Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Is this going to be a problem for Quick Resume going forward then because more and more single player experiences seem to have some kind of online connectivity. AC Valhalla does although it doesn't appear to be persistent. I wonder what Watch Dogs is doing differently? I recall the first two games included a mode to allow others to drop into your single player experience, and for you to drop into theirs but as I recall it was entirely optional.

WD1 was optional. Don't recall how it was with WD2. Didn't play the new WD yet. Wouldn't be surprised this online session thing is just a part of certain UBI sandbox games now as a general anti-piracy means with the needed extra functionality for persistent environments, shared players, multiplayer modes and so on. Doesn't mean every game uses all the functions but all run based on the same system.

You can understand Destiny 2 not working with it, but why not NBA 2K21? I am not liking this online direction for single player games, particularly if it's breaking core console features intended to improve the user's experience.

NBA 2k21 has multiplayer according to google.

WD1 was optional. Don't recall how it was with WD2. Didn't play the new WD yet. Wouldn't be surprised this online session thing is just a part of certain UBI sandbox games now as a general anti-piracy means with the needed extra functionality for persistent environments, shared players, multiplayer modes and so on. Doesn't mean every game uses all the functions but all run based on the same system.
Multiplayer in Watch Dogs 2 was also optional. AC Valhalla on PS5 works without internet (yes, my internet is sometimes that bad that my router times out waiting for PADO packets) and I presume the same is true on Xbox.

NBA 2k21 has multiplayer according to google.
According to some googling, NBA 2k21 doesn't support Quick Resume at all, it's not just when you're using multiplayer - which is understandable. I think we'll see some action from Microsoft here because they can mandate support as part of their TRCs, then flag the games which don't support it. I know that Quick Resume isn't part of the games code but I think as part of tasing, games that don't support Quick Resume need to alert the player to this in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be something if the game loaded into the main menu - IIRC on fall guys if I put my PS4 into suspend, when I came back to the game it was booted instantly to the main menu...saving time loading the game.

This is what you would expect, that resuming from a suspended online session would result in the same behaviour as the loss of your internet connection.

Another thing, shouldn’t X360 games work? I’ve tried a couple with no joy.

Which titles did you try? I don't think I tried any. I know the month long previews had it working and being shown with X360 titles.

Have anyone tried Halo CE BC on XSX yet (coop too)? I want an XSX just to replace the OG xbox. theres no emulators out there for old xbox games, and playing on the 2001 xbox on a modern big oled tv isnt all that 'aging well' due to resolutions.
Yes there are PC versions of say Halo CE, but they had missing graphical effects (like godrays from the sun/moon). All i can find on YT is halo from MCC running on XSX. I want the 2001 version in BC :p

A bit of a thread derail here, since it's not about the current hot topic of Quick Resume, but I figured this might be of interest to somebody, even if only as a reference in the future.

This channel tested loading times of 150 games on One X vs Series X. They don't reveal their testing methodology, so the results aren't as valuable as they could be. I found it interesting how many of these head to head battles were won by the One X.

We're they using external mechanical spinners HDD on both systems? Or external SSD on both systems. They should at least show using internal NVME vs internal HDD.

Edit: Only title longer on SeriesX are the following (1 of 5 videos completed)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider loaded into entirely 2 different locations, OneX into a forest area, Series X into a town area.

We're they using external mechanical spinners HDD on both systems? Or external SSD on both systems. They should at least show using internal NVME vs internal HDD.

The first 2:20 minutes everything was faster on the right hand side which is Series X.

Edit: Only title longer on SeriesX are the following:
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider loaded into entirely 2 different locations, OneX into a forest area, Series X into a town area.
Did you watch all five videos?

And there's no analysis here. It's just raw material for anyone's use later on.
But you're right, they didn't explain their testing setup, as I pointed out in my initial post.

Did you watch all five videos?
Going through them now, and editing post as it goes. It takes time. One of 5 videos down, only slight difference was Shadow of the Tomb Raider. And it loaded into entirely 2 different locations, OneX into a forest area, Series X into a town area.

I would've assumed that Series X would load every title faster. And not by a tiny amount.
Optimized or not, SX is much faster at every possible point in the data pipeline. And SSDs through the USB port on Xbox One X never performed to their potential.

Even when it's 5 seconds (SX) versus 8 seconds (One X), I still find that very surprising.

I would've assumed that Series X would load every title faster. And not by a tiny amount.
Optimized or not, SX is much faster at every possible point in the data pipeline. And SSDs through the USB port on Xbox One X never performed to their potential.

Even when it's 5 seconds (SX) versus 8 seconds (One X), I still find that very surprising.

The games are not using the new optimized APIs. We have entire threads about PCs requiring new APIs to be able to make the most out of it's fast storage, plenty of people saying how games don't load any quicker on their NVMEs compared to SSDs, and developers saying how unoptimized most titles have been for loading. If you read any of those discussions, then this should not be a surprise at all.

I thought I'd post the summary of the first 2 videos now. It'll be another 30ish minutes to watch the next 3 videos if they're ~8 minutes a piece.

Video 1 of 5

Shadow of the Tomb Raided loaded into entirely 2 different locations, OneX into a forest area, Series X into a town area.

upload_2020-11-28_14-51-29.png

Loaded Faster on SeriesX:
  1. Costume Quest 2
  2. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
  3. Dante’s Inferno
  4. DOOM Eternal
  5. Forgotton Anne
  6. Forza Motorsport 5
  7. Forza Motorsport 6
  8. Gears of War 4
  9. Gears of War Ultimate edition
  10. Grand Theft Auto IV
  11. Halo 5 Guardians
  12. How to Survive Storm Warning Edition
  13. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  14. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
  15. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  16. Metro Exodus
  17. Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
  18. Oddworld New 'n' Tasty
  19. Resident Evil 2
  20. Trackmania Turbo
  21. Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr
  22. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
  23. XCOM 2

Loaded Faster on OneX:
  1. Shadow of the Tomb Raider [46:09 vs 59:09] loaded into entirely 2 different locations, OneX into a forest area, Series X into a town area.

Video 2 of 5

Outlast: Video finishes loading first on Series X side but has higher number shown. Different video speed up used or mistake with numbers shown? Times were matching until 04:02 and then suddenly counts quicker on the Series X.

upload_2020-11-28_15-11-25.png

upload_2020-11-28_15-6-24.png

upload_2020-11-28_15-14-1.png

Loaded Faster on SeriesX:
  1. A Way Out
  2. Assassin’s Creed III
  3. Beyond Good and Evil HD
  4. Blair Witch
  5. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
  6. Control
  7. Cuphead
  8. Dead or Alive 5 Last Round Core Fighters
  9. Dead Space 2
  10. Dead Space 3
  11. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  12. Dishonored 2
  13. Dragon Ball FighterZ
  14. EA Sports UFC
  15. Fallout 3
  16. FIFA 14
  17. Forza Horizon
  18. Forza Horizon 3
  19. Get Even
  20. LEGO NINJAGO Movie Video Game
  21. Life Is Strange
  22. Madden NFL 15
  23. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  24. Metro 2033 Redux
  25. NieR: Automata
  26. Rage 2
  27. Red Dead Redemption II
  28. Shadow Warrior 2
  29. South Park The Fractured But Whole
  30. Star Wars The Force Unleashed
  31. Tales from the Borderlands
  32. The Evil Within
  33. The Evil Within 2

Loaded Faster on OneX:
  1. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [08:16 vs 09:22]
  2. Outlast [11:27 vs 21:08]
  3. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice [30:22 vs 32:07]

It's a head-scratcher games loading slower on nextgen consoles. I can only assume they are doing something kind of stupid.

It's a head-scratcher games loading slower on nextgen consoles. I can only assume they are doing something kind of stupid.

That or if the titles have network connectivity involved, you can get some variability from that.

An ever so slight possibility is maybe it's not loading like-for-like, such as Series X loading extended content like higher-res textures.

Back