Xbox 360 HD-DVD Interview

I would wonder how a DVR would work with the 360. An external tv/cable tuner? Yet another accessory? :yes:

But then again there is the alternate conclusion; Neither. You use the interweb :sly:
Bandwidth of your average high end user is more than adequate for SD streaming... And someone has to be first to do it... ;)

Extra smilie for good luck :oops:

I like how he mentions blu-ray is an outdated 10 year old tech because of its codec, when it can do vc-1 as well. Not to mention higher capacity.

Besides the 1080p facts he states, I just hear the rest as PR talk. :/

I like how he mentions blu-ray is an outdated 10 year old tech because of its codec, when it can do vc-1 as well. Not to mention higher capacity.

Besides the 1080p facts he states, I just hear the rest as PR talk. :/

He said they are using a 10 year old codec while HD-DVD is not. And that's true.

And it shows in the quality of the movies on both formats so far.

He said they are using a 10 year old codec while HD-DVD is not. And that's true.
But he says that like blu-ray cannot do vc-1 either, Warner IIRC is releasing their next batch of movies on vc-1. The upcoming sony movies will be 50GB discs as well (click being the first I think).

Wow. The level of marketing speak and "not answering the asked questions" was pretty intense there for a bit. o_O

He is, meanwhile, definitively trying to indicate that Blu-Ray can't pull the same compression methods as HD-DVD. If swinging the other way, he could just as easily have been complaining that "HD-DVD's stamping methods are old technology. It's 10-year-old technology, it's... uh... been around since the beginning of the digital era. Blu-Ray uses the latest-latest in methods, and that's why their storage capacity is superior. By that I mean latest-latest."

But hey, what else did we expect? :p

(It would indeed be interesting to use his earlier comments and flip a few words, though. "Well, you don't need to, because um... we're giving the publishers choice to use whatever codec they need. We don't want to lock publishers into having to use a new codec to create high-definition movies and having to pay the extra price that's incurred in that." It would be glorious! :p )

But hey, what else did we expect? :p

True, it's not like hes going to say anything really positive about blu-ray when hes paid to sell the hd-dvd stuff. I guess I just feel he could have been a little more on the realistic side(down playing hdmi, saying blu-ray is outdated, etc. is all iffy). Can't knock the man's hustle I suppose. :LOL:

Anyways, I guess the dvr stuff was kinda interesting though, pretty much sounds like microsoft has something planned for that. Question now is, when?

i still cant figure out why anyone would buy this add-on

poor choice of video output and even poorer choice for audio output makes this a real loser imo. its like HD-DVD-Lite.

poor choice of video output and even poorer choice for audio output makes this a real loser imo. its like HD-DVD-Lite.

Hmm, well $200 Canadian, including King Kong ($30) and the full media remote which I wouldn't mind having ($40) makes it about $140 for the HD-DVD player. That's one hell of a deal, I'm gonna buy it for sure, at $250 CAD I'd probably pass, but this is too good.

I'm buying it because it's $200 compared to $500. And my TV accepts 1080p over VGA and component.

Slightly off topic but I wonder if the Fall update is going to include that Music store that Allard is supposedly working on? The Zune music player suspiciously has the same release date as the HD-DVD player. Just wondering if it's all tied together..

I think its a pretty good buy for anyone with a 360 already, of course IF you have a good tv to put it to use. 200 dollars versus 500 is a good deal (and you get free movie and a remote). But I also agree with you, It would be nice if it had hdmi on this thing which would probabaly make it more appealing to the AV enthusiasts. Odd enough, I know some people on the avs forums who are getting a ps3 just because its a 500 dollar blu-ray player (versus 1000 dollars) that supposedly is on par or better than the other retail players out now.

What BB said.. already have a 360 so another $200 to go to HiDef movies on my component in 1080i TV is an absolute no brainer.

You could argue that it's $200 you could put towards PS3 and get a player that way, but the problem with that is:
a) I'm not gonna be able to find a PS3 till spring
b) I think a $100 pricedrop on PS3 will happen by spring, so you would save that by waiting until then to buy one, which you'll have to anyways (see A)

you'll get high def video but you'll still be stuck with legacy SPDFI audio

that's all I use anyway on my system (and most likely continue for the next 5 years as it sounds excellent!) as do many, many people who are not video/audio/philes and these are the ones who will grab this $200 NO branier accessory. :LOL:

You could argue that it's $200 you could put towards PS3 and get a player that way, but the problem with that is:
a) I'm not gonna be able to find a PS3 till spring
b) I think a $100 pricedrop on PS3 will happen by spring, so you would save that by waiting until then to buy one, which you'll have to anyways (see A)
You also stand a better chance to avoid the majority of short- and long-term issues with your machine. (see just about every console launch ever :p )

But he says that like blu-ray cannot do vc-1 either, Warner IIRC is releasing their next batch of movies on vc-1. The upcoming sony movies will be 50GB discs as well (click being the first I think).

First, he didn't say that Bluray can't do vc-1. Secondly, do you expect a Sony rep to highlight MS Live game matching service or LIVE connectivity (LIVE everywhere)?

Personally, I'm not sure that this HD-DVD is a no-brainer. I mean if you're looking to have some HD content from a game console at a cheap price, but most (or at least I) would prefer to have a dedicated player instead of using their gaming console. I mean the price is really good....but it's $300 away from a dedecated player.

but it's $300 away from a dedecated player.

Translated to: It's less than half the price of a dedicated player.

But if output is only through component, that's goodbye to 1080p to the vast majority of 1080p sets, which are already a minority anyway, but that is a major thing for lots of high definition movie buyers.

Back