Killzone 2 pre-release discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say KZ2 stays true to its original vision. It's far far from being a casualty. Everything shown has been consistent and intact, visionwise.

I would say KZ2 stays true to its original vision. It's far far from being a casualty. Everything shown has been consistent and intact, visionwise.

Visionwise sure, it's KZ. :???:

On a purely technical level it falls way short from the CGI. The particle effects are downgraded, the number of detail onscreen players are downgraded, the environmental complexity is downgraded, the lighting is downgraded, ground textures downgraded.

But still a good approximation of the CG footage. It comes close enough not to be injured by a casual comparison.

As far as making other games seem last-gen, I disagree. Mirror's Edge, Rage, and Gears 2 hold their own against this.
EDIT: How could I forget Beyond Good and Evil 2?

Visionwise sure, it's KZ. :???:

On a purely technical level it falls way short from the CGI. The particle effects are downgraded, the number of detail onscreen players are downgraded, the environmental complexity is downgraded, the lighting is downgraded, ground textures downgraded.

Sure but it's playable now. That's what count. Even if unreachable, the trailer serves as a vision for the team. The end result is: I have not seen a console game that is so striking and breathtaking yet. Whichever way you put it, visually it is a winner.

I did, but it's less exciting now compared to the new trailers. The latest ones include the flying bot that was in the original trailer but missing in subsequent renders. The collapsing building is a nice touch, not found even in the original trailer.

:LOL: I came over to post the same fabulous video. betan, does your ambient lighting comment still stand ? (I don't know)

Here's the full 8 minute version if you can't have enough:
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video/killzone-2.html#view:249648

I haven't watched jeusx video yet (downloading now), but gamersyde video does not reveal ambient lighting problem.

It's mostly sunny with "static" shadows, looks excellent, no objection.
The Helghast downstairs don't look flat because parts of their armor/uniform are shiny and phong/specular/diffuse (whatever) shaded.
Motion blur/ghosting makes it really difficult for me to complain about fabric faking textures of ISA soldiers under shadow also :).

I did however noticed that grenade explosions (even when out of view), cast light unlike some of the scripted explosions we have seen earlier.

In motion, it is indeed possibly best looking shooter I have ever seen on any playform (even better than that PC game, since that is not necessarily a technical comparison), but I do hope and expect they will have a better solution for ambient lighting problem.

On an unrelated note, surely people will complain about the AI and they can kiss my back. ;)
I loved how Helghast soldiers tried to melee ISA guys and one even got a melee duel with one of your buddies, lost, of course.

On another unrelated note, if Hakha doesn't show up in this game I'm gonna be really pissed.

I don't understand why some people have to resort to selective crappy screengrab comparisons to rationlize their point.

Watch the CG trailer is all I will say.

I was the one that actually asked you to watch the 2005 trailer, again. I watched it, again, about 5 hrs ago. You?

Since you claim the screengrab comparisons are crappy, could you do some and present them here? ;)

I was the one that actually asked you to watch the 2005 trailer, again. I watched it, again, about 5 hrs ago. You?

Since you claim the screengrab comparisons are crappy, could you do some and present them here? ;)

I don't have a high resolution direct feed of the CGI trailer but even watching a low resolution video of the CGI, it looks way better than the new high resolution direct feed 2008 E3 trailer.

He said ALMOST a generation ahead. I would say Killzone 2 is .5 generation ahead of the game. The funny thing is that developers migh even find even more efficient ways of using the SPUs. In 4 years, they might would be able to create a Killzone 2 using 30%+ less resources. We might be in for quite a good leap in graphics and gameplay over current generation games with the PS3.
Amazing what a little motion blur can do to people's perspectives : /. It looks great, sure, but that kind of hyperbole hurts more than it helps.

But still a good approximation of the CG footage. It comes close enough not to be injured by a casual comparison.

As far as making other games seem last-gen, I disagree. Mirror's Edge, Rage, and Gears 2 hold their own against this.
EDIT: How could I forget Beyond Good and Evil 2?
Don't forget Resident Evil 5.

Oh, and yes, that photo-comparison is terrible.

I don't have a high resolution direct feed of the CGI trailer but even watching a low resolution video of the CGI, it looks way better than the new high resolution direct feed 2008 E3 trailer.

Take your time and find what you need. I'm in no rush. I just don't understand how people can say anything and not have to back it up just because it's negative. :???:

Can anyone provide other comparison shots? Bueller?

Amazing what a little motion blur can do to people's perspectives : /. It looks great, sure, but that kind of hyperbole hurts more than it helps.

Don't forget Resident Evil 5.

Oh, and yes, that photo-comparison is terrible.

A little of motion blur ?

tell me a game that cast shadows from projectiles and then let´s go on talking.

If this game looked like the KZ CGI they showed a few years ago then he would be correct, unfortunately the game looks nothing like the CGI trailer. KZ2 looks to be a casualty from its own hype.

That is called "turning up the contrast" on your tv to create fake bloom to make it seem like the game has an awesome lighting model.

It does have an awesome light model, whether you think that high contrast makes it look better or not.

tell me a game that cast shadows from projectiles and then let´s go on talking.

In Halo 3 multiplayer I have saved films that show incredible lighting/shadows etc from a rocket that in full speed when fired you can barely even see it moves so fast. Yet when I replay it in slow mo, the detail and lighting is astounding.

KZ2 looks really good.

Are you honestly surprised that the PS3 can't recreate CGI which probably took minutes to render each frame - at 30fps...?!

The fact that people are arguing about comparison shots shows that they must have gotten pretty much as close to it as realtime could probably get (with a game strapped on the back, remember), for which they should be applauded.

This game shows wierd. I've been watching the gameplay videos and it looks great , but then i look at the offical e3 trailer on gametrailers.com and wow does it look like a dog. I guess they just cut a crappy trailer or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back