Xbox One X support for Augmented Reality Hardware *spawn*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Globalisateur, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

And he has said a few important things in the past that have not come to pass...at all. Like when in 2016 he promised VR (and Fallout VR) for Scorpio before its release. I know that some people believed his lie and bought a XBX thinking it'd support VR and Fallout VR. I am sorry but I wouldn't trust him on anything he says before the release of any hardware or services like Scarlett or Xcloud.

Picao84 likes this.
  2. Nisaaru

Regular

I thought the Xbox VR strategy was always about it's up to 3rd party until something convincing crystallised.

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I assume you are referring to this?

https://www.roadtovr.com/fallout-4-vr-coming-to-xbox-project-scorpio/

Where all he really mentioned was that the hardware of Project Scorpio would be capable of VR and that they are talking to their software partners (other publishers and developers) about it.

At which point Bethesda (Todd Howard) said the following about Fallout 4 VR

And then speculation from RoadtoVR that it might be Project Scorpio that Bethesda were talking about.

Hell, I don't think any other media outlet even speculated about Fallout 4 VR coming to Project Scorpio.

At no point was Fallout 4 VR ever claimed to be released on Project Scorpio. At no point was VR even ever promised for Project Scorpio. I know a lot of people speculated that VR would be supported on Project Scorpio. But a lot of people speculate on a lot of things that were never claimed.

Hell, the PS4 CU split speculation that turned out to be completely false and mis-represented in speculation at least had words actually said by Mike Cerny to fuel it. Speculation on VR on Project Scorpio had almost nothing to fuel it.

Regards,
    SB

4. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

But..... he's the holy man :)

5. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Say what?

From the horse's mouth:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...-dev-kits-shipping-month/#kUMv8IO1Dp5lzZEP.97

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11890842/microsoft-xbox-project-scorpio-virtual-reality-e3-2016

Phil Spencer's quote:

In the least you can say the message was ambiguous. At its worst, dishonest. What you can't say is that Microsoft and Phil Spencer completely denied that VR on Project Scorpio when they announced it. The backtrack came a year later.

6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I think the hardware probably does support it.
    They mission aborted on green lighting the ecosystem and content for it.
    It doesn't mean it may not come at a later time though. I think it was critical for them to focus on the basics, to see how Sony is handling PSVR, before investing money into it. Unlike Sony, MS is struggling with selling their 1P as it is. No need to experiment with new forms of play if they can't get the basics down.

PSman1700 likes this.
  7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Curiously though, they haven't even extended XB1X to support Windows Mixed Reality Headsets. No HW outlay is necessary as that's taken on by the IHVs.

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Sure, but that isn't Phil speaking and it's targeted at developers, not consumers. What is often conveyed to developers doesn't always materialize in products for the consumer. Just because you want to gauge developer interest in something doesn't mean that they've committed to bringing that to the consumer space. Plans change, and it's much easier to change them if it isn't a feature that has been promised to the consumer.

Phil likely had to OK or at least been notified of the development group seeking out developer interest, but at the time he still hadn't OK'd pushing the technology out to consumers.

That doesn't contradict anything I posted before. He said the hardware is capable of VR, but never said that VR was actually coming to the console.

Taken together it's obvious that internally they were considering whether to bring VR to the console or not, but never said anything on the consumer facing front to indicate whether it would be part of their console plans or not.

There may not have been enough developer interest and while there is some consumer interest it has remained lukewarm at best. Both things likely contributed to them not committing to VR for their console plans this generation.

Regards,
    SB

PSman1700 likes this.
  9. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

They said on stage that of course it would have VR, the publicity said it would be only console supporting 4k gaming and high end VR. They repeated in a gamasutra interview that VR is absolutely coming.

"We will support VR on Scorpio," said Spencer at the time, referring to the Xbox One X by its codename 'Scorpio.' "We said that onstage. We will support VR on Scorpio, we're going to do that, I think it's important, I think there's some great immersive VR experiences."

How the fuck is that unclear or ambiguous?

Picao84 likes this.
  10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Just curious where you found that quote as I couldn't find it.

Regards,
    SB

11. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Thanks. That was a really obscure (for me) quote. Would also be interesting to see where he said that on stage as I don't remember that part.

But regardless, one instance of him saying that VR will be supported, so I stand corrected.

Regards,
    SB

13. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil my grapes.
    Veteran Newcomer

Off the top of my head though, that's the only instance of MS backtracking this generation. I suppose you could count Crackdown 3 too, but that's more of an individual game thing rather than a platform thing.

I think there was a lot of chatter around VR, expecting it to be the next big thing. It hasn't been. It launched, it's interesting, it's evolving, it's improving. It's not displacing traditional gaming, and so MS haven't felt the need to join the fray. Not this generation, anyway.

All in all, I think that still qualifies the "not sacrificing performance for price" quote as meaningless.

14. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

There was also the "Scorpio will only show a benefit for people with 4K screens" quote that had to be walked back. If you bought an "S" because you didn't think Scorpio was going to benefit you or bought an X during the time when VR was still expected and that was a consideration for you, you have a legitimate gripe. How large either of those groups is is another question, but these two statements are fair game for criticism, IMO.

iroboto likes this.
  15. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Virtual support for virtual reality is virtually consistent.

maybe. (╯°□°)╯

orangpelupa likes this.
  16. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

If x1x got vr games, years ago, I won't be buying PS4PRO, I'll get x1x

Only bough PS4 pro for the better vr clarity hahaha

Picao84 likes this.
  17. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Who spawned my post ?

18. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

It doesn't matter since this entire discussion is no longer about "baseless next generation rumors".

TheAlSpark and Shifty Geezer like this.
  19. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

This generation or this mid-generation?
    There's no shortage of instances where microsoft backtracked this generation. Always-online, kinect always-on, kinect ceased to bundle in consoles, retail game lending, the list goes on and on.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  20. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

might be easier to say that everything under Mattrick was backtracked.
    Even the backwards compatibility; because he said to get a 360. And then ended up releasing BC.