Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we take discussion about possible problem you might have had on a 15 year old system to another thread?

Alright, lets end all the non Windows 10 talk too.

Anyone else having Edge crash or otherwise spontaneously terminate a lot on them? On my system, Edge's window almost always moves and/or changes shape after the monitor comes out of power save, and sometimes the entire app just quits outright after waking up the screen.

This seems to be tied to the window having been minimized first before the monitor going to sleep, and then it just up and quits on me without any further notifications or error messages or such when trying to fold it back out again. It's happened a number of times now...

I've only used edge to run a benchmark comparing it to chrome, I have read that edge has issues, however.

I've only used edge to run a benchmark comparing it to chrome, I have read that edge has issues, however.
I haven't noticed any in day to day use, it's been my main browser since day one, except for work where I use IE (for NPAPI support, which Edge doesn't have and Chrome is dropping (and has crashing with this particular plugin), FF is simply crap these days even if it still has NPAPI support)

I haven't noticed any in day to day use, it's been my main browser since day one, except for work where I use IE (for NPAPI support, which Edge doesn't have and Chrome is dropping (and has crashing with this particular plugin), FF is simply crap these days even if it still has NPAPI support)
I used IE all the time and have been using edge , it crashes a lot esp on sites with a lot of gifs or ads. It also gets extremely slow and of course it even lacks the basic ad blockers that IE has.

Hopefully with threshold 2 hitting in Oct/ Nov and the promised add on support for edge we will see that quickly change

Yes it's realy bizzar. I like to shift around things like Afterburner, Steam Chat, Firefox etc. and the app will move between the windows fine but when the mouse hits the edge of the screen I get the 'snap too' ripple and the half screen 'snap' outline appears as you would expect from the other side of the monitor. The thing is I can't remember if it's the latest Catalysts which caused it or Windows 10. :oops:

Just thought I would update this comment.

As of a couple of weeks ago this issue resolved itself. I'm not sure how but I tried to move a window between screens and it worked ok. Auto updates are on.

It's still a bit odd though;for example dragging afterburners graphs window between screens works fine, even if the transision is reeeeeaaaallllllyyyyyy sssllllloooooowwww. However moving Firefox between screens at anything less than "quick" causes the window to get stuck on the original page.

Just thought I would update this comment.

As of a couple of weeks ago this issue resolved itself. I'm not sure how but I tried to move a window between screens and it worked ok. Auto updates are on.

It's still a bit odd though;for example dragging afterburners graphs window between screens works fine, even if the transision is reeeeeaaaallllllyyyyyy sssllllloooooowwww. However moving Firefox between screens at anything less than "quick" causes the window to get stuck on the original page.

Here is a solution I had to use recently for this in Windows 8.1 when dragging a window between monitors would sometimes randomly "stick" on the edge between the monitors. I didn't want to completely disable Windows Snap as I like that feature, so this registry edit did the trick.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/49401-sticky-edges-multi-monitors-enable-disable.html

Not sure if that exists in Windows 10. I haven't "upgraded" my Windows 8.1 desktop to 10 yet. I'm putting that off as long as I can due to the usability downgrade that Windows 10 is compared to Windows 8.1 for me.

Regards,
SB

So there was suggestion late Aug/early Sept that there was going to be a big update in September, any further word on this?

The Cumulative Update near the start of Sept didn't seem to be anything big & there hasn't been one since.

Last edited:
So there was suggestion late Aug/early Sept that there was going to be a big update in September, any further word on this?

The Cumulative Update near the start of Sept didn't seem to be anything big & there hasn't been one since.

October 6th.

I tried Edge for a while but due to instability issues I switched back to Chrome. Will try again sometime.

Edge is REALLY rough. Ugh, see what I did there...?

I'm surprised they even went live with it in this poor state. It's not just the missing features, it's the instability and the page rendering errors too.

Have to disagree, I really Ilke Windows 10 and have very few issues. Your mileage though will vary depending on the drivers for your specific hardware.

OK so the difference is probably that I am using as many universal apps as I was in Windows 8.1 ... I will test if the same applies to me though.

Have to disagree, I really Ilke Windows 10 and have very few issues. Your mileage though will vary depending on the drivers for your specific hardware.
Given all the hardware I have at home, I too am quite happy with Windows 10. It's been VERY stable on all five of the machines I'm running, from a six year old, underpowered-even-when-it-was-new Dell Mini 10v to my "modern" x79 Sandybridge-E overclocked, all-SSD, 980Ti wielding gaming rig.

The only real complaints about Win10 in my house haven't been bugs, but were GUI features specific to my wife's Surface. And the crap Edge browser.

OK just installed windows 10 on my new SSD, it starts up now in < 10 seconds.:D
One thing I noticed installing from USB stick,
stick it in, boot from USB

click, type serial code, click etc 10 minutes later, "windows will reboot now and install further stuff .. "
(reboots)
clicking again, (me) hold on this looks similar to the last time, surely its smart enough to know it just installed itself a minute ago and rebooted ... obviously not, ctrl-alt-delete (change bios to boot from HD and hoping thats good enuf)
I can see some users getting stuck in an infinite loop :p

Now to re-install all my software, waiting on my main DAW software to come from USA though, hoping the price doesnt go up due to the dropping NZ dollar in the meantime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back