Xbox 360 HD-DVD Interview

Translated to: It's less than half the price of a dedicated player.

But if output is only through component, that's goodbye to 1080p to the vast majority of 1080p sets, which are already a minority anyway, but that is a major thing for lots of high definition movie buyers.

Since most movies will be 24 fps, the players will be using 3:2 pull down, that translates to 2.5 fields per 24 fps movie frame.

So you'll get the exact same picture quality from 1080i as you will from 1080p.

Cheers

I mean the price is really good....but it's $300 away from a dedecated player.

More translations:

It's 4-6 full-price games plus that many XBLA games away from a dedicated player. Which is what I can play in about a year, maybe.

It's a year worth of rentals for me away from a dedicated player.

It's a Wii away from a dedicated player.

I do find it pretty funny that the Wintel talking points from this time last year as they announced exclusivity to HD-DVD support centered around BD-50 being a myth. PR from major corporations today is so transparent. They should have just said "we want Java out, VC-1 pushed and PS3 to suffer" when they announced their support back last year, after all that is the cold truth.

I do find it pretty funny that the Wintel talking points from this time last year as they announced exclusivity to HD-DVD support centered around BD-50 being a myth. PR from major corporations today is so transparent. They should have just said "we want Java out, VC-1 pushed and PS3 to suffer" when they announced their support back last year, after all that is the cold truth.

Yeah, but that would be like Sony coming out and saying "Our Bluray movies won't actually look any better than HD-DVD movies, we just want you to buy Bluray because we will make more money if you do."

That would require a thing called honesty, which you will never ever get from any PR from any company, including Sony, MS, McDonalds, Pepsi and even the Catholic Church!

First, he didn't say that Bluray can't do vc-1. Secondly, do you expect a Sony rep to highlight MS Live game matching service or LIVE connectivity (LIVE everywhere)?
Well yeah, but I guess thats just the way he came off to me. He just made it sound like blu-ray was at a disadvantage and was a 10 year old piece of tech because it can only use an old codec. I would love to see the look on the guys face right after that comment if the guy interviewing him said that blu-ray can do vc-1 just like hd-dvd and movies are coming out with that codec. :LOL:

You get full 1080P for games, upscaled DVD's and HD-DVD's over VGA. The vast majority of True 1080P TV's have a VGA input.

Well yeah, but I guess thats just the way he came off to me. He just made it sound like blu-ray was at a disadvantage and was a 10 year old piece of tech because it can only use an old codec. I would love to see the look on the guys face right after that comment if the guy interviewing him said that blu-ray can do vc-1 just like hd-dvd and movies are coming out with that codec. :LOL:

If he's a good PR man, he would turn it around some way or another to make it look like, for example, the Bluray implementation is bad because it's "last minute" (when it was there from the beginning in reality). There is always a way.

You get full 1080P for games, upscaled DVD's and HD-DVD's over VGA. The vast majority of True 1080P TV's have a VGA input.

The vast majority of 1080p sets released in the UK or Europe at least can only take 1080p from HDMI, or 1920*1080 from a PC using DVI-HDMI cables.
Through VGA they won't accept 1080p, only lower resolutions like 1366x768.

Yeah, but that would be like Sony coming out and saying "Our Bluray movies won't actually look any better than HD-DVD movies, we just want you to buy Bluray because we will make more money if you do."

LOL, very true. At the end of the day, companies dont do things for the love of god do they?

$$$$$$$$

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit I thought the HD-DVD 360 add-0n was a plain dumb idea. But for 129.99 pound and with the remote and KK thrown in, it has become a very attractive proposition. I have a Pansonic PV500 its a great TV but the only hi-def source going through it is the 360. So for this price its a cheap way to watch HI-DEF images and makes even more sense in the long run if BR wins out, as you are spending far less than on a standalone. My TV has an HDMI socket but its not a 1080p set so playing through component is no problem and this will be the same for 99% of people with HDTV at the moment. Further as I have said on countless ocaasions the HDMI lead is the most unstable lead I have ever used, the dam thing comes away from the DVD player (denon) and TV with just the slightest movement.

It would be so excellent if you could take this $200 drive and plug it into the USB port on the PS3. :devilish:

Summon the Linux kernel hackers!

The vast majority of 1080p sets released in the UK or Europe at least can only take 1080p from HDMI, or 1920*1080 from a PC using DVI-HDMI cables.

Again, 1080i will sport the exact same image quality as 1080p as long as the source material is <=30 fps.

Cheers

But if output is only through component, that's goodbye to 1080p to the vast majority of 1080p sets, which are already a minority anyway, but that is a major thing for lots of high definition movie buyers.
So, being able to watch movies in 720p is something HD movie buyers or future HD movie buyers simply don't care about? It just seems to me that no one takes into consideration that 1080p is not the only HD resolution out there... That you absolutely must have a 1080p set to take advantage of HD movies, which is just dead wrong. I'm going to buy the add-on and watch the HD movies in 720p on my LCD HDTV (more like 1360x768 over the VGA connection in my case.. the 360 can easily scale the resolution down). I've seen HD video and movie content in 720p and it's amazing. The vast majority of HDTV owners who buy HD movies, no matter what player they have, will be having it output in 720p or 1080i, not native 1080p.

For 200$ you get the drive a movie and a remote, thats a great deal to get into HD movies without plunking down the money required for a full standalone.

It's also a choice and if you don't want one don't buy one, for me I have a 1080P 42 inch westinghouse and already use the VGA cables, my TV accepts 1080P over VGA, so it is a complete no brainer for me.

360 has a security chip that locks periphals to the 360. I doubt a linux firmware hack would do the trick.

I knew that would be the case, but really, if someone really wants to get it done, he/she will get it done. All security chips are practically sitting ducks, and i'm sure some teenager in his bedroom will come up with a soluton. When was the last time a disc-based console wasn't hacked into and made "multiregion" or "able to play copies"?
;)

360 has a security chip that locks periphals to the 360. I doubt a linux firmware hack would do the trick.

The security chip doesn't lock peripherals to the 360, it prevents non-MS approved peripherals from working with the 360. If the controller doesn't have the chip it won't work with the 360.

You can take a wired 360 controller and use it on a PC, despite the lack of a security chip interface. I see no reason why the HD-DVD drive wouldn't be able to do the same.

Back