Xbox 360 tech a decade old - Xenon System Diagram leaked April 2004

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Megadrive1988, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Megadrive1988

Veteran

[​IMG]

I recall the diagram being called fake by some of the press and individuals.

GameSpot Rumor Control
    April 30, 2004

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rumor-control-son-of-dreamcast-and-xbox-next-specs/1100-6095043/

IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2004/04/27/xbox-2-details-revealed

Certainly was not fake, even though the clockspeed of the CPU ended up a bit lower and the amount of RAM went from 256MB to 512MB that didn't discredit the leak in retrospect once Xbox 360 specs were finalized and known to everyone in 2005.

I think it's certainly more difficult to pin down how old PS3 tech is because it was in development in various forms and stages before the first Xbox was on the market. Aside from CELL, the Nvidia GPU was a fairly late development, Nvidia doing the GPU was announced in late 2004. It's more or less, roughly the same timeframe as the 360 even though PS3 launched a year later.

Most of you here have read the following books years ago, but for those that have not and are interested in how the last gen consoles were developed, I highly suggest these two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

True... Very much not-fake. It kinda boggles my mind these things occurred so long ago now. Almost feels like another lifetime. :)

3. Megadrive1988

Veteran

All I remember the day I saw that is, thinking to myself, 50/50 it's fake/legit.

4. loekf

Regular

Specially the book written by the guy at IBM on the development of the cell cpu and the derivative they made for Microsoft by re-using the PowerPC core with some extra stuff without telling both companies is epic.

I can imagine the same happened at AMD.... can't wait until someone writes a book on the Xbox One and PS4 from the insider's perspective.

5. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

I remember discussing that with another engineer at work who was extremely adamant that no one in their right mind would design a 3 core CPU.

6. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Oh how I wish they'd created a similar high spec on the current generation. Two chips would've been very nice.

7. XpiderMX

Veteran

#7 XpiderMX, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  8. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Unlike MegaDrive1988 I don't remember that slide or a similar one, by that matter, since I hadn't a regular internet connection back then and had to go to internet cafes to share my thoughts with people on the net and stuff like that.

But I can understand your workmate, I didn't think back then that a console in 2005 could be so powerful (on paper) at that price.

I was shocked when they final specs were confirmed and they showed a 3.2GHz CPU plus 512MB of RAM.

Probably the piece of hardware that made me the most proud when I purchased it --but again, I didn't know much about hardware then.