ARMA 3 officially announced

Dwarden

Newcomer
We're delighted to introduce Arma 3, the latest installment of the tactical military simulation game from independent developers Bohemia Interactive, creators of the award-winning mil-sim series Arma.

Prague, Czech Republic 19th May - Bohemia Interactive, the award-winning independent Czech development studio, is pleased to announce the development of Arma 3, the brand new installment in its series of critically acclaimed realistic military simulators. Combining over 10 years of experience, building upon the strength of its predecessors, and set in the most detailed environment of the series to date, Arma 3 offers gamers radical engine improvements and a unique sandbox-style military gameplay experience. The next chapter of this stunning military simulation game is scheduled for release exclusively for PC in Summer 2012.

Storyline

Survive, Adapt, Win
After years of intense warfare against Eastern armies, Europe has become the last stand for the battered NATO forces. On the verge of being driven into the sea, NATO command embarks upon a most desperate measure. In the hope of seizing what seems to be a well-guarded military secret, Operation Magnitude is launched. A small group of Special Forces and Researchers are sent to a Mediterranean island deep behind enemy lines. However, the mission is compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Cpt. Scott Miller washed ashore upon the hostile island. In his effort to carry out the mission, he will face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions...

• Survive in the rich & authentic environment
  • Adapt to the unsurpassed experience of modern ground combat
  • Win in the open-ended & story-driven campaign
Combining the strength of its predecessors with radical engine improvements, Arma 3 provides a unique experience of sandbox-oriented combat gameplay in the most detailed environment of the series.

Key features:

• Single-Player Campaign - evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.
  • Vehicles & Weapons - control multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships with the accurate simulation, shoot from anything from pistols to the sophisticated weapon platforms.
  • Customizable Soldier Load - choose your uniform, assemble your weapon kit, change your loadout, get encumbered.
  • Physical simulation & improved animations - take advantage of PhysX™ supporting the vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and the revamped animation system.
  • Rich & authentic environment - explore the unsurpassed modern ground combat experience set on the authentic Mediterranean island modeled from the real geographic data.
  • Multiplayer Gameplay - challenge both cooperative & competitive scenarios with full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.
  • Completely extensible & moddable - design & create countless customizable scenarios using the intuitive & easy-to-use mission editor.
Ingame Screenshots

Official Website: http://www.arma3.com/

Official announcement text here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=119196

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/home/news/projects/224-arma-3-uncovered

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/games/arma3

irc://irc.gamesurge.net/arma3
irc://irc.quakenet.org/arma3
irc://irc.eu.gamesurge.net/arma3

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to it! :p

Kudos to you guys! OFP blew my mind back in the day and the feeling of realism and immersion of ArmA II precludes me from calling it a game ;)

I don't care what anyone says about potential bugs and such... This is a release-day buy for me. Always loved OFP (the REAL OFP!) and ArmA. ArmA 2 has such a fantastic multiplayer experience, I can only imagine how awesome A3 is going to be by comparison.

The interaction physics model doesn't look like anything special or new. I would expect at least some material deformations/breakdowns on collision, not just totally rigid bouncing objects.

You know, I have to say, those videos were entirely underwhelming. Just looks like Arma1 / 2 with a new coat of paint...

The physics looks pretty unrealistic and basic, there's still a lot of little quirks to the animations and first person movement that I was hoping they would 'smooth up' and make a bit more realistic, and the camerawork (especially in third person vehicle mode) needs some tweaking. There is definitely some cool new stuff, notably in the improvement of urban combat with denser towns and more enterable buildings and some proper underwater action, but I'm not sure how much overall impact that sort of thing will have.

Hmm. Have to wait to see more, but it's actually just looking like more of the same. Not a bad thing really, but also not a good thing if they intend to charge full price for it.

if you read / listened the interview then you would know You are actually looking on the OA animations as the new animation subsystem wasn't part of E3 build ...

Physics was demonstration, not tweaked values ...

also You need realize the camera work is playing the game realtime (yes it wasn't pre*render or limited demo, it was realtime running game)

also the visual jump can be considere of same size as was1 OFP > ARMA or ARMA 1 to A2:OA

there are news and screenshots:

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/285-scanning-the-horizon-arma-3-in-2012

Arma3_screenshot_1202_10.jpg

Arma3_screenshot_1202_20.jpg

Arma3_screenshot_1202_18.jpg

Arma3_screenshot_1202_26.jpg

Lol this will be the first game that my computer doesn't meet the minimum specs for. Way past time to upgrade :oops:

http://www.bistudio.com/english/games/arma3

On the right.

System requirements
Operating system: Windows 7 / Vista
Processor: Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster
Memory: 2 GB
Video card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster
DVD: Dual Layer compatible
Hard disk: 15 GB free space
Other: DirectX® 10

My CPU is only a Core 2 Duo :cry:

Back