Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows has decided to hide most of my old files.
So this turned out to 'only' be Windows failing to talk to all of my drives after waking, which has happened several times & is not a good seeming thing.

I had to untick the ability to be woken over the network from my Ethernet controller in Device Manager.
Still happened the other night when my internet was offline so I'm not sure this will make a difference but its something to try so I have disabled that option :)

Do you have any other devices on the network that might send out broadcasts or other types of packet that the Windows machine might feel like waking up to respond to?

LoL @zed; I promise that I do not think you're dumb! I actually could not remember how to make it work either, which is why I was already off the nerd deep-end on trying to manage it through desktop.ini :) And again, it may not even work the same way in Win10, but thought I'd offer it to be helpful.
Mate I didnt think you thought whatever ..., anyways I spoke too soon, its reverted to the title/album etc junk in dome directories so it wasnt a cure like I thought
Its annoying cause atm Im working a lot with sound files & only want to know the name & when they were made & the file size ( i.e. the general file view)
this is the song Im working on ATM though, still very rough, started the day before yesterday, today no work so mucked around with it, hopefully finished in 2 weeks (can't wait for the solo to lay down some noise)
http://zedzeek.com/music/stupidfuck.mp3
so, maybe I'm just dumb :mad:

was it truly the Win10 update service that performed the AMD driver upgrade?
I'm not sure what kind of update exactly it was that windows wanted to install the other day (because according to windows update's update history itself, it hasn't installed ANY UPDATES EVER :rolleyes:), but in my case at least it probably wasn't catalyst driver, because the driver currently installed has the same version number as the one I downloaded and installed manually a while ago. :)

I have a bit of a reverse problem - can't get my wife's laptop to wake from external keyboard or mouse.

Weirdly my microphone is super quiet now. Same computer and Mike. I wonder why it is acting like that. I noticed because Cortana could not hear me at first. If I speak loudly it works but I used it in games and to record in windows 7 and could easily just chat. One note no longer works right when importing printouts either. Otherwise so good so far

I just realized windows 10 did not have shadow copy backup...

That feature was totally invisible to common user in w7 but it is awesome feature.

Overwritten a file? Just restore. Mostly happens with word documents and wrong saving.

So there is a new Cumulative Update out.
I don't see anything changed as of yet.

Does anyone know what 'Quiet Hours' on the notification menu thing is/does?

I assume it would be the same as iOS' "do not disturb" feature? IE, dings and whatnot coming from the speakers are silenced.

Windows 10 is shaping up to be the most unstable release since Millennium Edition (ME)

The sad thing is that I don’t remember encountering nearly as many issues when I first started using Windows 8. Yes, there were some video driver issues when I upgraded my Envy x2 to Windows 8.1. But these were quickly sorted out by a driver update from HP. However, I don’t recall having as many problems with Modern apps running under Windows 8.x (e.g. no sudden "poof" events with the Mail client or Modern IE), and I certainly never experienced the kind of random freezes/lockups I’m seeing with Windows 10.

To be fair, Microsoft is trying something new with Windows 10: A rolling update cycle in which the OS is never truly "finished" but instead keeps evolving over time. However, I can’t help but feel that the Windows team perhaps used this new development mantra as an excuse for cutting corners and releasing a remarkably unpolished (for a full release of Windows) product. Maybe this new approach will provide dividends in the future, but right now it’s leaving a sour initial taste, one that may prove extremely hard for Microsoft to mask down the road.
http://betanews.com/2015/09/15/wind...unstable-release-since-millennium-edition-me/

I must agree I've found it pretty unstable, especially in comparison to Windows 7 which was rock solid. Aside from DX12 I'm not really seeing any benefit from Windows 10 at the moment.

For the last couple of releases of OS X on my laptop I've been quietly grumbling that Apples' OS is getting worse and worse stability-wise, and would soon be worse than Windows. Having installed Win10 on my desktop PC, it seems to me that MS is determined to restore the natural order. :)

I've not rolled Win10 out to my family's laptops and desktop, and won't do so until the very last moment that I can still get the free upgrade.

For the people having problems, are you on an upgraded install, or a fresh install? I've been on a fresh install since the weekend after it launched and haven't had any problems at all with it.

Yeah to be honest I haven't found it unstable or buggy in particular. Other than broken Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect output. (is that fixed yet?)

It's mostly just an annoying OS, especially on a tablet. Their new system update strategy is insane too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back