Xbox 360 slim hardware thread

Given the single package CPU/GPU... wonder why they were not able to make it smaller...

Console dimensions

differences-360-pred.jpg

Am I the only person who's noticed that the 'RRoD' is officially, and permanently, fixed.....

What, the absence of red lights? ;)

Colour me disappointed still about the dimensions.

So not really slim at all, meaning no 'cute-factor' purchasing like PSTwo. That's been a real disappointment this gen. Are we likely to get another reshrink to something Wii sized?

Well, the PS3 is going to get another shrink anyway because they don't call the current PS3 slim the PS3 slim! However it depends on how aggressive Microsoft wants to be with die shrinks and whether they run into a wall in regards to IO circuitry / integrating DRAM into the central processor etc.

I'm fine with the size as I never had a problem with the original PS3 or X360.

I care more about the bigger HDD and HDMI port as I have a launch 20GB model--glad I waited as I was going to pick up an Elite. Wireless (won't use it), additional USB ports and a quieter drive wasn't that big an issue for me, but I guess it could be considered a bonus.

I'm fine with the size as I never had a problem with the original PS3 or X360.

It's not terrible, just... not what I wanted. :( I'm OK with OG system. Gotta have something big enough to support the PS3 Slim afterall. >_>
<_<
>_>

I care more about the bigger HDD and HDMI port as I have a launch 20GB model--glad I waited as I was going to pick up an Elite. Wireless (won't use it), additional USB ports and a quieter drive wasn't that big an issue for me, but I guess it could be considered a bonus.
Damn. Yes, I bought the 120GB drive. It has served me well with all the bloody Rock Band DLC and installing games.

Wonder why they wanted to increase the number of USB ports. I mean, even if you use the 360 controller charge cable or the 360 wireless headset charge cable........

Wonder why they wanted to increase the number of USB ports. I mean, even if you use the 360 controller charge cable or the 360 wireless headset charge cable........

Thats a good question, although you will have one new USB peripheral soon.
In case you connect:

*headset charge cable
*kinectit
*HD-DVD drive :D

You cannot insert another USB stick on the older Xbox, lets say with your favourite songs, or acting like a MU.

Actually I think adding more USB ports its not much more expensive, and can be another reason for some to upgrade.

Given the single package CPU/GPU... wonder why they were not able to make it smaller...

Probably to make it run cooler and at the same time with less noise? So large CPU/GPU heatsink + large low RPM fan. That's just my guess until there's a teardown of the system.

I really doubt we'll get much smaller this generation. Heat is much more of a factor than last gen. So I think at this point for both Sony and MS, it's about a compromise between heat dissipation and noise levels.

Scary thing is, next generation the heat problems are only going to get worse.

Regards,
SB

Inventory flush for older Sku's. I expect a proper price drop in fall. Likely only $50 for the Elite though. $179 arcade and $249 Elite with a $299 Kinect+Elite bundle would be a good lineup, I think.

Don't see anymore price drops this year myself. If what we were told earlier is right, there won't be anymore Elites or Arcades once inventories are gone. A new SKU will come in at $200. Maybe it will have Kinect or maybe it won't. But I seriously doubt they will add Kinect to all SKUs & seriously doubt they will add Kinect to the new 360S for the same $300. Maybe the only bundle with Kinect is priced at $250? Wii did it.

Tommy McClain

Looks like we got a virtual $20 bet on this one. Have your monopoly money ready to be handed over this fall, buddy!

LOL. OK, for once I'd wouldn't mind losing a bet. ;) Just glad there's no hat eating. Mine are too dirty to eat. LOL

Tommy McClani

still no autopsies, even though everyone at the press conference was given one?

Back