Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

I was playing FH4 last night and remembered this post, headlights cast dynamic shadows at night on the XSX. I searched and searched for a 4k/30 mode to see if that's what I was using, but it doesn't exist on the XSX.
While that post was hyperbolic to the extreme (The XSX version is not the X1X 1080p/60fps version but at 4k, it's much more than that), there is dynamic shadow at night during free roam but not during night race. I personally think it's an oversight or a bug as there isn't any difference to me between free roam and races. Also, FH4 runs at over 60fps@4k on the RX5700XT so the XSX should be capable of it.

While that post was hyperbolic to the extreme (The XSX version is not the X1X 1080p/60fps version but at 4k, it's much more than that), there is dynamic shadow at night during free roam but not during night race. I personally think it's an oversight or a bug as there isn't any difference to me between free roam and races. Also, FH4 runs at over 60fps@4k on the RX5700XT so the XSX should be capable of it.

That makes sense as I was driving between races when I noticed it. Hopefully it is just a bug and they can patch it.

For example the disc drive's controller is paired with the SoC for DRM reason. The drive's controller shares encryption keys with the SoC so that you can't fool the SoC into loading game into memory by replacing the disc drive with, say, a FPGA that always returns "disc verification successful" message.

You mean the optical drive?

Yeah, that has been a "married system" since the X360. You couldn't replace the optical drive without spoofing the old drives key with customized firmware. It's actually a very sophisticated system from the X360 era. There was quite a cat and mouse situation going on between Microsoft and hackers back then. They had phantom sectors, weak sectors, angular velocity measurements, and even jitter tolerance measurements added as hack-detection schemes.

I haven't kept up with further firmware updates or security scheme changes since 2012.

My normal game controller is the Elite V1.

Today I gamed for an hour with the new Series X controller included with the console. It’s very nice feel indeed. The D-Pad feels better than the Elite's. It also has significantly nicer texture on the handles than the Elite V1. The Elite V1 texture grip seems soft material, while the Series controller is firm. I think the buttons are closer together too, or at least it feels like they’re closer together. The bumpers feels improved too. Maybe it’s because the controller is new, but the triggers don’t feel as soft as the Elite’s or has slightly more bounce back.

I really hope they release an Elite V3 soon with the improvements from the Series X controller.

Anyone else give the Series controller a try and have thoughts or comparisons to share?

I had to go back to gaming on the EliteV1 because the battery levels exhausted and I don't have a USB C cable long enough to play-and-charge. But once its fully charged, I'll swap the battery back into the Series Controller so I can get more game time with it. That should give me 32 hours or more with it.

I had to go back to gaming on the EliteV1 because the battery levels exhausted and I don't have a USB C cable long enough to play-and-charge.
I thought you were a rechargeable batteries man. Couldn't you have taken the batteries from the Elite controller and put them in the Series X controller?

Back