Killzone 2 pre-release discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As great as the game looks (especially more so for MP), they need to solve the ambient lighting problem. Without a strong light source everything looks flat (as expected).
And hopefully add some light casting to explosions also, lens flare is not enough.

I agree, in their quest to add many small lights to little things, they ignored the global lighting model which looks sterile, flat and dry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shame the best looking ones has DoF/motionblur over almost everything. Great artowork style, has this interesting and nice manga/"cartoonish" art look. The effects also do look nice in those scenes of respectable size. But the flares, dunno dont it disturb you like a mosquito infront of your eyes? ;)

This one stands out like a sore thumb, older build?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/KZ2 Multiplayer/4.jpg

The MP classes seem very interesting:

Tactician:
Primary badge ability - Throws a coloured smoke grenade, which serves as a spawn point
Secondary badge ability - Requests air support from a sentry bot which targets the enemy

Saboteur:
Primary badge ability - Assumes the disguise of a randomly selected enemy player
Secondary badge ability - Throws a sticky, proximity-activated C-4 charge

Guys this MP video at gamespot is crazy ! I mean there's gameplay of each class shown there and its superb!

http://www.gamespot.com/video/928377/6194262/videoplayerpop?rgroup=e32008_videos

Also, he says we can mix n match any two classes and make our own class !CooOOooL!

The basically sprinkle some TF2 and some Battlefied together but it looks great. It all comes down to balance though. That make or breaks all class mp games.

In Resistance, the Chimera and Human are inbalanced intrinsically. In general, Chimeras are stronger but in some maps, Human can old their own. Since we alternate between the races, the outcome kinda balances out after one complete round.

I also think that developers should throw in a third element between the opposing players... like how MGO introduces Snake + Mk II into the game. In this case, I am thinking about the weather system.

The basically sprinkle some TF2 and some Battlefied together but it looks great. It all comes down to balance though. That make or breaks all class mp games.

Getting players to do what they're supposed to do is also important to keep the right balance. Both TF2 and Battlefield have failed in that respect. This needs some great community support and big rewards for teamplay.

Why do all the characters look like midgets? I remember COD being like that. They all have those short legs.
You really made me laugh with this one! :LOL:

I haven't notice it and I haven't played CoD4 (still no next gen for me... )

Could be due to quiet long coat and military clothes (lot of stuff attached to the bell etc. torso may looks longer?)?

EDIT
I haven't seen this video:
http://gamersyde.com/stream_7971_en.html

This game looks FABULOUS!!!!! FABULOUS!!!!!

It's sad that the game will miss this holiday, I don't manage to get caught in Resistance look at all.

Did I say it looks FABULOUS? :LOL:
IT's way ahead of everything I watched so far, great, great, great!!

You really made me laugh with this one! :LOL:

I haven't notice it and I haven't played CoD4 (still no next gen for me... )

I meant the first one. I used to play multiplayer alot and it irked me. I never understood why everyone was short :LOL:

callofduty_050803_004_640w.jpg

Some of the screens posted in the NeoGAF thread on this game are very impressive, so much so that I would say its shames every game shown so far. Outside of this, the Gears 2 stage demo, and the Id Tech 5 demo I was not that impressed visually with any of the games coming out from Microsoft and Sony. How is it that Killzone 2 looks so good that it almost looks a generation ahead of any other game? Compared to the Resistance 2 demo, which is another prominent first party Sony title featured in their press-conference Killzone 2 looks way (way way way) better. Up until I had seen this, I thought that Gears 2 was the most impressive looking game, but I would have to say that even Gears 2 cannot top the amazing visuals in this game. Anyway, this is just an amazing achievement, and is really the only game that seems to be delivering on the promises of next-gen graphics.

Some of the screens posted in the NeoGAF thread on this game are very impressive, so much so that I would say its shames every game shown so far. Outside of this, the Gears 2 stage demo, and the Id Tech 5 demo I was not that impressed visually with any of the games coming out from Microsoft and Sony. How is it that Killzone 2 looks so good that it almost looks a generation ahead of any other game? Compared to the Resistance 2 demo, which is another prominent first party Sony title featured in their press-conference Killzone 2 looks way (way way way) better. Up until I had seen this, I thought that Gears 2 was the most impressive looking game, but I would have to say that even Gears 2 cannot top the amazing visuals in this game. Anyway, this is just an amazing achievement, and is really the only game that seems to be delivering on the promises of next-gen graphics.
Lets not get carried away. It looks great, but a generation ahead of any other game? Come on...

All done using up to 4.5 SPUs, according to the GG. The future looks bright for the Cell/RSX combo.

Lets not get carried away. It looks great, but a generation ahead of any other game? Come on...
He said ALMOST a generation ahead. I would say Killzone 2 is .5 generation ahead of the game. The funny thing is that developers migh even find even more efficient ways of using the SPUs. In 4 years, they might would be able to create a Killzone 2 using 30%+ less resources. We might be in for quite a good leap in graphics and gameplay over current generation games with the PS3.

If this game looked like the KZ CGI they showed a few years ago then he would be correct, unfortunately the game looks nothing like the CGI trailer. KZ2 looks to be a casualty from its own hype.

:LOL: I came over to post the same fabulous video. betan, does your ambient lighting comment still stand ? (I don't know)

Here's the full 8 minute version if you can't have enough:
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video/killzone-2.html#view:249648

That is called "turning up the contrast" on your tv to create fake bloom to make it seem like the game has an awesome lighting model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back