RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So parity on Rage looks something like: PC version hobbled by the other two; the 360 is fast and easy; and getting things running on PS3 is like pulling teeth.

Wow Rage is looking real good, kudos to JC and the id team. The game's atmosphere is really creepy, yet another game on my want list. It looks like a mix of Road Warrior + Star Wars + Bladerunner + Texas Chainsaw Massacre.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I fail to see how from these details you have determined that there's no assets conversion. Just because it's fast or it looks the same (from a video..) it doesn't mean is not there.
For example PC, 360 and PS3 don't share the same endianess..

I have not determined anything. I haven't seen id Tech 5/Rage first hand. I'm merely relaying what the developers have said, what reporters that have watched the game running (not video) on all system have observed and the fact the assets we're talking about take up multiple gigabytes.

Is it possible id is lying about the shared assets? Yes. Is it possible those people that saw the game running are lying and/or not very observant? Yes.

Is it possible id is lying about the shared assets? Yes. Is it possible those people that saw the game running are lying and/or not very observant? Yes.
I think you missed my point, I'm not really disputing this.
If you re-read my post you'd see I was saying that while I find believable that all platforms share the same assets this doesn't mean data are encoded/packet/stored/whatever in the same way for each platform.

The entire point of megatexture is that PCs shouldn't enjoy any advantages because of having more video RAM; and any fillrate stuff is compensated by the 720p resolution of the consoles. It should look completely similar on all systems.

Well, they did say that but look at Quake wars. I downloaded the demo on my ps3 to check how good megatextures makes the game look. I was under the same impression that it should look similar to the pc version as it uses megatexture, but it turned out to be one of the worst looking game (In the demo atleast).

Either thay have improved their megatexturing tech now or its the PC version for showcasing.

(The video does look the best for me, I love the dusty mood which has been done very convincingly.But I am thinking of playing it on my PC, not sure about the ps3 version after Quake Wars)

EDIT: Just watched the interview on Kotaku and Carmack said that Quake wars really suffered due to porting by a different company and to avoid that, they are making all versions in their studio and the game would be equal on all platforms.He does say that ps3 , sometimes, is the limiting factor. :( Never wanted to hear those words after MGS4's show of graphics, but it is the sad truth I guess.

Well, they did say that but look at Quake wars. I downloaded the demo on my ps3 to check how good megatextures makes the game look. I was under the same impression that it should look similar to the pc version as it uses megatexture, but it turned out to be one of the worst looking game (In the demo atleast).

Either thay have improved their megatexturing tech now or its the PC version for showcasing.

(The video does look the best for me, I love the dusty mood which has been done very convincingly.But I am thinking of playing it on my PC, not sure about the ps3 version after Quake Wars)

EDIT: Just watched the interview on Kotaku and Carmack said that Quake wars really suffered due to porting by a different company and to avoid that, they are making all versions in their studio and the game would be equal on all platforms.He does say that ps3 , sometimes, is the limiting factor. :( Never wanted to hear those words after MGS4's show of graphics, but it is the sad truth I guess.

Well if this game runs at 60fps on the PS3 and looks identical to its PC counterpart then your shiny new 4850 should be able to handle 1920x1200 with 8xMSAA/16xAF without any trouble. I'd say thats reason to pick up the PC version ;)

I think you missed my point, I'm not really disputing this.
If you re-read my post you'd see I was saying that while I find believable that all platforms share the same assets this doesn't mean data are encoded/packet/stored/whatever in the same way for each platform.

Ok, I'll bite. ;) Is this something you'll like to see answered in an article/interview?

I'm a bit rusty on MT... Mip levels aren't an issue :?:

In your regular texture mapping you load the entire texture + mipmap pyramid even if on screen only the higher mipmap level is visible. With MT you only load into memory the current mipmap level so you save tons of memory. Check our ETQW MT article.

I think there's a JC quote from an interview (can't find it now) where he said Rage per-frame texture budget could fit on a 16mb video card. I don't know if that's still true but from my ETQW MT experiments it requires only 13mb directly, +7mb for the specular map, etc.

So, MT's lower texture memory benefits consoles more than it does PCs because consoles have less video ram + system ram than even low-end PCs. There are other benefits to MT of course but this one fixes the console's Achilles' heel.

:oops: colour me impressed. Thanks for the link (I likely read all of it before and forgot :oops: ).

Ok, I'll bite. ;) Is this something you'll like to see answered in an article/interview?

My understanding from that vid on Kotaku is that there is some automated manipulation/conversion of assets as they are committed to their database. The Mac is the only platform that currently requires some manual manipulation of the assets. whome0 mentioned this earlier in the thread. I'd have to watch it again

Does this game have multiplayer and if so can we expect crossplatform online gaming?

Does this game have multiplayer and if so can we expect crossplatform online gaming?

I'd guess yes and no. I'm sure it will have multiplayer of some sort, but the only crossplatform I can envision would be between PC and 360 because of Live, or maybe Mac and PC. I don't think the 360 and PS3 will ever play nice with eachother because they use different gaming services.

I'd guess yes and no. I'm sure it will have multiplayer of some sort, but the only crossplatform I can envision would be between PC and 360 because of Live, or maybe Mac and PC. I don't think the 360 and PS3 will ever play nice with eachother because they use different gaming services.

Last year they said Rage would have COOP but not any cross-platform play (well, PCs and Macs - and Linux? - can play together of course).

If you hunt down JC's QCon 2007 keynote you'll hear him discuss this a bit more.

My understanding from that vid on Kotaku is that there is some automated manipulation/conversion of assets as they are committed to their database. The Mac is the only platform that currently requires some manual manipulation of the assets. whome0 mentioned this earlier in the thread. I'd have to watch it again

I think they were referring to the build system there. They have shared source tree and compilation spits out the three binaries (+ extra step for the mac version).

RAGE as a multiplatform game will have to prove itself against the established games like Halo, Gears, CoD, Resistance and Killzone II when that gets released so as far as performance and any criticisims John Carmack may make, specially about PS3 (he has called CellBE a rat-hole) will be null and debunked if another game dev proves his statements incorrect.

Also the consoles is not something that Id Software has managed to crack into real good in the past, Epic Games, Valve and the CoD people have been there done that already so IMHO JC's RAGE is going up a steep hill climb.

Other than that I do hope JC realizes the need to not only have RAGE and Doom 4 and even Wolfenstein, but also the need to remake Doom 3 and its expansion and even Quake 4 ported to PS3 enhanced with the new engine so they can rake in the profits.

Well if this game runs at 60fps on the PS3 and looks identical to its PC counterpart then your shiny new 4850 should be able to handle 1920x1200 with 8xMSAA/16xAF without any trouble. I'd say thats reason to pick up the PC version ;)

Rawr :devilish:! Man, I am waiting to get my hands on new PC! You just pumped me up a notch !:D

Other than that I do hope JC realizes the need to not only have RAGE and Doom 4 and even Wolfenstein, but also the need to remake Doom 3 and its expansion and even Quake 4 ported to PS3 enhanced with the new engine so they can rake in the profits.

Why? I don't see the money in doing that.

Why? I don't see the money in doing that.

Because Quake 4 was limited to PC and a mediocre port on X360 and Doom 3 is limited to PC and land locked XBox 1 copies.

Even if its only for the single player mode and slight enhancements, additions to the story it should be done so that console crowd can appreciate the game instead of showing up and being forgotten.

A remake imho can do wonders for a franchise that has little presence in a console generation.

I just don't see the value in porting those anymore. Late ports don't tend to sell all that well. If it gets done, it won't be done by id they don't have the manpower to bother with crap like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back