The First Halo 3 Single Player Screens + Video! Rules=#369

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also on the "feel" of the weapons. Another criticism I agree with is that the guns feel weightless, like popguns.

I dont want to bring Gears up, but again Gears just feels so rock solid in those area. Everything has weight and feels solid.

Now, I dont WANT Halo to be Gears. Not every game can be Gears. But it's clear Gears just changed so much. Killzone 2 to me is really a Gears clone.

I dont remember "they killed an elite". The others fall into the two or threes phrases I admitted.

And I know they spoke english..just I dunno..not so blatantly and frequently and loudly.

Combine that with the Elite's not speaking (coherent)english in part 1, it gave much more of a feel of fighting truly alien beings. In 3, your enemies are throwing constant english at you.

This seems like such a stupid thing, I dunno, it's just a feel thing, I'm not good at expressing myself.

I think it's also an attitude..they used to be so whimsical, and now they're just mean little bastards.

For example, I have a hard time explaining why Halo 2 campaign was so inferior to 1..it just was.

I haven't played it yet and I've been trying to avoid to much exposure to color my opinion of the game, but I think I understand where you're coming from on this front, though it was a bit odd to see the grunts be the most "intelligent" being able to pick up the foreign language and all.

That "character" aspect was great as those little freaks would hop/wobble around yelling stuff etc. Then the bigger/badder guys would yell and holler and charge you as they ran out of ammo ... and laugh as they knocked you out ... then onto the nonspeaking, gurgling, oddball, freakish, flood.

The character was awesome in h1. h2 was lacking big time (never finsished it .. it was lacking that bad).

I hope to see good battles in h3 but I'm sad to "hear" that h3 is lacking in this regard.

Can't wait to pickup my copy tonight after work.

Also on the "feel" of the weapons. Another criticism I agree with is that the guns feel weightless, like popguns.

I dont want to bring Gears up, but again Gears just feels so rock solid in those area. Everything has weight and feels solid.
Agreed. Cliffy B talked about that quite a bit, they really wanted to get the "feel" right - that everything had weight to it, the way your characters slam against a wall, etc.

Like you, I want Halo to be Halo, not GoW. I just expected the feel of the game to evolve a little bit more - so far it's Halo2 all the way in terms of combat. And if we're on earth, why the heck is the gravity like it was on Halo? I haven't seen any physics so far which compare to HL2 at this point.

Another minor gripe: Without any motion blur when turning, and being in first person with the aiming reticule attached directly to your viewpoint (unlike say, Lost Planet), 30fps _really_ stands out to me, which I can't say for GoW or Bioshock (thanks to its option to turn off vsync).

Those are the games I spend 95% of my time on with the 360, so going from those to Halo3...let's just say Halo3's graphical drawbacks to tend to stand out a bit more.

Again though, largely nitpicking here. I'm compelled to continue the story, which is more than I can say for most FPS's.

Forza 2 uses bilinear. When u go off the road you are treated to some highly obvious mip map borders. I was shocked by that and even my tech-anti-saavy buddies were like "what's with those blurred steps?"

Makes me think Xenos has some filtering performance problems.

This game is damn intense. Playing on Heroic and I got to Tsavo Highway (maybe half way through it?) and I have a couple of cuss out and throwing controller sessions already. Some of those fights are just not fair!

I'll let the "experts" weigh in the graphics and so forth but the it's such an immersive exp, I have no idea what's going around me. If you have a good surround system, you're in for a treat!

I was in the line getting my copy at 12am :D

The good -

Its Halo
Framerate seems very solid
Control are very easy to pick up
The MP
Very few jaggies and seems to have a nice amount of filtering

The bad -

The graphics are hit and miss IMO, enemies are low poly and the human faces are horrid
I keep getting my ass handed to me on LIVE
No 7.1 surround sound, i know i know... but this game sounds sooooo good i would kill to hear the Halo musical score in ful 7.1
My ears are hurting, god-damn MK speakers, toooo loud but woooooooooooo

Does anyone know when we'll find out how the first day sales went? I'd be quite interested to hear if they managed to break the record like they hoped

I just picked up my special edition copy! Only 3 hours to leave work... The package and the booklet inside are very well done! My only problem is that the game disk had slipped from its position and has a few scratches here and there...
I hope that it's readable...

I just picked up my special edition copy! Only 3 hours to leave work... The package and the booklet inside are very well done! My only problem is that the game disk had slipped from its position and has a few scratches here and there...

That problem seems to be very common, I hear about it from everywhere... That sucks. I bought the normal version as it was 49€ instead of 79€ for the special edition. Halo 2 limited edition also had quality problems...

The game itself rocks! the graphics are generally good, but there are some average moments and no AA and AF seems to be lacking too. The core gameplay is very very good. I'm playing it on heroic, which offers plenty of challenge.

Please tell me that the you also hear that despite being scratched, the disks are also playable...:cry:

Well in most of the cases that I have heard, people haven't actually bought it, because they could hear that the disc is loose, and just bought the normal version instead, some have been able to change their faulty game to new. I have had some pretty scratched discs and run them with no problem on my X360 so I woulnd't worry too much, but of course it's possible that it won't work properly.

Please tell me that the you also hear that despite being scratched, the disks are also playable...:cry:
I'd like to tell you it's quite the opposite, that it's playable and so on but, from what I saw, I couldn't assure you that the game will be playable. :cry: As I haven't been able to test this further because I didnt have the console at hand, it could be playable. I'm not sure...

I picked up my copy (LE) in Gamestop this morning, for 75€. Both discs -Essentials and Game Disc- were seriously scratched on the bottom half so I had to polish the DVDs in a video club. I spent 4 extra euros in the game, sigh.

I'll be playing this game in a few hours. Xbox was my first console (I purchased the Xbox Crystal + Halo 2 pack, loved the game) so I'm VERY excited about Halo 3.

Cheers m8

Well in most of the cases that I have heard, people haven't actually bought it, because they could hear that the disc is loose, and just bought the normal version instead, some have been able to change their faulty game to new. I have had some pretty scratched discs and run them with no problem on my X360 so I woulnd't worry too much, but of course it's possible that it won't work properly.

The irony is that I heard something loose in the box, but didn't know what was actually in it... It never crossed my mind that it could actually be the game disk...
Oh, well... I guess I'll know in a few hours... Of course, there is always a chance that the game will start initially, and then crash half way through the SP...

I'd like to tell you it's quite the opposite, that it's playable and so on but, from what I saw, I couldn't assure you that the game will be playable. :cry: As I haven't been able to test this further because I didnt have the console at hand, it could be playable. I'm not sure...

I picked up my copy (LE) in Gamestop this morning, for 75€. Both discs -Essentials and Game Disc- were seriously scratched on the bottom half so I had to polish the DVDs in a video club. I spent 4 extra euros in the game, sigh.

I'll be playing this game in a few hours. Xbox was my first console (I purchased the Xbox Crystal + Halo 2 pack, loved the game) so I'm VERY excited about Halo 3.

Cheers m8

:cry:
I'm almost tempted to go and change the game before I even try it...
I really want to play this game today because I'll be very busy at work the next couple of days...

That is mostly what I read on the web..usually the discs are playable in any case apparantly.

If I was you after I got my fill for a few days I would still send it back to MS if the scratches are bad. Just would set my mind at ease.

More of my impressions of the game after two levels of SP campaign on heroic:

The game is no Gears. I feel like I'm kind of dutifully trudging through and not too much else.

I cant see myself replaying the campaign much, if at all, either. Whereas Gears, I have probably beaten 6 or 7 times. And even beat on insane. I likely wont bother with legendary on H3.

Also the games visuals seemingly have become less impressive again. When the game becomes more restricteed to indoor areas, it gets a lot less graphically impressive.

There's just a lot of weird, broke-ish gameplay too. The game feels much more stale and game-ish than Gears. The vaunted AI, is probably on par with Gears or less imo. Very rarely will the enemy force the issue on you. A couple times I noticed, that for example Brutes, in a section where you fight a dozen+, would almost exclusively approach from the right side of a certain obstacle. I noticed them veer to the right for no apparant reason virtually every time, almost like a AI glitch. Another time, I was trapped behind a large sort of train car. It was a pretty dicey situation where I was heavily outnumbered. Accustomed to Gears fantastic AI and also the reputation of Halo, I kept constantly checking behind me to see if any of these "smart" enemies would try to get behind me, instead of approaching the side I was facing every time. Didn't happen. The close quarters melee confrontation system also pales in comparison to Gears. The game simply feels dumber and less dynamic than Gears.

I seem to keep going back and forth on the game, for a while there I was really liking it again, now I've slipped back into a more negative opinion. So who knows, I will probably write my impression a few more times in this thread, and it might change again. Certain things I'm certain wont change, though.

But overall, the franchise has been supplanted in creativity and advancement by Gears, imo. Gears of War 2 will be a better game than H3, I feel pretty confident of that now. Halo 3 almost feels dated, there's no other way to put it. Dated often describes the graphics and animation as well (although sometimes, it can be a very pretty game).

The game also suffers from weapon overload. There are so many different weapons, most times I cant be arsed with them, and just stick with the marine weapons as much as ammo supply allows. I still haven't, for example, even used many of the new special equipment (the throw shields and that sort of thing). They're just not useful enough to bother with. Another example, many times detaching a turret and using it is simply more pain in the ass than it's worth. You're often better off just sticking with your standard weaponry.

Oh and the enemy chatter, is still rather cliched and stupid. Where again, it was one of the more awesome things about part 1, they have turned it into something pedestrian and almost obnoxious.

All that said, it's still solid fun.

Right now I'd be leaning towards scoring the game in the 7, probably 8 range...

Im thinking the game is rather overhyped, ok so im still on the 1st level but in this short time i think ive seen enough and played enough to come to this conclusion, certainly as far as the single player campaign goes. For a 2nd/3rd generation 360 title, graphically is pretty p!ss poor. Im not sure how Bungie can come out and say they are happy with the gfx!

Ive never been that big a fan of the Halo series so maybe im missing something? I look at the average score which is of course in the mid nineties, and just wonder has everyone else been caught up in the hype? or has a lot of backhanders been dished out?

For a 2nd/3rd generation 360 title, graphically is pretty p!ss poor.

Ive never been that big a fan of the Halo series...

That would be the problem.

Graphically, I was pleasantly surprised.
I was a bit underwhelmed by the screenshots and after hearing so many complain about the graphics, I wasn't expecting much. Granted I've only played the first level, but so far, it has some of the best textures seen this gen, great lighting, and nice shader work as well.

The movable plants are a very nice, Crysis inspired, touch. Also, the vegetation detail is very well done and comperable to the best (Crysis, Drake).

They've done a good job in bringing the HALO style, to next gen standards. If one never liked the Halo style to begin with, they probably won't like this much. There are other games out there which strive for more realism and that isn't what Bungie was going for. So if you're expecting it, you will be disappointed.

Cutscene graphics are superb, some of the best RT graphics I've seen.

Other than graphics, it does seem to walk a line a bit off off the cutting edge in presentation. By cutting edge I don't mean technologically, I mean "style edge". Little things which seem like they are glossed over instead of having a sharpness to them, like ammo pickups, weapon sfx, even the music at times. It seems to have a softness to it that would indicate they were trying for a pg13 rating (honestly I don't see why it would be rated M). But even thinking that, it still doesn't have that stylistic edge that other pg13 games have had.

Someone mentioned before about the 12 y/o voices on the aliens, that's false. What you were hearing was a female soldier in your squad. The alien voices have thankfully been retained. Their AI seems to be very well done again as well.

Overall at this point I would say 8.5/10.
This is mostly based on the campaign as I won't be doing much multiplayer. I would have liked to see a few things different as well and this is also hampering the score a bit for me. As a game on it's own, it is very well done and probably deserving of a higher score, but as a fan of the series and hoping for improvements/refinements that didn't happen, it get's dinged a bit, in my mind.

Couple of things...

First off, this game is FUN!

One of my buddies got the legendary, and its numbered 415410. Anyone over 500000 or is that the magic number?

I only played co-op. 4 player co-op and the game is pure brilliance. The action is well paced and the story feels epic in nature. I find myself enjoying the chatter despite what others have suggested. They seem to hate the Arbiter! ha.

Gravity hammer is fun.

It's Halo. If you enjoyed 1 or 2 or both, this is a no-brainer. If you have multiple friends looking to play, this is a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back