Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. Might not be as easy as I thought for some users.

I always root my phone and install a custom recovery (either ClockworkMod or TWRP) and both of these easily allow the user to wipe cache and dalvik cache.

I've just had a quick check and it appears that the stock android recovery doesn't offer the chance to wipe the dalvik cache though most do allow the normal cache to be wiped. If you go this route be very careful not to factory reset/wipe the phone!

You should also be able to delete cached data for apps from within settings in android which might help to some extent.
I don't want to pollute this thread so could you pm me the benefits of clearing the dalvik cache and why it speeds things up. Thanks.

MS is responsible for creating admin accounts by default (not sure it still does though ;p)
Ask for an administration password at install time and ask the user to create a user account too, then don't allow any other admin account to be created. (or something like that)
"Responsible"? It is by design - in any OS with a UNIX-like security model, someone has to have full control of the system. And if you are not going to have control of your own personal computer, then who exactly should have it?

(Not to mention that consumer versions of Windows did not really have any security and access control mechanism before Windows XP, since NT/2000 were strictly "business" branded versions).

Even today, the default user account is an administrator - Windows 10 does not change that. However "User Account Control" (UAC), available since Vista, restricts full "Administrator" rights to standard "User" rights do prevent harmful code from running automatically. Most admin actions require a temporary elevation requested with a scary dialog box - but then again, "clever" users got around the practice by automatically approving all UAC prompts.

What now - will you require a Microsoft support technician to review and approve every potentially stupid action by the end user? Or maybe implement some cloud-based super AI capable of doing the same, and not forget to implement strict compliance to the Asimov's Laws of Robotics?

I installed Windows 10 and don't remember what type of account it creates, I assume it's still admin since I could install software... which is wrong.
Microsoft did recommend creating a standard user account to run everyday tasks - but most people never did. In fact most of them never even bothered to set a non-empty Admin password.

I tried this setup when I had a Windows 2000 installation, and it didn't really work. Having to switch the user accounts to do even most simple tasks like changing the display resolution was too cumbersome. So when I upgraded to Windows XP, I just left the admin account and installed as many antivirus, firewall antimalware tools as I practically could.

(BTW it didn't help - in the end, my Windows installation was infected with almost all kinds of rootkits which appeared at the height of 2002-2003 Windows malware wave targeted at pre-SP3 vulnerabilities, but that probably had nothing to do with having admin user rights because these viruses were using buffer overruns, malformed pages and other exploits to get system access).

I'm not implying it's the same code, I'm just saying that in practice it doesn't make much difference to typical users.
Nothing makes difference to typical users as long as you maintain the Start button in the bottom left of the Task Bar and Close button in the right top corner of the application window, and as long as their version of Windows runs on their current hardware.

My Windows 2000 PC was a Pentium III 700 MHz with 128 Mbytes of RAM, Riva TNT 16 MB and 15 GByte hard disk. My current Windows 10 PC is a Core i5-2500K 3.2 GHz (4-core) with 16 Gbytes of RAM, Radeon R9 290X 4GB and 12 TBytes of storage. Does a 100x difference in processing performance and 1000x difference in memory/storage capacity really make any practical difference?

Yes, fragility due to millions of lines of code and ever-changing APIs, and the same happens to Unix btw. Users will get owned regardless of their access privileges unless you go Apple-style and do an App Store in a closed platform like iOS.
That's the point. The only freedom Unix-like security model offers to casual non-technical user in today's connected world is a freedom to get instantly infected with a virus. If they can't take the responsibilities of running under admin account knowing what they are exactly doing, the Windows Store is the best solution for them.

Last edited:
By the way, to anyone who have been using Win10, is the thrice-cursed charms sidebar finally gone?

Thanks! :D

By the way, to anyone who have been using Win10, is the thrice-cursed charms sidebar finally gone?

Thanks! :D
running win 8.1 & I dont have it, havent even seen it once for prolly a year. So its definitely possible to get rid of it so you dont see it.

running win 8.1 & I dont have it
How on earth did you manage to get rid of it in 8.1??? It's like a fricken roach infestation here on my PC; hard to find when you want to; pops out when least expected to - or wanted.

How on earth did you manage to get rid of it in 8.1??? It's like a fricken roach infestation here on my PC; hard to find when you want to; pops out when least expected to - or wanted.
StartIsBack offers the option*, so presumably there are settings that anyone could get to. Presumably ... :)
*It's under "Switching".
http://startisback.com/
Trial, licensing and activation
How trial version works?

There are no limitations in trial version. After installing it runs for 30 days. If you don't activate it with license number you bought within 30 days, it will still work, but in limited mode: Start Menu will be blank and non-customizable; every boot you'll be nagged about evaluation period over. Trial period runs for each user which have installed StartIsBack on one PC separately.

Classic Shell is free and it seems can do it as well.
go to the "Windows 8 Settings" tab in classic start menu 3.6.5 (update if you dont have this ver), find "Disable active corners" and click ALL
Though if you have a touchscreen the swipe function remains enabled.

Finally, I found this.
http://www.howtogeek.com/127645/how-to-disable-the-charms-bar-and-switcher-hot-corners-in-windows-8/ You can alter the settings in the registry to get the effect.

Maybe I need to re-log or something for the change to take effect... Hmm. Well, thanks for the tip anyway! :D

I think its prolly classicshell.net
I did quickly search settings and couldnt find anything to do with charms, but I've been running that program since the 2nd week of using win 8.0 I assume there was an option to turn charms off cause yes they were annoying

They aren't on my win 8.1, only ever saw them on the laptop that has a touch screen after the 8.1 update afaik

Oh, the charms shit is still part of 8.1, even without touchscreen... :(
I have to put my mouse cursor in the corner for 3 seconds for it to show up... is it even a problem? Although I noticed a few times where it shows up unexpectedly fast, and question its purpose in general.

Just had a message in my system tray, it asked if I wanted to reserve my free upgrade, and get an e-mail when the 3 GB download had arrived. I doubt I needed to reserve anything, this could be marketing lingo, but maybe the rollout goes first to those who are eager enough to reserve. That actually makes sense. Now I see another message, it just fleshes out the free upgrade works. "Reserve, Install, Enjoy", with those concepts fleshed out. :)

The message might have come because I manually checked for updates.

Edit: lol, "some apps sold separately"

Although I noticed a few times where it shows up unexpectedly fast, and question its purpose in general.
It pops up immediately if you hit the edge of the screen and move the mouse upwards slightly - as often happens if you want to say, fiddle with your backpack when playing world of warcraft or something like that. (I like windowed mode for browsing the webs while playing... :p)

Edit: lol, "some apps sold separately"
What about batteries, or action figures, are they sold separately too? :D

It pops up immediately if you hit the edge of the screen and move the mouse upwards slightly - as often happens if you want to say, fiddle with your backpack when playing world of warcraft or something like that. (I like windowed mode for browsing the webs while playing... :p)

What about batteries, or action figures, are they sold separately too? :D
Yeah, that's how it felt to me as well. :) Edit: I now wonder if that was a bit tongue in cheek by Microsoft.
Thing seems stuck in my tray, opening it up and clicking around I see "Your PC is ready". Clicking on that I'm then told, "You're good to go!", and with 0 devices, and 0 apps, with any known issues. So, ok, this is good to know. Edit: btw, it seems some of the links in this app aren't up and running yet. Sort of cool in a way, gives things an organic feel. Not so cool if one has issues, and they're not ready, though. ;)

Got the windows 10 reservation icon in the systray area this morning on my main rig even though I was never part of the W10 beta test; booted up my old backup box as well to see if I could get the reserve icon thingy to pop up there as well and is now looking at something like ~95 windows important and critical updates accumulated since mid-november last year... Hoooleee Fucken Shit! I even had to update windows update to even get the remaining 58 critical/important updates to show up! :LOL:

Then there's a bunch of optional updates too on top of that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back