World Cup 2006

Well done Germany! Football with relentless speed and power and spiced with great goals, Germany looks in great shape.

Moffell said:
Well done Germany! Football with relentless speed and power and spiced with great goals, Germany looks in great shape.

You are kidding aren't you? Did you see their defending? It was dreadful! Germany are going to get crucified by the first decent team they come up against!

nutball said:
You are kidding aren't you? Did you see their defending? It was dreadful! Germany are going to get crucified by the first decent team they come up against!

Their defending is indeed horrible. But I didn't expect them to perform better: 2 of their defenders had major injuries and only recently recovered, a few had very little match practise. It's little wonder that they are somewhat uncoordinated. However, they might rise to the challenge in the next few games and improve.

Few notables: Klose, who is in a really good shape, and Schweinsteiger

Germany looked pretty decent going forward but they were assisted somewhat by Costa Rica. I couldn't quite work out the Costa Rican formation as they didn't seem to have many men in defence, midfield or attack! Defensively very dodgy.

Ecuador deserved their win against Poland who looked very pedestrian to me.

I don't think the winner of this World Cup will come from that group. No doubt Germany will do quite well as usual however.

nutball said:

Hell no I'm not kidding! Sure, Costa ricas first goal was a huge blunder by the defenders but Germany always gets better the farther into the tournament they go. The fact that Germany scored four (4!) goals in the first game should be reassuring for all German fans.

BERLIN BERLIN, WIR FAHREN NACH BERLIN!!!

what a beautiful show in downtown köln.

zülpicher platz was full, people crazy.

nutball said:
It reminded me of last year's Confederations Cup where Germany started out with a 4:3 against Australia and had 15:11 goals in five games. But neither the 2:2 draw against Argentina nor the 2:3 defeat against Brazil were anywhere close to getting crucified (and unlike previous Confed Cups, they both took it seriously this time).

Both Germany and Costa Rica exhibited some poor defending which, of course, made for an open and entertaining match. Plus the German's scored two cracking goals - I'll be suprised if at least one of them is not a contender for goal of the tournament, already. Being the host nation and being eternally lucky means Germany will probably do well, though I'd be suprised if they make the final again.

Wow, suprisingly weak showing by the English imho (1st half) after all their self-hype...

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they looked very comfortable - just the one scary moment at the end. Shame there wasn't another goal but they were creating good chances. I'm sure they'll be happy with the first half performance, unlike the 2nd which has been pretty sloppy so far.

Boy, England played shitty. They could have sealed the game in the first 20 min, but after that it was constant downhill. Hopefully, Rooney gets well soon because their strikers performed poorly.

hupfinsgack said:
Boy, England played shitty. They could have sealed the game in the first 20 min, but after that it was constant downhill. Hopefully, Rooney gets well soon because their strikers performed poorly.
gratz to england. Game was quite poor.

epic

England was certainly the aggressor most of the game, and that is obviously important as the other fellow can't score if he's spending all his time defending his own goal --but it seemed to me that most of their "shots on goal" were quite poor. The tenth row behind the P goal had to stay alert at all times to not be beaned by England's finest.

Back