Xbox June Showcase 2024 (June 9th 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm BST)

A lot of variety in game types and visual styles with throwbacks, sequels, updates and new IP. Overall a good showcase of games I probably won't play until the next decade after trying to clear the current backlog. Looks like this might be the first large wave of truly "next gen" games?

I am not too sure about that, we already have many games running better on PS5, and that is supposedly inferior, slower hardware compared to series x. No Xbox Series X Pro console would mean that until 2026, every single multiplatform title will look, run and play better on PS5 Pro (gyro, haptics, graphics)
That is not a good look for Xbox and it would remind me of the awful PS4 days where me and other xbox fans dreaded every DF video
Is that worth 500 bucks for 1-2 years?

A lot of variety in game types and visual styles with throwbacks, sequels, updates and new IP. Overall a good showcase of games I probably won't play until the next decade after trying to clear the current backlog. Looks like this might be the first large wave of truly "next gen" games?
Not sure but I think this might be the best show of the last decade from anyone

this is probably the first videogame I've seen where videogames and cinema finally merge. The grenade scene made me laugh, but it looks like you are watching an actual movie, not a videogame. Not because of the graphics -though facial expressions are surprisingly very real life actors like-, but because it looks more like those scenes are from a movie and not a videogame. Also, yeah, the scenes are really a copycat of what you'd expect from an actual Indiana Jones movie.

Sadly, good scene direction is pretty rare in videogames, but there have beem other examples of great cinematography before. Like in Kojima's games, naughty dog and rockstar.

Doom looks very good as usual. I expected it to be based on medieval times though. A Doom in the medieval era would be very original, maybe they just have Hexen and Heretic for that, but still...

Another favourite of mine has been Clair Obscur: Expedition 33, and finally Perfect Dark.
It is medieval! But with space ships and stuff 😂

I am not too sure about that, we already have many games running better on PS5, and that is supposedly inferior, slower hardware compared to series x. No Xbox Series X Pro console would mean that until 2026, every single multiplatform title will look, run and play better on PS5 Pro (gyro, haptics, graphics)
That is not a good look for Xbox and it would remind me of the awful PS4 days where me and other xbox fans dreaded every DF video
And many games run better on Xbox Series X, especially titles based on more modern engines like Avatar or AW2, and I'm also sure that MS titles that will be multiplatform on the current generation consoles will run better on Xbox hardware .

Starfield will remain on Xbox, Grandmaster Spencer made this clear. Maybe you will get a couple of multiplatform games for PS anyway, and one or two bones.

Starfield will remain on Xbox, Grandmaster Spencer made this clear. Maybe you will get a couple of multiplatform games for PS anyway, and one or two bones.

"You're going to see more of our games on more platforms," Spencer said. "And we just see that as a benefit to the franchises we're building. And we see that from the players, that love to be able to play."

If the plan is big franchising, porting all the big franchises is the only way to do that.

And many games run better on Xbox Series X, especially titles based on more modern engines like Avatar or AW2, and I'm also sure that MS titles that will be multiplatform on the current generation consoles will run better on Xbox hardware .

Are you still not convinced that at least the majority of games are being ported over?

Anyway if after this great show Xbox doesn't get a bump in console sales and some growth in game pass subscribers, I don't really know what they can do. It would be the last nail on the coffin that games sell consoles, when it's probably the third, fourth most important aspect. Today, price, marketing, digital libraries and what your friends use are more important.

Ps: I don't think a single game was advertised as running on series x in the entire show. Tells you plenty about the drive from Microsoft to sell more consoles.

Last edited:
Lack of a mid gen refresh is exciting news to me. The fundamentals of the hardware is just too old. Start new and make it good and drop the S series. No need to handicap a new platform day 1 again.
Not a handicap. The S stands for "Saved Xbox". More than 50% of Series sales are S consoles. I don't see MS abandoning the S concept and there's no reason why they won't support 3 SKUs. Btw, Sony supported PS4 for years with PS5 out, so they also have two SKUs to support. This idea that PC devs can support a hundred configs, but MS/Sony can't support 3 is ridiculous.
No Xbox Series X Pro console would mean that until 2026, every single multiplatform title will look, run and play better on PS5 Pro (gyro, haptics, graphics)
This dovetails nicely into my next point - I don't think many will care that much about waiting 2 years (though I would prefer 1 year). The fact that the S outsells the X and that 40+ million people haven't even upgraded from Xbox One and PS4 tells me that a mid-gen refresh isn't needed.

Btw, I love that PS users are paying MS for me to get CoD on GP Day 1. :)

What's hilarious is that Jim Ryan handed the multi-platform thing to MS on a silver platter. He gave MS cover for their multi-platform strategy and pretty soon MS is going to be the biggest publisher on PS hardware and PS gamers are going to be funding GP games for the next decade. Not to mention that MS is now going to be privy to all the next Sony hardware info that 3rd parties are privy to. It's amazing!

Some of you guys think Phil is an idiot, but he used the "CoD has to be on PS" thing to pivot into multi-platform like a champ and now MS is going to open new revenue streams that they only dreamed of before. There is peril in it, but I don't know any Xbox gamers that are abandoning Xbox for PS over it and if they handle it right that should remain so. Powerful new hardware in 2026, announced next summer will satiate the hardcore Xbox fans, especially if Fable, Gears, and Perfect Dark look as good as they do right now.

Another thing they did that was smart at the show was leave some doubt as to what might come to PS. Not announcing exactly what games are coming to PS (Doom likely is) at an Xbox showcase is wise. Much like Sony never commits anything coming to PC until it's about to happen, it's good to keep PS users guessing until MS gets into a rhythm of GP Day 1, PS for 75% of games 1-3 years later. MS will know which games drive Series hardware sales from usage data. They can delay those games coming to PS longer.

For instance, if Fable turns out well and drives Series sales they can soak it to push hardware/GP sales for 3 years and then when people have moved on to the next hit game they can turn around and bring it out on PS for $70. That's the idea. Thank you Jim!

Last edited:
Not a handicap. The S stands for "Saved Xbox". More than 50% of Series sales are S consoles. I don't see MS abandoning the S concept and there's no reason why they won't support 3 SKUs. Btw, Sony supported PS4 for years with PS5 out, so they also have two SKUs to support. This idea that PC devs can support a hundred configs, but MS/Sony can't support 3 is ridiculous.

This dovetails nicely into my next point - I don't think many will care that much about waiting 2 years (though I would prefer 1 year). The fact that the S outsells the X and that 40+ million people haven't even upgraded from Xbox One and PS4 tells me that a mid-gen refresh isn't needed.

What's hilarious is that Jim Ryan handed the multi-platform thing to MS on a silver platter. He gave MS cover for their multi-platform strategy and pretty soon MS is going to be the biggest publisher on PS hardware and PS gamers are going to be funding GP games for the next decade. Not to mention that MS is now going to be privy to all the next Sony hardware info that 3rd parties are privy to. It's amazing!

Some of you guys think Phil is an idiot, but he used the "CoD has to be on PS" thing to pivot into multi-platform like a champ and now MS is going to open new revenue streams that they only dreamed of before. There is peril in it, but I don't know any Xbox gamers that are abandoning Xbox for PS over it and if they handle it right that should remain so. Powerful new hardware in 2026, announced next summer will satiate the hardcore Xbox fans, especially if Fable, Gears, and Perfect Dark look as good as they do right now.

Another thing they did that was smart at the show was leave some doubt as to what might come to PS. Not announcing exactly what games are coming to PS (Doom likely is) at an Xbox showcase is wise. Much like Sony never commits anything coming to PC until it's about to happen, it's good to keep PS users guessing until MS gets into a rhythm of GP Day 1, PS for 75% of games 1-3 years later. MS will know which games drive Series hardware sales from usage data. They can delay those games coming to PS longer.

For instance, if Fable turns out well and drives Series sales they can soak it to push hardware/GP sales for 3 years and then when people have moved on to the next hit game they can turn around and bring it out on PS for $70. That's the idea. Thank you Jim!
It's not some grandmaster strategy that they are employing here, they are doing this out of necessity. They are missing they're targets by some margins with both console sales and game pass subscribers, so they have to turn to other platforms to grow. And they have no other choice than to grow now, after spending 80 billions plus on acquisitions.

Anyway if after this great show Xbox doesn't get a bump in console sales and some growth in game pass subscribers, I don't really know what they can do.
Need good shows, games to actually ship at regular cadence and be half decent.
Single show or game is not enough.

And I'm sure that PlayStation fans and Sony management are very grateful to Phil for choosing to support the development of 1st party and 2nd party exclusive content for PlayStation and later on PC with the 30% donation from every Xbox game sold on PS5 and PS4. That is going to go a long way to help pay for those 200 + million dollar "walking simulator/sad dad" games that PlayStation are so well known for. And Sony don't have to do a thing for that money!
Thanks Uncle Phil!! 😆

And I'm sure that PlayStation fans and Sony management are very grateful to Phil for choosing to support the development of 1st party and 2nd party exclusive content for PlayStation and later on PC with the 30% donation from every Xbox game sold on PS5 and PS4. That is going to go a long way to help pay for those 200 + million dollar "walking simulator/sad dad" games that PlayStation are so well known for. And Sony don't have to do a thing for that money!
Thanks Uncle Phil!! 😆

The more of those 30% cuts that Sony takes, the faster the EU enforced store choices barometer rises. :)

It's not some grandmaster strategy that they are employing here, they are doing this out of necessity. They are missing they're targets by some margins with both console sales and game pass subscribers, so they have to turn to other platforms to grow. And they have no other choice than to grow now, after spending 80 billions plus on acquisitions.
I called him Grandmaster because they showed us so many good games at the Xbox Game Show on Sunday that he deserves that title. Either way, Phil is primarily responsible for these games, and we have him to thank for making so many quality games for us. I don't really care how they value him commercially, that's their business. I'm all about GAMES and the Xbox console is still important to them. That's the point.

Don't think the big name Xbox exclusive titles will be released on other consoles as the "no, no Starfield and no Indiana Jones" statement suggests. Anyway, I don't care if some of the games appear on other platforms as well, if we get quality on Xbox and we can play great titles introduced on Day 1 at a good price in Gamepass.

Last edited:
@stu11 Win win! I'm glad we agree.

They arent missing their targets by much. It's a good strategic pivot, given circumstances.

Last edited:
The more of those 30% cuts that Sony takes, the faster the EU enforced store choices barometer rises. :)
Something I keep meaning to post in one of these threads.

Xbox allowing other/steam store <> being able to run steam win32 games.
They could easily allow other stores, but doesn't mean it's running full win os. So would need an xbox compiled version.
Stream could do things like have pc & console multi entitlements.
Could say it's not a closed eco system, yet people will be disappointed because not full stream.

Yep and I fully support the tearing down of restrictive closed garden systems. One of the things I like about Android is the ability to use alternative stores and to be able to side-load apps (I also like being able to add storage to my device instead of being stuck with what Apple "thinks" I deserve).

My post was mostly to point out that Microsoft isn't solely benefitting from those sales on PlayStation. Sony also gains free money to use to try and hurt Xbox, which is something that Phil Spencer alluded to during the Activision acquisition last year.

They arent missing their targets by much. It's a good strategic pivot, given circumstances.
During the actiblizz Xbox acquisition, one of the leaked documents had the series lifetime sale expectations. It was around 58 milion if I remember right. At the pace it's going it will barely reach 40 milion lifetime.

For gamepass we have this (missing the subscriber target by 50% and the revenue target by 4 times): https://www.gamesindustry.biz/microsoft-drops-game-pass-growth-target-for-ceo-compensation

And Mat Piscatella reporting 2024 growth for subscription of 1% so far.

I would say all of that counts as "much".

Back