Killzone 2 pre-release discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does have an awesome light model, whether you think that high contrast makes it look better or not.

Have you watched the 2008 E3 trailer? The lighting is horrible compared to what they showed in 2007 let alone the CG trailer. Something doesn't seem right at all.

Have you watched the 2008 E3 trailer? The lighting is horrible compared to what they showed in 2007 let alone the CG trailer. Something doesn't seem right at all.

Yes. It's the Multiplayer. But from watching more multiplayer footage the lighting is still great, especially close up. Some of the wide views of the MP maps have a flatter look.

The gameplay video shown is the SP and the lighting is incredible to the end...especially shooting the open building when it collapses.

Amazing what a little motion blur can do to people's perspectives : /. It looks great, sure, but that kind of hyperbole hurts more than it helps.

Aye, just blur all the surroundings except focus object and it all ends in drooling (never undestood that). When playing it wont be like that, sure motionblur will make camera movments cool or objects moving fast lock slick. But heck I could make Crysis low look really great having DoF/motionblur bluriness cover the scene even though it looks like crap otherwise (just an extreme example).

Aye, just blur all the surroundings except focus object and it all ends in drooling (never undestood that). When playing it wont be like that, sure motionblur will make camera movments cool or objects moving fast lock slick. But heck I could make Crysis low look really great having DoF/motionblur bluriness cover the scene even though it looks like crap otherwise (just an extreme example).

The motion blur ads to it certainly....it makes it more filmic. But saying that's why we think it looks good is quite frankly BS.

Ambient lighting? Its not bad, but not amazing either. Though the muzzle flash lighting and indoor lighting seems really good. Has this strong intesive lighting like the COD4 ship assault level (you know when walking inside the ship corridors with this bluish/white light).

I don't understand why some people have to resort to selective crappy screengrab comparisons to rationlize their point.

Watch the CG trailer is all I will say.

A mess, I've seen the low-res and high-res E3 '05 video and wow they look far better. Dont think youtube'ish video screen captures are good first of all. And then offscreen videos/phots almost always gives the illusion of far better lighting... yes it goes for PC to (offscreen photos that is!).

Last edited by a moderator:
This game shows wierd. I've been watching the gameplay videos and it looks great , but then i look at the offical e3 trailer on gametrailers.com and wow does it look like a dog. I guess they just cut a crappy trailer or something

It's the MP. Sheesh. And it looks amazing for MP. The MP for COD4 looks shite compared to the SP campaign, but KZ2's multiplayer actually looks extremely good.

The motion blur ads to it certainly....it makes it more filmic. But saying that's why we think it looks good is quite frankly BS.

Oh no I dont say it is the whole reson why it looks good. But I say it does make a scene look way more uniform and realistic than what is. It makes it hard to single out details that breaks the illusion.

Oh no I dont say it is the whole reson why it looks good. But I say it does make a scene look way more uniform and realistic than what is. It makes it hard to single out details that breaks the illusion.

That's a good thing right? Everything should be appear to be consistent in the scene at all times. This comes down to artwork as much as much as anything else though.

And why exactly won't motion blur be in the game?

And why exactly won't motion blur be in the game?

Who said it wont be ingame? I am talking about how a screenshot with everything blurred out except object in focus looks way more uniform and realistic than the same screenshot without bluriness (from wahtever effect). Since it hides jaggies, contrast between object, smoothes out color difference, etc etc things that break the illusion of realism. :smile:

That's a good thing right? Everything should be appear to be consistent in the scene at all times. This comes down to artwork as much as much as anything else though.

The thing is you dont have bluriness from motionblur or DoF blurring the scene all the time right? Nobody likes that but it is great for objects in motion or hefty camera movements. And then what I said above.

The thing is you dont have bluriness from motionblur or DoF blurring the scene all the time right? Nobody likes that but it is great for objects in motion or hefty camera movements. And then what I said above.

You're right...motion blur is for objects in motion.

Saying motion blur is all you need to make something look good or impress is something that not many on this forum is going to agree with you on.

I'll certainly not agree with you that everything would look like crap in KZ2 WITHOUT motion blur as that is the implication with your words above.

That sentiment is a little hard to understand where you're coming from. Sorry.

Who said it wont be ingame? I am talking about how a screenshot with everything blurred out except object in focus looks way more uniform and realistic than the same screenshot without bluriness (from wahtever effect). Since it hides jaggies, contrast between object, smoothes out color difference, etc etc things that break the illusion of realism. :smile:

Well...then this is all good then :) I like motion blur when used right and I think it adds to the visuals. As does the lighting, particle effects, textures, etc etc. Love the AI in the SP.

PS. in the MP video, the aircraft is AI (like the helicopters in COD4), you don't fly it. But its AI looks very impressive. It dodges rockets :)

Talking about this one:

29nbcrt.jpg

Really great looking aircraft and scene. Some people complain about colors but it really fits this art style. Reminds me much of Japanese manga movies with fantastic art style and design. :smile:

Ok I just downloaded a video of the single player game and my god it's pretty bad@ss:oops:, looks waaay better than that crappy multiplayer video. At this point I don't care if it matches the CG trailer or not, it's close enough for me. I think I'm gonna buy a PS3 just for this game! Here is the video I downloaded.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6850_en.html

ps the attention to detail is phenomenal, I especially like the animation of the main player's movements and weapons. The revolver is frikken cool even down to the metallic sound of the hammer! I think I've watched the same video like 10 times already..lol.

it's hard to believe the MP is looking this good, but is it just me or have they removed the number of dynamic lights comparing to the e3 07 demo? also the self-shadow is kinda missing in the latest footage. but the whole game is looking jaw dropping nontheless, i just wish they can rei-mplement the missing features in the final game though.
ok, re-watched the 8min jeuxvid i think the self-shadowing is still there judging from a small section though i wish there'll be more footages to show them better just to satisfy my curiousity.

I haven't watched jeusx video yet (downloading now), but gamersyde video does not reveal ambient lighting problem.

It's mostly sunny with "static" shadows, looks excellent, no objection.
The Helghast downstairs don't look flat because parts of their armor/uniform are shiny and phong/specular/diffuse (whatever) shaded.
Motion blur/ghosting makes it really difficult for me to complain about fabric faking textures of ISA soldiers under shadow also :).

I did however noticed that grenade explosions (even when out of view), cast light unlike some of the scripted explosions we have seen earlier.

In motion, it is indeed possibly best looking shooter I have ever seen on any playform (even better than that PC game, since that is not necessarily a technical comparison), but I do hope and expect they will have a better solution for ambient lighting problem.

On an unrelated note, surely people will complain about the AI and they can kiss my back. ;)
I loved how Helghast soldiers tried to melee ISA guys and one even got a melee duel with one of your buddies, lost, of course.

On another unrelated note, if Hakha doesn't show up in this game I'm gonna be really pissed.

My favorite bit is when an ISA elbows a helghast and the helghast screams and puts his hands to his face! So great. :) Or when you come out with a rocket launcher and the Helghast sees it and runs away, cowering towards cover :LOL:

This: http://i33.tinypic.com/nci8tx.gif

And notice the helghast kicking the dead bodies foot as he gets elbowed in the face :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back