The First Halo 3 Single Player Screens + Video! Rules=#369

Status
Not open for further replies.
when you have a flagship title that is a must play experience for the majority of players (not all) and you have an online presence of gamers in that game for YEARS... you can sell more systems for years based on that guarantee of fun.

there will be this game, online, ultimately re-playable with tens of thousands upon tens of thousands of others until the end of this generation. Those new system owners will in turn buy other games.

It's brilliant.

He was talking specifically about this Forge feature. When I hear "disruptive" I think of something like the web, which can displace or has the potential to displace things like newspapers and other traditional media. Or how eBay is destroying the classified ads business.

I don't see how a map editor disrupts the gaming business per se. I mean if you have a perfect game, people would never buy sequels. Since sequels or franchises are a huge part of the business, that would be disruptive but in a negative sense.

Of course it was a no-brainer that MS would make Halo3. Will it be a huge system seller though? It may sell 10 million copies. And with the hype, it will surely draw in some users who've never played H1 or H2 or even owned an Xbox.

But how many of those new users will there be? How many will be PS2 owners who are locked in at least in this generation to the X360 instead of the PS3 or Wii? That is the $64 question.

Forge sounds more like a hardcore feature, which is what Halo3 and X360 are accused of -- that they appeal to hardcore gamers, not the casuals needed to expand the installed base. It's the XBLA games and games like the Pinata games, the JRPG and the Rare games which would presumably expand beyond the Xbox demographic.

Forge sounds more like a hardcore feature, which is what Halo3 and X360 are accused of -- that they appeal to hardcore gamers, not the casuals needed to expand the installed base. It's the XBLA games and games like the Pinata games, the JRPG and the Rare games which would presumably expand beyond the Xbox demographic.

Forge may be used by the hardcore to create new gameplay types but the casuals can join those designed games at will. they will also benefit from the online experience not getting dull as the options are plentiful for those that use the Forge editing features.

Perhaps.

I can see the Co-Op as a good way for casual gamers who generally don't play shooters or are new to Halo could have their hands held.

But I was watching this "pro" gamer playing H3 on Attack of th Show and he was casually killing people while talking to the hosts. Hard to imagine casuals not being discouraged if they faced something like that.

Maybe H3 becomes so popular online like WOW did, and gets people to continue subscribing or buying expansions and so on.

MS might have been able to get away with charging a monthly fee to play online. An additional fee that is, above and beyond XBL Gold, because the game is so popular.

Reason would be that if they get a significant number of SKUs above $60 sold (they have 2 SKUs which are priced higher), that means the support is so great that they could have tried this busines model, imposing an MMOPRPG business model over a console game.

But I was watching this "pro" gamer playing H3 on Attack of th Show and he was casually killing people while talking to the hosts. Hard to imagine casuals not being discouraged if they faced something like that.

Well, I believe they've implemented a beginners room, where anyone with a high rank can not play, that'd be the obvious place for casuals to play.

Also, in general Halo matches you up by trueskill rating, any 'pro' is going to get a very high ranking very soon. As a beginner at level 1 or 2, you'll mostly face off against other players at level 1 or 2.

At least that's how the beta was....

wow 111k now!
halo-6.jpg

Whoa..I think I can see ONE dot in India (Mumbai)....:devilish:

But I was watching this "pro" gamer playing H3 on Attack of th Show and he was casually killing people while talking to the hosts. Hard to imagine casuals not being discouraged if they faced something like that.....

I agree with you that Co-op is a BIG draw for casuals...

Scobby is right... Trueskill groups like player-skills with like player-skills.... it's one of the main reasons why Halo works so well in MP.

I agree with you that Co-op is a BIG draw for casuals...

Scobby is right... Trueskill groups like player-skills with like player-skills.... it's one of the main reasons why Halo works so well in MP.

I wasn't going to get this just yet, as I am still playing through 2 games, but I broke down.

One buddy called this morning saying he picked up his copy, another shortly thereafter and then the final one.

I went down on my lunch break to pick it up from Best Buy, and got the regular edition. Although they did have 5 Legendary editions still? I wonder how many of these are sold total?

So with that said, 4 player co-op is what its all about for me with this game. I'm a general Halo fan, and this 4 player is what helped push me over the edge.

I think the console devs are reaching for ways to get the mod-ability of PC games into their games. Look at Oblivion. It has just an unbelievable modding community. Hell, the game's barely worth playing without mods, IMO. Lots of PC games get a ton of new depth, enhancements, etc by freelance mod teams.

So, even if they can only put out a gimped map editor, it's way better than nothing. Something to extend the replayability and variety of gameplay of the game. It will make the game last longer because there will always be fresh content. It will undoubtedly sell more copies of the game than if it were to just stagnate like other console titles.

And yeah, I too don't really see what is appealing about the whiny english voices of the enemies. The crystal clear english of Halo 2 was very disappointing and really pulled me out of the experience. I'm probably going to just skip this game after having heard more about the copycat SP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't going to get this just yet, as I am still playing through 2 games, but I broke down.

One buddy called this morning saying he picked up his copy, another shortly thereafter and then the final one.

I went down on my lunch break to pick it up from Best Buy, and got the regular edition. Although they did have 5 Legendary editions still? I wonder how many of these are sold total?

So with that said, 4 player co-op is what its all about for me with this game. I'm a general Halo fan, and this 4 player is what helped push me over the edge.

yep picking it up today and I already have a 4 player co-op scheduled for today at 4pm for 3 hours :cool:

1,5h until I get my copy at a midnight sale. I went ahead and upgraded my launch day Premium to a Elite unit today, basically I'm all set!

I have a college exam on thursday... LOL!

So I went to the Miami launch event. Got there around 9:30 PM and there was a BIG line. Stood in line for a bit, got a raffle ticket for some door prize. So at 10 PM they draw a number, and SOB its mine!

So I get to go inside (take the wife and jr with me as I figured leaving them out side in the hot muggy crowd was probably not the best idea), get pictures taken, then they hand me over a xbox360 elite and a copy of Gears of War. Not only that but we were allowed to stay inside (in the AC) and talk with some folks from Bungie, Microsoft, got some Miami Dolphins players autographs. And finally we were placed at the head of the line and were one of the first to buy Halo3 :) So in all a good time. Not sure what I am going to do with 2 xbox360s. Since Jr is starting to play more and more we will probably use them both for co-op and other type games.

Sad to say did not play it yet. We got back after 1 AM and had to be to work by 7 AM the today. Hopefully in a bit when I am done with work!

BTW there are some pics/youtube video if you care to see...

So I went to the Miami launch event. Got there around 9:30 PM and there was a BIG line. Stood in line for a bit, got a raffle ticket for some door prize. So at 10 PM they draw a number, and SOB its mine!

So I get to go inside (take the wife and jr with me as I figured leaving them out side in the hot muggy crowd was probably not the best idea), get pictures taken, then they hand me over a xbox360 elite and a copy of Gears of War. Not only that but we were allowed to stay inside (in the AC) and talk with some folks from Bungie, Microsoft, got some Miami Dolphins players autographs. And finally we were placed at the head of the line and were one of the first to buy Halo3 :) So in all a good time. Not sure what I am going to do with 2 xbox360s. Since Jr is starting to play more and more we will probably use them both for co-op and other type games.

Sad to say did not play it yet. We got back after 1 AM and had to be to work by 7 AM the today. Hopefully in a bit when I am done with work!

BTW there are some pics/youtube video if you care to see...

You, sir, have now been placed in my ignore list! :p

Congrats on the winnings.

1.8 million in 8 hours, and counting. That'd make at least a hundred million dollars already...

Interesting, in there they say the average selling price of halo 3 is $78. That is what legendary and special editions do for you. Free money, really. Without any special editions obviously the ASP would be about $60, so they're picking up close to a third more money.

Anyway, more thoughts on yesterday's playtime, the game does look really good. Somebody at neogaf said the game is slathered in more shaders than any game he's ever seen, and others claim it looks on an overall basis better than Gears of War. Maybe it's just the "new" factor, but I'm close to agreeing with them.

Basically the supposed weak point of the game, graphics, is one of the strongest points at this point to me, oddly. While the supposed strong point, gameplay, is conversly weaker.

Finished playing all the way to the second to the last chapter. I can see what people are complaining graphics-wise, but theres nothing we can do about it so im not gonna say anything further.

Gameplay is fun, im especially in love with the Brute Hammer(?), too much fun on a stick right there :LOL:

Im impressed with the AI. While some instances they just move around waiting for you to hit them, the others are exceptional, using portable shields under the right circumstances or sneaking from behind and killing me.

I havent tried multiplayer yet, but from what i've seen and heard, that should be where I get my money's worth :D

Finished the first chapter. Fun, but they weren't kidding about zero exposition for players new to the series. MC is down, they get up - start fightin'.

But jeez - I think Gears still rules graphically on the 360. With no AA, and jeez - bilinear filtering (wtf?) - it really does detract from the art. A lot of shimmering, and I just can't get over that they couldn't even go trilinear. A big dividing line between decent looking textures -> mud. Ugh. It does seem like it's the Halo2 engine pushed to the max.

Fun, though. So many weapons available right off the bat.

Me like the gravity hammer.

Me smash things.

Me laugh as grunts scream as they fly through air.

Me get more beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back