Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Megadrive1988, Dec 13, 2019.

1. scently

Veteran Regular

While that post was hyperbolic to the extreme (The XSX version is not the X1X 1080p/60fps version but at 4k, it's much more than that), there is dynamic shadow at night during free roam but not during night race. I personally think it's an oversight or a bug as there isn't any difference to me between free roam and races. Also, FH4 runs at over 60fps@4k on the RX5700XT so the XSX should be capable of it.

VitaminB6, Pete, BRiT and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dural

Regular

That makes sense as I was driving between races when I noticed it. Hopefully it is just a bug and they can patch it.

3. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

4. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

PSman1700, BRiT and VitaminB6 like this.
  5. Kugai Calo

Newcomer

For example the disc drive's controller is paired with the SoC for DRM reason. The drive's controller shares encryption keys with the SoC so that you can't fool the SoC into loading game into memory by replacing the disc drive with, say, a FPGA that always returns "disc verification successful" message.

6. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

You mean the optical drive?

Yeah, that has been a "married system" since the X360. You couldn't replace the optical drive without spoofing the old drives key with customized firmware. It's actually a very sophisticated system from the X360 era. There was quite a cat and mouse situation going on between Microsoft and hackers back then. They had phantom sectors, weak sectors, angular velocity measurements, and even jitter tolerance measurements added as hack-detection schemes.

I haven't kept up with further firmware updates or security scheme changes since 2012.

thicc_gaf likes this.
  7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

8. Kugai Calo

Newcomer

Then this video is for you!

9. thicc_gaf

Newcomer

And nowadays we can load up Retroarch and play some DC and PS1 games on Series X :cool2:

(courtesy of Dev Mode obviously. So, more like MS throwing folks a bone if anything :wink: )

10. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

11. turkey

Veteran Newcomer

That just makes the hardware design look even better. The board is clean, it all fits together nicely and just looks very industrial and minimal.

Johnny Awesome, AzBat and VitaminB6 like this.
  12. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Must be a breeze to assemble at the factory.

Tommy McClain

13. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

14. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

My normal game controller is the Elite V1.

Today I gamed for an hour with the new Series X controller included with the console. It’s very nice feel indeed. The D-Pad feels better than the Elite's. It also has significantly nicer texture on the handles than the Elite V1. The Elite V1 texture grip seems soft material, while the Series controller is firm. I think the buttons are closer together too, or at least it feels like they’re closer together. The bumpers feels improved too. Maybe it’s because the controller is new, but the triggers don’t feel as soft as the Elite’s or has slightly more bounce back.

I really hope they release an Elite V3 soon with the improvements from the Series X controller.

Anyone else give the Series controller a try and have thoughts or comparisons to share?

AzBat, Pete and PSman1700 like this.
  15. Johnny Awesome

Veteran

I love it. I didn't notice everything at first, but the D-pad is a not-noticeable improvement. What I mean by that: After playing for hours and hours I thought to myself: "Hey, the D-pad hasn't been shit, I didn't notice that." LOL

AzBat, dobwal, DSoup and 1 other person like this.
  16. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I had to go back to gaming on the EliteV1 because the battery levels exhausted and I don't have a USB C cable long enough to play-and-charge. But once its fully charged, I'll swap the battery back into the Series Controller so I can get more game time with it. That should give me 32 hours or more with it.

17. VitaminB6

Regular Newcomer

Returning my XBSX because it dips to 100 FPS on Call of Duty. Unexpectable on my 60HZ TV! :runaway:

PSman1700, Johnny Awesome and JPT like this.
  18. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Oh! I thought it was because the controller didn't have haptics. :mrgreen:

DSoup and VitaminB6 like this.
  19. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I thought you were a rechargeable batteries man. Couldn't you have taken the batteries from the Elite controller and put them in the Series X controller?

20. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I thought it was because the optional battery pack provides 30-40 hours of gameplay. That's just not safe to be able to game for that long.

Unknown Soldier likes this.