Microsoft Xbox Roadmap (2013) (VGleaks)

Interesting theory with the HDMI 1.4 connection for Mini. Seems totally plausible to me. Will be interesting to finally see if all these rumors turn out to be true. Just 34 more days left!

Tommy McClain

They will need at least 2 cables for the Xbox Mini to do BC as described in vgleaks, a cable to feed the disc data from Durango to the XB Mini and HDMI from the Mini back to Durango.

I think that's a bit too complicated and so unlikely to actually happen.

They can just do BC through streaming like PS4 is anyway, that seems more feasible.

They will need at least 2 cables for the Xbox Mini to do BC as described in vgleaks, a cable to feed the disc data from Durango to the XB Mini and HDMI from the Mini back to Durango.

They can just do BC through streaming like PS4 is anyway, that seems more feasible.

Don't some hdmi cables include Ethernet? Just playing devil's advocate but couldn't they do a peer to peer network install? That would rule out current 360s from supporting the same feature. Seems an unlikely rumour to me, but not impossible.

So you're saying you wont pull a bgassasin? :p

No, more like I won't pull an N2O, remember his AMD China guy, and all his talk of 384 bit buses and HD8800s? :smile:

Bgassassin doesn't post anymore as it takes too much of his time away from his work and projects.
I'm sure he'll be back come May 21 though.

bg imo kinda mostly stealthily left when it slowly became increasingly apparent Wii U wasn't going to pan out to his 600 gflop DX11 dreams imo :p

I dont blame him I guess.

I like gigging him, he's sensitive, all in fun :p

And yeah, N20, i had forget him, he even told me he would be sure to stick around for E3 I believe. bg isn't even close to on his level, fun aside. bg has popped back in and such.

Don't some hdmi cables include Ethernet? Just playing devil's advocate but couldn't they do a peer to peer network install? That would rule out current 360s from supporting the same feature. Seems an unlikely rumour to me, but not impossible.

What the... I just mentioned that 2 posts ago. :p

Random thought (wild speculation). The VGLeaks article doesn't seem to mention anything about DVR like functionality. The focus seems to be on the 360 Mini having Apple TV like functionality, and that Durango will have that same functionality as well (independent of the Mini). It also alludes to a direct physical connection between the Mini and Durango specifically for BC support.

Just a wild guess, but the HDMI-in we've seen in the early leaks could very well be for the Mini to talk to the Durango. HDMI 1.4 with Ethernet allows for an independent 100 Mb connection between the 2 connected devices. That would be 12.5 MB (peak) to copy the optical data from the Durango to the Mini. That's lower than the 360's ODD absolute peak, but I would think relatively irrelevant to the current install process supported on the 360. In other words, put the 360 game in Durango, have your Mini connected via HDMI, game installs on the Mini's HDD and runs from there. If you want to play, you must have the disc in the Durango, but it runs from the (Mini) HDD, just like now (except install is required).

All processing is handled on the Mini, video is sent to (through) the Durango, which allows Durango OS to be overlaid (likely on a separate Display Plane). Controller input either sent through Durango (HDMI latency concerns?), or perhaps directly to the Mini (which has whatever is necessary to be compatible with Durango controllers). VGLeaks stating the current 360s will not support BC with the Durango (due to different external interfaces) would allude to some req the 360 can't meet. HDMI 1.4 could be one of them. On a side note, USB 2 (or 3) would obviously be faster than the 100 Mb HDMI Ethernet for data transfer, but HDMI would allow for a single connection for both A/V and data. Given what could be minimal data requirements, that could be a reasonable trade-off for a simpler user setup.

Not to extrapolate on a rumor about a rumor but I wonder what version of HDMI the 360 S uses, it was announced and shipped after 1.4 was available. If 1.4 is relevant in any capacity its possible the S' might be compatible.

You did!

Also, I don't see why they couldn't do a network install over the LAN (wifi or each box wired). I'm not sure how controller input would work. Controller is synced to Durango, so how do you pass input to the second console. Over network? That seems kind of ... not good. USB connection between two consoles? Same applies for Kinect. I'm guessing HDMI(possibly with Ethernet) and USB would be needed between the two boxes, if this rumour turned out to be true.

Not to extrapolate on a rumor about a rumor but I wonder what version of HDMI the 360 S uses, it was announced and shipped after 1.4 was available. If 1.4 is relevant in any capacity its possible the S' might be compatible.

No no no no. This is speculation based on a rumor! :p

HDMI 1.4 appears to use the Type D connector, with Ethernet going over pin 14. Unfortunately, I can't find any info about physical differences that I could look for and check on my 360S. The bigger issue, however, is that the rumor we're speculating on specifically states that current 360s are not compatible.

These connectivity functions cannot work with existing Xbox 360 units due to the difference in external interface. The Xbox Mini was designed for this along side Durango.

You did!

Also, I don't see why they couldn't do a network install over the LAN (wifi or each box wired). I'm not sure how controller input would work. Controller is synced to Durango, so how do you pass input to the second console. Over network? That seems kind of ... not good. USB connection between two consoles? Same applies for Kinect. I'm guessing HDMI(possibly with Ethernet) and USB would be needed between the two boxes, if this rumour turned out to be true.

The controller input is a big question mark. Whatever they do, if this rumor is even true, I strongly suspect they'll want a simple to setup solution, that also keeps cost (their BOM) to a minimum. The 360 Mini sounds like a low margin item. I'm not sure if that rules out or rules in a single custom port (solely for BC) perhaps based on some existing standard to handle data and video. Of course, a separate standalone port destroys my entire theory about the HDMI-in on the Durango. :cry:

Sigh, Microsoft could have been announcing the Xbox 360 successor this Friday. But noo, we gotta wait another month. ARG.

I miss when E3 was in the middle of May.

Sigh, Microsoft could have been announcing the Xbox 360 successor this Friday. But noo, we gotta wait another month. ARG.

I miss when E3 was in the middle of May.

I am the opposite. Its the wait after the announcement that totally frustrates me. Prior to the announcement, at least we have an opportunity to freely and widely discuss possibilities, address rumors and comtemplate new realities.

I had way more relief after the PS4 announcement than before... The less we know, the more that can be total bollocks :)

No, more like I won't pull an N2O, remember his AMD China guy, and all his talk of 384 bit buses and HD8800s? :smile:

Bgassassin doesn't post anymore as it takes too much of his time away from his work and projects.
I'm sure he'll be back come May 21 though.
My AMD china guy?the hell is this again,i said many times i just translate what he said and everyone can see his post,is this your way to insulting me?
And btw back in Feb he already said he's wrong and both PS4&720 have same GPU but 720's GPU cut 6CU for ESRAM so 18vs12,of course i don't know what's the point to cut 6CU for ESRAM if it's real

bg imo kinda mostly stealthily left when it slowly became increasingly apparent Wii U wasn't going to pan out to his 600 gflop DX11 dreams imo :p

I dont blame him I guess.

I like gigging him, he's sensitive, all in fun :p

And yeah, N20, i had forget him, he even told me he would be sure to stick around for E3 I believe. bg isn't even close to on his level, fun aside. bg has popped back in and such.
When i told you that?and you said you already put me in ignore list so why still care anyway.
I'm not sure can i stick around for E3 but i hope i can.

Back