Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
surely its smart enough to know it just installed itself a minute ago and rebooted ... obviously not
This is my one personal nightmare every time I install windows from scratch, but fortunately it has always worked - so far. Haven't bothered with reinstalling 10 yet, but that day will come as soon as I find a decent USB3 flash stick that is both fast and not enormous. :p

just make sure as soon as it reboots (in about 5-20 minutes depending on HD etc speed) press del to go to bios and change to boot from HD, bad programming on MS's part. I just stuck it in a USB2 32GB stick (it only requires 3.11GiB on the stick, so 4GB will suffice)

If your firmware is set to boot to USB first and foremost, then it will boot to USB before HD. If you've just finished installed the OS from USB, what else did you expect to happen? I'm not sure how this is Microsoft's fault.

In all of my own machines, the first boot device in BIOS is the internal hard drive. However, all of the machines also allow a keystroke (F11 for the gaming rig) to override the boot method during / right after POST. I had zero problems getting the USB media to work the way it should, because my default boot device wasn't the USB key.

This seems yet another thing that Microsoft gets tossed for, yet has no control over.

If you've just finished installed the OS from USB, what else did you expect to happen?
The installer should recognize the partial windows install already present and not copy the same files all over again.
The windows install procedure is very quirky by the way. Not sure why exactly quite so many restarts and so on need to be necessary. Seems old and archaic, like the need for frequent restarts when patching the OS itself and so on.

The installer should recognize the partial windows install already present and not copy the same files all over again.
What if data was corrupted and you want to redo this step?
Seems old and archaic, like the need for frequent restarts when patching the OS itself and so on.
Kernel on the fly patching is very hard. It's in "good enough" category.

What if data was corrupted and you want to redo this step?
So you format the drive and start over, like you usually do? Or the installer queries what you'd prefer?

There are more possibilities than just dumbly copying the same stuff over and over, which can cause frustration and confusion amongst neophyte users by making it look as if the install is stuck in an endless loop (and it needlessly wears on flash storage and so on.)

The installer should just do it's job and sometimes that may mean telling you to remove the USB drive when it is done copying. It used to do that way back when for DVDs and CDs as well.

Given all the hardware I have at home, I too am quite happy with Windows 10. It's been VERY stable on all five of the machines I'm running, from a six year old, underpowered-even-when-it-was-new Dell Mini 10v to my "modern" x79 Sandybridge-E overclocked, all-SSD, 980Ti wielding gaming rig.

The only real complaints about Win10 in my house haven't been bugs, but were GUI features specific to my wife's Surface. And the crap Edge browser.

Finally make the move, aftter check that every render engine i was using will not been a problem... rarely made a so flawless migration with any windows software.. all my settings from win7 are here:

- my old titaniumHD soundcard.. no problem, even my particular settings was there
- Blender + luxrender no problem ( i have just to launch one of my scene hit render, all is working perfectly, all my UI, personal setting, addon are installed. )
- Same for 3Dmax, inventor and Autocad ( all migrated perfectly ) and their own OpenCL engines ( well for 3Dmax )
- my SSDs ( one Evo 840 pro + 2x raid of C300 ) all setup fine ( even rapidfire is enabled in magician )
- no problem of color on my monitor ( my setup have been migrate fully )
- even old software that i use for record voice + images of the desktop is working.

- ( like it have keep my windows icon launch ( not the appearance ) i have find every setting of the configuration easely.

The only thing i have need do is change appearances a bit, set "autoendtasks" in regedit.. check my power config ( for my SSD's, and i dont use hybernate or power screen off, due to renders ), and install the AMD catalyst 15.9.1 released today.

As for Edge... Even if i still use my FF, i have discover something funny: Many sites i visit ( maybe made with windows10 in mind or silverlight ) are completely different, way more complex... there's,videos, animation, where on Chrome and FF i have only static images. Thoses are not publicity.. thoses are designed by the sites. Even the display is set differently, images tiles, titles are set a way different ( and really more atttractive ways ).. ( dont know, a more advanced silverlight ? )

On the end, it really bring a strange feeling, like if i had only change the desktop theme.

Last edited:
If your firmware is set to boot to USB first and foremost, then it will boot to USB before HD. If you've just finished installed the OS from USB, what else did you expect to happen? I'm not sure how this is Microsoft's fault.
you've answered yourself, I have no idea its finished installing (and it hadnt actually finished installing windows, it may of finished with the USB but gave no indication it had)
eg from memory, remember installing 95/98/XP from CD rom. Stick it in, boot from CD rom it spins away, 10 mins later it reboots (you eject the cdrom) only for it to complain, wheres the CD rom cause it aint finished yet

This seems yet another thing that Microsoft gets tossed for, yet has no control over.
what? you honestly can't think of how to program this to work better, I hope you don't engineer for a living :)
heres what I would do,
1. boots from USB
2. see if it has freshly copied windows files are on HD but not yet set up (check the time stamp perhaps though perhaps user changes time in bios so not 100% safe) then install that, don't recopy the exact same files again, reask the same info again
-yes setup and goto step 3
-no copy files and goto step 1
3. once into the windows desktop display a messagebox (remember to change bios) though most hopefully users would understand when the desktop etc that windows is now installed

though in defense of windows it does seem to require less reboots to install windows 10 than previous versions.

One cool thing is my new version of win10 is authenticated (it must of scanned my other HD's to see if they were), no need to click/type anything

question: Is there someway to easily copy cleartype info (from registry or what not) from one windows 10 version to another, I've tried setting it up but with my new version the text looks distinctively worse than my previous win10 version?

Windows 10's growth slows dramatically

The previous set of usage figures released by analysis firm NetMarketShare showed users were upgrading to Windows 10 at an impressive rate. In August -- the first full month of availability for the new OS -- Windows 10 went from 0.39 percent to 5.21 percent share, leapfrogging Windows 8 (but not Windows 8.1) in the process.

Eager upgraders were obviously behind the spike we saw in August, but the drop off in September is slightly surprising. While Windows 10 still grew its share, it only managed a gain of 1.42 percentage points which puts it on 6.63 percent.

Elsewhere, Windows 8 actually rallied fractionally in September, going from 2.56 percent to 2.60 percent, a minor increase of 0.04 percentage points. Windows 8.1 fell 0.67 percentage points, going from 11.39 percent to 10.72 percent. Combined, Windows 8.x currently has 13.32 percent of the market.

Based on the current growth/decline rates we can expect to see Windows 10 overtake Windows 8.x by January now.

As to the top dog, Windows 7’s share is declining, but at a gentle pace. Users are in no great hurry to abandon it for Windows 10 it seems. In August Windows 7 had a 57.67 percent share. In September it was on 56.53 percent. A drop of 1.14 percentage points.

Windows XP shows no signs of disappearing anytime soon either, and actually grew share last month, going from 12.14 percent to 12.21 percent.

If you’re wondering how Windows 10’s current rate of growth compares with that of past operating systems, I can tell you. When Windows 7 launched it took just one month to take 6.21 percent of the market, and it was at 8.30 percent by the following month. Windows 8 on the other hand was a disaster at launch, managing just 1.76 percent in its first full month, and hitting 2.53 percent in its second month.
http://betanews.com/2015/10/01/windows-10s-growth-slows-dramatically/

NetMarketShare should be ignored, yes I know lots of news sites use it due to their heavy self promotion, statcounter is more accurate ~100x more data samples, doesnt (ahem) alter (cough) the numbers etc
According to them Win 10 is up to 7.64%, Will most likely overtake OSX next month @ 8.63%. Very impressive for a OS thats only been out for a couple of months, sure its free but still

Compared against OS's that were not free it's not that impressive. Looking at NetMarketShare's numbers 2 month results for an apples-to-apples comparison of Win 10 and Win 7, Win 7 had higher first and second month penetration rates. NetMarketShare also includes "try & burn" installations, tracking people who tried Win 10 but decided to switch back.

Statcounter numbers are somewhat dubious since they are derived by "StatCounter Global Stats data is based on over 15 billion page views per month to over three million websites." Pretty easy to manipulate with bots or similar tech.

Asus motherboards have this feature where you select to boot from a device just once. Then it proceeds to boot normally upon restart.

That'll certainly be a draw, but not one that's necessary right now. Gamers are generally going to be more "new tech" oriented and less averse to upgrading than the wider populace (diametrically opposed to volume enterprises).

Windows 8(.1) showed a steady growth on Steam, primarily to the detriment of Windows 7, peaking at 35% share (with Win 7 at 55% at that time). However after two months Win 10 has surpassed Win 8 (not surprising that Win 8 users are going to be risk averse to moving to Win 10) and taken 10% of the Win 7 users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back