Xbox 360 slim hardware thread

I'm not certain what their actual power usage was.

The Xenons were packed with 203 watts power bricks.
The Falcons were packed with 175 watts power bricks.
The Jaspers were packed with 150 watts power bricks.

CNet article measures original Xenons using 160 watts [ http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-10921_7-6398157.html ]. I'm fairly certain the new Slim model will use less than 135.

Not sure how valid this is, but it's one data point. This article from February 2007 shows in it's tests at the time the Xbox360 to use slightly less power than the PS3 -- http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-2.htm . It'll be interesting to see how the new Slim models compare to one another.

It should use at most 75-80% of the rated PSU in order to stay within the most efficient power band for the PSU.

I'd be really surprised if any retail electronics device ever came within 10% of the rated power suppy that is included.

Regards,
SB

I'm not certain what their actual power usage was.

The Xenons were packed with 203 watts power bricks.
The Falcons were packed with 175 watts power bricks.
The Jaspers were packed with 150 watts power bricks.

CNet article measures original Xenons using 160 watts [ http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-10921_7-6398157.html ]. I'm fairly certain the new Slim model will use less than 135.

Not sure how valid this is, but it's one data point. This article from February 2007 shows in it's tests at the time the Xbox360 to use slightly less power than the PS3 -- http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-2.htm . It'll be interesting to see how the new Slim models compare to one another.

According to Anand the power usage of jasper should to be around 100W.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2682/5

hey for US (and maybe NA?) here is a Gamestop trade in trade up deal when tradign toward the New 360 250GB

The deal is good for a console with either a wired OR wireless controller. Also, it appears that accessories are being bumped up in value for trading towards a Slim. The values are as follows:

Console only (with 1 controller and connectors) $100
20 GB HDD - $30
60 GB HDD - $35
120 GB HDD - $40
250 GB HDD - $45
64MB Card - $10
256MB Card - $14
512MB Card - $18
Wireless G Adaptor - $40
Wireless N Adaptor DISC REQUIRED - $50
Wired Controller - $20
Wireless Controller - $25

Promo begins on Thursday and could last as long as three weeks. However, there is no expiration listed in the e-mail.
for me this means about $215 in trade in stuff :D

hey for US (and maybe NA?) here is a Gamestop trade in trade up deal when tradign toward the New 360 250GB

Not a great deal for the console. A couple of weeks ago, the console trade in value alone was $90 + 50 bonus. Looks like they really slashed the Console trade in prices yesterday.

Now the console is $100 with no bonus.

Not a great deal for the console. A couple of weeks ago, the console trade in value alone was $90 + 50 bonus. Looks like they really slashed the Console trade in prices yesterday.

Now the console is $100 with no bonus.

actually on Monday after the conference but before GS made any changes, I got $80 for a console with $25 boost for $105 + $13 for HDD.

also note, this is for consoles sans HDD so $100 for unit and 1 controller, $30 for a 20 GB HDD, $25 for Extra controller, $40 for a wireless adapter is $195. not bad, to upgrade to built in N, 250GB HDD and 2 extra USB ports, quieter, sleeker looking. :cool:

plus I'm trading my wireless headset since I never use it with headphones

135W is huge for something with the 360's specs.

I have a laptop with a 2.1GHz C2D that is build on 45nm and a GTX 260M (which is about 2x as powerful as the 360's GPU) on 55nm and it uses about 100W max! (and that is including the screen and all).

That's the rating on the brick. Does not correspond to actual draw which will be significantly lower as detailed by other replies. Might be a lot lower as that 135W will have enough extra room to power Kinect when it comes out now too.

I'll be fascinated to see power measurements and a teardown. I dont think any actual consumers have their hands on these yet though.

Hmm. For me it would be only about $165. But I might have some games I could trade. Starting to think about doing it since I just realized I let my 1yr warranty lapse without extending it. Not having any problems with it right now, but if I did it would cost $100 in out of warranty repair costs(excluding RROD or E74 since that's covered).

Tommy McClain

Cool.

That's a $95 trade-in for me. It may actually be $104 since I get 10%more on my trade-ins. Hopefully this will be available at my local Gamestop by Friday.

Yeah it's not like the dude shook the unit, a little too sensitive for sure.

You're joking, right?

He took the unit from a horizontal orientation to a vertical one while the disc was spinning at top speed during game loading.

If your car stereo player goes from a horizontal to vertical orientation, I'd say the last thing you are probably concerned about is your disc getting ruined.

For me I'd get 150 (100 console+40 120 GB+10 mem card).

Considering the box cost 299 (although IIRC I got several discounts, and bought mine back in the $50 rebate time so it was probably more like 240) that's not very good.

But Gamestop trade in values are horrendous. Many fairly recent games will only fetch about 6 bucks. I traded in Rock Band 2 a while back and got a whopping $9 credit, that was with 50% trade in bonus special, it's normally $6 :rolleyes:

Then again with new Arcades running 149, values are bound to be low. $100 for the system is actually way higher than you'd expect at typical gamestop ratios.

Yep. Worked for PSone and PStwo too. That actually messes up the demographics somewhat, in that the consoles are passed on, but not necessarily to gamers who'll buy games. So where the install base expands, I don't think the software and peripheral market expands 1:1 with it. Mutlifunctionality should mean more revenue though, as maybe less gaming types who find themselves with a console will start buying into media even if they don't buy games, instead playing friends' libraries.
Werent the Playstation slims always accompanied with a pricedrop?.

I have a laptop with a 2.1GHz C2D that is build on 45nm and a GTX 260M (which is about 2x as powerful as the 360's GPU) on 55nm and it uses about 100W max! (and that is including the screen and all).
So you're comparing a 2 core, single threaded CPU designed from the ground up for low power consumption to a 3 core hyperthreaded CPU designed by IBM, the same core that apple moved away from due to claims of power inefficiency? :)

You appear to be comparing (new) apples to (old) apples... :)

Each USB 2.0 port can draw up to 500mA @ 5V which yields 2.5W. The Xbox 360 has 5 USB ports so thats 12.5W which means I'll say that about 20W is pre allocated to USB and Aux ports for power.

Given the fact that the rated power has gone down to 135W and they have removed the fins from the PSU, the actual power consumption has probably gone down considerably.

Werent the Playstation slims always accompanied with a pricedrop?.
Not at first I don't think so. But that's besides the point. Whether they got a price drop or not, there was no need for an existing PS2 owner to buy one other than that they preferred the design. Reslling to existing customers is an upside of a small console, though this gen, so far, the shrinks haven't been as spectacular.

Console dimensions

differences-360-pred.jpg

Interesting it's lighter. I think the Engadget boxing had said it was every bit as heavy as the old Xbox which would have been a bit disappointing, but wasnt true.

I the accompanying article, Joystiq throws out a "17%" smaller figure without any detail how they got it. I'm guessing they just treated the dimensions as a square prism. To get the true size you'd need to work out volume, which seems like it would be difficult given all the odd curves on these machines.

Edit: yeah, treating them as square prisms, which I guess is a decent approximation (looking at my 360 now, it doesnt have much curvature, that's more the PS3), does give you the 17% smaller figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes; a few updates ago they enabled USB Flash drives. IIRC, it supports up to 16 GB.

So not really slim at all, meaning no 'cute-factor' purchasing like PSTwo. That's been a real disappointment this gen. Are we likely to get another reshrink to something Wii sized?

Back