua's story in the Realm of Darkness. It means that she didn't just wander about in the Darkness for ten years, but that she passed through many experiences. However, it is a "Fragmentary Passage", as the same suggests–that story was severed and wasn't told. I hope I can tell it when given the opportunity."[2]

In the credits of Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix, clips of Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance were shown as well as the inclusion of a secret ending related to the game, hinting at a possible additional collection.[3] In September 2015, Square Enix announced Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, for release in 2016.[4]

Games
The collection features an HD remaster of Dream Drop Distance as well as Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover, set to tell the tale of the Foretellers and revealing new parts of the series' history in HD cinematics, and Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep–A Fragmentary Passage, a new part of the story taking place after the events of the original Birth by Sleep, told from the perspective of Aqua.[4][5] A Fragmentary Passage, which ties into Kingdom Hearts III, is set immediately after Dream Drop Distance, when King Mickey reveals that he has a few secrets to confess, relating to Aqua and her time in the Realm of Darkness.[6]

I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game so I'm still none the wiser.

Ya, I think I'm out unless KH3 is playable as a first time game in the franchise. This stuff is twisted and confusing.

It's a sequel to a spin off based on a secret ending?

Next!!!!!!

They need to remaster KH1 and 2, then we can proceed with 3. No more messing around with spin offs that were only released on portable devices FFS!

Next!!!!!!

They need to remaster KH1 and 2, then we can proceed with 3. No more messing around with spin offs that were only released on portable devices FFS!

I really wouldn't qualify episodes like Birth by Sleep or Dream Drop Distance spin-off just cause they were released on portable consoles out of the numeric order. Most of this games are actually pretty important to the development of the overall story arch and both graphically and as gameplay have little to envy to the big brothers on consoles.

This is a remake of the 3DS title Dream Drop Distance (3 Ds, ha ha) and an episode that happens after the events of Birth By Sleep, which is the PSP title.
They're all canon.

I only played Birth by Sleep and I found it to be really fun, even though I didn't know the background story beforehand.
The only characters that they don't introduce are the Disney ones, whose personal traits don't really need introduction if you ever saw cartoons as a kid.

Next!!!!!!

I agree , my gf wants to play the originals since she had never heard of them previously. But we aren't about to buy a playstation 1/2 to play them. If they don't announce them soon we will go to emulation esp with the steam controller coming out

KH 1 and 2 were already remade for the Playstation 3, as KH 1.5 and 2.5.
KH 1.5 also included the Re: Chain of Memories (remake of the PS2 title which was by itself a remake of a GBA title) and a 3 hour movie telling the story of 385/2 days (DS title originally made with sprites).
KH 2.5 got a remake of Birth by Sleep, the PSP title, and a movie telling the story of KH: Coded, a mobile title exclusive to NTT Docomo customers.

Basically, if you play KH1.5, KH2.5 for the PS3 and KH2.8 for the PS4 you get pretty much everything there is about Kingdom Hearts.

Small correction, Coded was later ported to the DS as Re:Coded. Also, 358/2 Days is a 3D title on the DS. It used polygons and whatnot.

KH 1.5 also included the Re: Chain of Memories (remake of the PS2 title which was by itself a remake of a GBA title) and a 3 hour movie telling the story of 385/2 days (DS title originally made with sprites).
KH 2.5 got a remake of Birth by Sleep, the PSP title, and a movie telling the story of KH: Coded, a mobile title exclusive to NTT Docomo customers.

Basically, if you play KH1.5, KH2.5 for the PS3 and KH2.8 for the PS4 you get pretty much everything there is about Kingdom Hearts.
Yea but then you have the xbox one which is getting part 3 but has no way for its players to get part 1 and 2. So I bet we see a re release next year.

Don't underestimate the power of the SquareEnix re-re-remaster.

Don't underestimate the power of the SquareEnix re-re-remaster.

Which has almost happened. FF10/10-2 got ported to the PS4 with some additional graphical goodies(Including fixing up the few frame rate issues the PS3 had in certain spots) and adding a few really nasty bugs(THE RNG WAS COMPLETELY BROKEN IN 10 FOR FUCK'S SAKES) that were only fixed like two weeks ago. :D

Edit: Is there any way to selectively shut off smiles for posts? It's a lot harder to tell if a smile is being used sarcastically when it's a graphic rather than text.

From the PlayStation blog:

Hello Kingdom Hearts fans! Did you get a chance to see the new gameplay trailer for the upcoming Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, which showcases Aqua, one of the original Keyblade wielders, and her battle against the Heartless? The battle is featured in a completely new playable episode in Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep – A fragmentary passage -, which is included in the HD compilation and includes next-generation graphics.

The brand-new storyline will provide players with a preview of the upcoming events of the highly anticipated Kingdom Hearts III.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue also includes Kingdom Hearts χ [chi] Back Cover, a new tale that sheds light on the mysterious foretellers, as well as new HD gameplay from Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

It was so hard to contain my excitement when I saw the mysterious Foretellers come to life. We all huddled around the trailer to watch the segment a few times over! Take a peek now if you haven’t seen it yet:

We’re extremely thrilled to see fans getting their hands on Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue at the Square Enix booth at this year’s E3. If you are at E3, be sure you do stop by our booth to say hello!

Back