World Cup 2006

_xxx_ said:
Life's so unfair sometimes...
What in particular? That you don't get paid an obscene amount of money for kicking a "bag of wind" around a field or that someone of the female persuasion might find that attractive? :D

Simon F said:
What in particular? That you don't get paid an obscene amount of money for kicking a "bag of wind" around a field or that someone of the female persuasion might find that attractive? :D

You got it all wrong, he's jealous of the girlfriend. :LOL:

Gerry said:
Very selective.

One striker, Owen, who was coming back from a major injury who has a history of injuries and poor form in the (relatively few) games he played before the WC.
Another striker, Rooney, who started the WC injured and at the time (the squad was selected) it was a complete unknown whether he'd be fit.
Another striker, Walcott, who hasn't played a single minute of Premiership football, and doesn't look like playing a single minute of WC football.
And Crouch, who certainly has his critics.

Doesn't sound that reasonable to me, especially when the extra position was used to accommodate Jermaine Jenas.
No argument from me on Jenas, who seems to be a jack of no-trades and a master of none. But the striker problem never existed. Owen was short on games but has never let England down in the past. Who would we have taken in his place? As Dave said - Bent or Defoe? Ha ha ha. As for Rooney, his medical condition was never as bad as it was made out by Ferguson. He was always going to go, and his performance in the second half yesterday showed this to be the correct decision. Crouch has his critics - I'm one of them - but you can't deny he's done a job for England since he's been playing for them. And Walcott has the elements of surprise and pace on his side. I think we'll see him.

Mariner said:
I've not really been that much of a critic of Sven in the past but it's certainly time for him to go. Sven never seems to know what formation to choose (England have played a different formation in every game so far) and you never get the stability you need doing this. Germany, for example have kept their settled team and formation and have gone from strength to strength. Yesterday, on the other hand, England won in spite of Sven's latest formation, not because of it. We've got some great players but we're still not playing well and unfortunately I can't see it all coming together in time for success in this World Cup. If we reach the Semi-finals it should be considered a good showing with so many players recovering from injury or out of form.
Much of this kind of conventional wisdom is media nonsense. The best thing that any England fan can do right now is to ignore the newspapers and turn off the coverage until the game starts. Believe me it's a lot less depressing if you don't listen to the 'experts'. I watched yesterday's game without any commentary and saw a different game to everyone else - one where there was plenty to be positive about, especially given the conditions.

Simon F said:

Ahem, That guys looking like that get such women. It's not because he's rich, of course ;) And as far as taste goes, mine says "Gimme, gimme, gimme!!!" (her, not him) :)

hupfinsgack said:
You got it all wrong, he's jealous of the girlfriend. :LOL:

I'm jelous of all girlfriends looking that good! They should all be mine!

EDIT:

BTW, italians have the hottest wives. I think I could kill Totti for his wife ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
mcsven said:
Who would we have taken in his place? As Dave said - Bent or Defoe?

This might be a good time to bring up the fact that Darren Bent was the top English goalscorer in the Premiership last season, who has also scored plenty of goals for England's Under-21s. Agreed, he's lacking in full International experience, but then again maybe he should have been allowed more than a single friendly game (in which he got very little service) to prove himself at that level? If nothing else, he's a regular Gary Lineker compared to Theo Walcott. ;)

I have to agree that there's been a little too much criticism of the performance against Ecuador, it was probably our best overall performance so far, and was all in all very disciplined to boot. However, it is still worrying that we don't know our best formation, and free kick aside, David Beckham's performance was again next to non-existent. As far as Lampard goes, I don't know what to make of his situation - Kudos to him for getting in so many good positions, but you can't help but wonder what's happened to the deadly finisher we know from the Premiership and World Cup qualifiers. It seems that a number of players are having an unusual crisis of confidence out in Germany - Aside from Lampard, Terry and Robinson both spring to mind.

Hanners said:
This might be a good time to bring up the fact that Darren Bent was the top English goalscorer in the Premiership last season, who has also scored plenty of goals for England's Under-21s. Agreed, he's lacking in full International experience, but then again maybe he should have been allowed more than a single friendly game (in which he got very little service) to prove himself at that level? If nothing else, he's a regular Gary Lineker compared to Theo Walcott.
To put Bent's scoring in perspective, Gerrard scored more goals last season.

I agree Walcott is a gamble - but he's in the squad because he's obviously quality. I watched him at Southampton and you can see it a mile off. Bent does a job in the Premiership - but Owen, Rooney, Walcott... these players have that extra something (Rooney has that extra extra something). If England go no further than the next game I will not be crying about the fact that we didn't take Darren Bent.

Edit: here's an article on the England game that I agree with, from David Pleat of all people.

mcsven said:
Much of this kind of conventional wisdom is media nonsense. The best thing that any England fan can do right now is to ignore the newspapers and turn off the coverage until the game starts. Believe me it's a lot less depressing if you don't listen to the 'experts'. I watched yesterday's game without any commentary and saw a different game to everyone else - one where there was plenty to be positive about, especially given the conditions.

goto the bbc site,, read the stuff there, carrick..
hanson says he was 'man of the match' , taylor (?) says he failed again so why bother.

immediately after the game, they were full of 'this looks good, they're getting the idea of this new formation and playing together , rooney is starting to get thru'..

then they rememberred they had to slag everyone off.

and yeah,,, germany 2002 or greece 2004.. i dont think we've shown we're the best or anything,, but to think we're terrible is bizarre... especially when england have NEVER done well !!

mcsven said:
To put Bent's scoring in perspective, Gerrard scored more goals last season.

I agree Walcott is a gamble - but he's in the squad because he's obviously quality. I watched him at Southampton and you can see it a mile off. Bent does a job in the Premiership - but Owen, Rooney, Walcott... these players have that extra something (Rooney has that extra extra something). If England go no further than the next game I will not be crying about the fact that we didn't take Darren Bent.

obv as a bolton fan,, i feel (super) kevin davies should be there and kev nolan.. ;)

So what do you guys think? Was it a penalty?

I'm inclined to be believe it wasn't. The "fouled" Italian was smiling even before touching the ground. (But it was a funny replay though)

hupfinsgack said:
So what do you guys think? Was it a penalty?

I'm inclined to be believe it wasn't. The "fouled" Italian was smiling even before touching the ground. (But it was a funny replay though)
Maybe it wasn't but on the other hand, the red card for Italy prolly wasn't one either.

But generally speaking, I think the refs are a bit too intrusive.

Back