FIFA World Cup 2022 Qatar

Mariner

Veteran
Well, we're on the eve of the tournament in Qatar and it seems that the football (soccer, if you must), is likely to continue to take a back seat.

We've had the Qataris go back on their promises to allow the sale of alcohol at the stadia (unless you're in a hospitality box costing thousands), menacing hints about the behaviours of LGBTQIA fans which will be allowed and now, a mind-boggling rant from the FIFA President, Infantino, criticising the western media for pointing out that an estimated 6,500 migrant workers have died during the construction of the facilities over there.

Here's a report on Infantino's bizarre diatribe:

I can only imagine he's being very well-paid.

With this sort of nonsense before we even start, with the football be able to match up to the off-field drama?

We probably need a parallel thread on this in RSPC as this is likely to get spicy.

Infantino is living up to his name. When you watch him operate, remember that he's the guy who was judged to be less overtly corrupt than Blatter.

I saw a quote the other day on reddit - FIFA is an organised crime syndicate which periodically organises a football tournament.

Well, we're on the eve of the tournament in Qatar and it seems that the football (soccer, if you must), is likely to continue to take a back seat.

We've had the Qataris go back on their promises to allow the sale of alcohol at the stadia (unless you're in a hospitality box costing thousands), menacing hints about the behaviours of LGBTQIA fans which will be allowed and now, a mind-boggling rant from the FIFA President, Infantino, criticising the western media for pointing out that an estimated 6,500 migrant workers have died during the construction of the facilities over there.

Here's a report on Infantino's bizarre diatribe:

I can only imagine he's being very well-paid.

With this sort of nonsense before we even start, with the football be able to match up to the off-field drama?

Now he just needs to try to imagine what it feels like to be "gay, disabled ... like a woman too!" in Qatar. :p And maybe realize that the World Cup shouldn't have been held there.

Regards,
SB

Poor football fans, can't get alcohol for a week.

Nah, they can get it elsewhere, in special zones away from the stadia, but the point is that Qatar were 'awarded' the tournament on the understanding that fans would be able to have a beer at the ground. Then, a week before it commences, they say no.

Not a surprise that they can't be trusted, especially as it was only wholesale bribery which got them the tournament in the first place, but it is in no way a defensible action on their part.

Apparently, Infantino has a very nice apartment in Doha which might help to explain his rather bizarre outpouring earlier today. Folks are criticising his home town!

One of the big upsets from the tournament's history, but Argentina only have themselves to blame for needlessly getting themselves into offside positions so often during that first half. There was masses of space to play into and they didn't take advantage as they should. A great goal from the Saudi player for the winner, it must be said and solid defending to keep the lead from what I saw on the highlights.

With the exception of Qatar, the Arab countries have done very well so far with very respectable draws from Morocco and Tunisia in addition to the Saudi victory.

Well what an absolute thriller of a final game. One of the most exciting world cup games I've ever watched.

Really glad Argentina won and Messi finally ended up with his World Cup win, an amazing end to his career with Argentina.

No dominant teams in this tournament with pretty much everyone having a glaring weakness (or two). It led to some exciting games and unexpected results. The football Philistine in me quite appreciates the way in which many teams got back into games by launching the ball long toward big blokes up front! Also some good football on show, of course.

I'd say that the quality of the 'weaker' teams is certainly improving which is a good thing as we want to see more upsets in tournaments. Very few really poor teams on show which you usually get at the World Cup/Euros.

Back