World Cup 2006

Deepak said:
Was referee partial towards Argentina?:rolleyes:
Partial ? It kinda looked like Argentina had 12 players on the field. Definately the worst performance of this WC until now. Mexico really deserved better, since they played like there was no tomorrow and probably were pretty disappointed after those really stupid decisions.

But then again Argentina got a probable game winner wrongfully disallowed for offside in stoppage time.

Did my eyes deceive me or did we again see two yellow cards without the red one? For Torrado I think.

hupfinsgack said:
Did my eyes deceive me or did we again see two yellow cards without the red one? For Torrado I think.
They did show a yellow on the graphics twice for the same player, but then (before the second) they showed a replay where it was made clear that it was in fact another Mexican that got the first one (for kicking away the ball) and not the player who was involved in the tackle (who got a card later in the game).

Sunrise said:
Partial ? It kinda looked like Argentina had 12 players on the field. Definately the worst performance of this WC until now. Mexico really deserved better, since they played like there was no tomorrow and probably were pretty disappointed after those really stupid decisions.

Funny old world isn't it. I thought today's ref was one of the best I've seen so far. Let the game flow, and didn't get too taken in by some of the histrionics going on (from both teams). Only contentious decision would have been the Heinze booking (whether it was a sending off). Personally I thought a yellow was correct but I seem to be a minority on that score.

As far as the 1 or 2 yellow cards for Torrado, I grew a bit tired of our (UK) commentators trying to make out the ref had made a mistake by booking the "wrong" player - it was clear from the replay he was booking the right player as far as he was concerned.

060612009.1.jpg

Damn that Beckham! If he'd just quit scoring winning goals, then everyone would realize how overrated he is! :cool:

I could watch only 2nd half but England played poorly, they had 4-5 clear chances to score but failed to do so, passing was atrocious. And why were they wasting time in the last 15 mins? It doesn't show their team in a good light, I expected them to go for more goals. I bet that they are not going past Quarter Final.

Well, that should be the last "didn't play to our potential but still won" opportunity. Next game they either go home, or everybody should reconsider how good they need to look if they keep winning in spite of it.

I think they need to get Crouch back in there with Rooney tho. Dunno what that means re who needs to sit down.

Sven would need to go back to 2 up front for that, to play a striker with Rooney. I thought Rooney did really nicely in the 2nd half, never stopped running and was happy to track back and win balls before going forward again. We looked solid in the 2nd half, happy with that performance.

But in general I agree. There's another gear or two to be found, and we can ill afford another game of missed upshifts.

The important thing for England is that Rooney is coming back into match fitness. Even with Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham... it's Wayne that makes England tick, just like he has with any team that he's played in.

I wouldn't change anything for the next game.

Wow, the portugese kung-fu sure is strong. England is just the lucky bitch of the tournament, now playing a quarter final with half of the other side's star lineup watching from the outside...

Scratch my earlier post... the most important thing for England is that they may will face Portugal minus Deco and Costinho, and possibly minus Ronaldo and Figo, if FIFA fancy suspending him for the head-but.

Back