Killzone 2 pre-release discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just hoping that at least one shooter this generation can show what benefits BluRay can bring - I think Uncharted has shown this also, but I'm thinking it will probably take a more traditional FPS shooter for certain people to be convinced (if they ever will be). ;)

Yay! We are have having PS Experience event happening in our city and I finally got my hands on the Killzone 2 demo :p ! Man, this shooter kicks every other shooter out of the water (for me,it does )! Its like Guerilla X 10 !!! The texture work is amazing, somehow the wall and ground textures are very high res, I don't know how they did it(procedural? don't look like) but
they did it :) ! The graphics make Gears look like a paper boat in front a Warship ;) ! Well, they are much better, the demo is all open areas as well as confined alleys, the feeling of being there is great ! The animations of Helghast getting pelted with bullets is really well done ! The animations of Garca (the other guy with you) feel very fluid and smooth.

What knocks the socks out of every other game at expo is the feel of the guns. I had a prefabricated conclusion in my mind about the guns when I started to play Killzone2, but it was shattered immediately when I fired my sweet gun. Every bullet sound is hard hitting sharp "Tat-Tat-Tat", feels very solid and real(ish) ! The real fun came about when I got my hands on the turret ! The gun feels so powerful, and the blood flew with every Helghast get mowed down with that very powerful bullet shower:D !

The game felt great Great ! Feels very hectic , the Helghast seem smart and evil and never did I find any Helghast staring at a wall or something. They were always changing positions depending on my bullets and grenades. It never felt stupid (Crysis also feels like that in a way, but not the same)! The only thing that did not fit into the overall spectacular Demo was the grain filter on top of the superb graphics and the lens flare that you see when u look at a bright source of light. It feels as if my glasses are dirty :p !

I can't get over how good the guns felt ! It took the demo to the above-everything-else level ! They nailed the guns !

PS: i could't find the "take cover" button in any of the control schemes :( ! I was crouching in front of cover objects but couldn't latch on to aNY COVER.....sTRANGE!

Yay! We are have having PS Experience event happening in our city and I finally got my hands on the Killzone 2 demo :p ! Man, this shooter kicks every other shooter out of the water (for me,it does )! Its like Guerilla X 10 !!! The texture work is amazing, somehow the wall and ground textures are very high res, I don't know how they did it(procedural? don't look like) but
they did it :) ! The graphics make Gears look like a paper boat in front a Warship ;) ! Well, they are much better, the demo is all open areas as well as confined alleys, the feeling of being there is great ! The animations of Helghast getting pelted with bullets is really well done ! The animations of Garca (the other guy with you) feel very fluid and smooth.

What knocks the socks out of every other game at expo is the feel of the guns. I had a prefabricated conclusion in my mind about the guns when I started to play Killzone2, but it was shattered immediately when I fired my sweet gun. Every bullet sound is hard hitting sharp "Tat-Tat-Tat", feels very solid and real(ish) ! The real fun came about when I got my hands on the turret ! The gun feels so powerful, and the blood flew with every Helghast get mowed down with that very powerful bullet shower:D !

The game felt great Great ! Feels very hectic , the Helghast seem smart and evil and never did I find any Helghast staring at a wall or something. They were always changing positions depending on my bullets and grenades. It never felt stupid (Crysis also feels like that in a way, but not the same)! The only thing that did not fit into the overall spectacular Demo was the grain filter on top of the superb graphics and the lens flare that you see when u look at a bright source of light. It feels as if my glasses are dirty :p !

I can't get over how good the guns felt ! It took the demo to the above-everything-else level ! They nailed the guns !

PS: i could't find the "take cover" button in any of the control schemes :( ! I was crouching in front of cover objects but couldn't latch on to aNY COVER.....sTRANGE!

awsome sauce! though i still need to try it out myself to really feel the impact. have you tried the rocket launcher btw? tell me they have the smoke trail from that demo code.

awsome sauce! though i still need to try it out myself to really feel the impact. have you tried the rocket launcher btw? tell me they have the smoke trail from that demo code.

It did have a smoke trail, but I guess it doesn't last that long !What was also fun was when I shot a lot of rockets from my tank on the Helghan tank, it created a lot of black smoke which is thick and can't see through at all ! that looked really ccol ;) !

It did have a smoke trail, but I guess it doesn't last that long !What was also fun was when I shot a lot of rockets from my tank on the Helghan tank, it created a lot of black smoke which is thick and can't see through at all ! that looked really ccol ;) !

cool, but it's strange since the MP has pretty thick and long lasting RPG smoketrails but why not in SP? hope they'll do somefin about it in next 2 months.

Saw this thread linked on a KZ.com thread and was rather shocked to remember I had an account here. Took me ages to remember what my username was, my usual choice must've been taken when I registered.

Anyway I'm in the beta and wanted to comment on the textures shown here. I think having been taken off screen they rather flatter the game. The textures are very good (definitely the best MP textures out of games I've personally played on PS3/360), but they're not perfect, there is some inconsistencies and lack of detail and for instance standing still and looking at the ground textures you can see the cheap method they've used to create the illusion of liquid mud.
Of course the game is designed to be taken in whilst moving and to provide an immersive experience, and the textures, blur and lighting are suitably impressive to accomplish this above and beyond other games.

Irregardless of the graphics though, the gameplay is refreshing. I think alot of people just don't realise how truly unique a game KZ2 is. Its easy to think off it as just another shooter, only prettier. I thought the same before I'd played it. I was wrong.
The multiplayer shows off tremendous amounts of new ideas and gameplay concepts, and it might just be the most complex shooter of this generation. Theres alot to digest here.

I only hope the single-player innovates similarly (ideally I hope the cover system is fun and theres a brutal AI mode available to really make you exploit it, thats my idea of infinite replayability anyway).

That was strange. The grenade was several meters to the right yet the hidden part (from explosion) of the pillar got 2 parts broken. I thought there would be more pieces than that very small amount breaking and it seems to take a perfomance hit when hitting the breaking sections. :???:

Both pillars right beside the explosion were damaged.

Looks pretty good though. I love the bullet damages too.

Saw this thread linked on a KZ.com thread and was rather shocked to remember I had an account here. Took me ages to remember what my username was, my usual choice must've been taken when I registered.

Anyway I'm in the beta and wanted to comment on the textures shown here. I think having been taken off screen they rather flatter the game. The textures are very good (definitely the best MP textures out of games I've personally played on PS3/360), but they're not perfect, there is some inconsistencies and lack of detail and for instance standing still and looking at the ground textures you can see the cheap method they've used to create the illusion of liquid mud.
Of course the game is designed to be taken in whilst moving and to provide an immersive experience, and the textures, blur and lighting are suitably impressive to accomplish this above and beyond other games.

Irregardless of the graphics though, the gameplay is refreshing. I think alot of people just don't realise how truly unique a game KZ2 is. Its easy to think off it as just another shooter, only prettier. I thought the same before I'd played it. I was wrong.
The multiplayer shows off tremendous amounts of new ideas and gameplay concepts, and it might just be the most complex shooter of this generation. Theres alot to digest here.

I only hope the single-player innovates similarly (ideally I hope the cover system is fun and theres a brutal AI mode available to really make you exploit it, thats my idea of infinite replayability anyway).

Thanks for posting. This is what I want to know and hear.

That was strange. The grenade was several meters to the right yet the hidden part (from explosion) of the pillar got 2 parts broken. I thought there would be more pieces than that very small amount breaking and it seems to take a perfomance hit when hitting the breaking sections. :???:

Twas odd. But that whole pillar can be shot bit by bit, removing the cover - works better in SP as you'll be stuck to the cover. And there is no performance hit.

But I just can't get into the MP - I'm crap :/ And I was pretty good at the SP...I don't know what the difference is. I kind of wish Zoom was on L1 like COD4 and R2.

Hehe, yup, i dunno if i would call it deformation "physics", as no physics would make that happen.

What are these new ideas and concepts that makes this so "complex"?

The destructibility video just reminded me of something. Deepbrown, have you tried shooting at the lights ? I know there are gameplay reasons why they may not allow you to do so. How do they handle this tricky business ?

Also, do you sustain damage if those set pieces fall on you ?

Oh Killzone, you amuse me so. :smile:

snapshot20081110204109xl9.jpg

The explosion seem good to me. Maybe there could have been more pieces of the column/pillar hit by fast moving debris. It seems like material has to have a certain size and/or velocity in order to break pieces of the pillar and only the debris that damaged the pillar were big (and fast) enough to do so.

That's my theory, anyway. And, I didn't see any performance drop when breaking things.

What are these new ideas and concepts that makes this so "complex"?
Its really two things:
1) The class system.
2) The progressive battles.

The class system is not that uncommon in shooters. But KZ2 has a greater depth in abilities than others with its major/minor skill system and sheer range of abilities. The game progressed from a standard shooter to something different within a few days of the beta as people unlocked classes. I've seen some highly polished teamwork already, and bear in mind there is no real clan presence yet. I think its a case that always, the more options players have, the more dynamic, complex and interesting the game is. I don't want to break NDA (too much), but its more involving than other shooters in this way, IMO.

Progressive battles is just a really need neat concept that I think may become a standard FPS feature. Going from one-gameplay mode to the next with no interruption to the flow of the game is just fun, also again it adds to the complexity though.

Theres also a lesser 3) Momentum. In the game momentum plays a big role in your progress. As you can see in the leaked videos, theres no running-and-gunning period meaning you have to plan your progress, grenade throws pull-back realistically at the last second, burst-fire is more realistic in terms of spread, sniping takes a lot more skill in this game. These were all negatives when I first started playing coming off so much CoD4 and H3 (and the R2 beta). Much like the immersive visuals though, once I got used to it the contrasts just make those games feel more gamey, in a bad way. They've gone for a realistic look and feel and pulled it off without making it suck. I don't think many FPS can claim that.

The explosion seem good to me. Maybe there could have been more pieces of the column/pillar hit by fast moving debris. It seems like material has to have a certain size and/or velocity in order to break pieces of the pillar and only the debris that damaged the pillar were big (and fast) enough to do so.

Uh... How did it seem good to you?

He threw a grenade infront of the pillar, and 2 "pieces" of debris fell off the pillar, problem being that the pieces where on the other side of the pillar (left front) while the grenade was thrown to the right front.

The side closest to the pillar should have had destruction aswell, in fact, it should have had more destruction than the side where the debris fell off!

It doesn't make any sense at all.

The explosion looked a bit odd to me at first glance, but I put it down to the force of the explosion just happening to loosen those two blocks enough that they fell off.

It certainly isn't scripted so it must have fallen straight out of the physics, probably due to the blocks being attached quite loosely to the pillar, and the angle at which the force of the explosion acted upon them. Maybe it needs a bit of tweaking to act in a more "expected" manner.

Would the force of the explosion cause the blocks to fall off, or would it be pieces of shrapnel? Because in the latter case, you just don't know. A small explosion 3 meters behind me shot some hot rocks into my hand and gave me some nasty burns (I jumped down a piece of concrete with my hands in the air just then), while a little girl sitting right next (like 40cm!) to the explosion wasn't hurt at all (phew!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back