Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving a shortcut in the start menu hardly amounts to modifying your car though. To me, this sounds like incredibly bad, fragile system design. But then again what else is new? This is fucking microsoft we're talking about, there's so much of incredibly bad awful design smattered all over windows as a whole - the registry as an entirety, much of win32 api and so on is just either pure bullshit or inconsistently designed and implemented or both.
I don't want to go to a comedy show with you

My guess is that your registry file is corrupt and it contains the incorrect location and/or is resolving to the incorrect location, hence referring a non-existent file location, or that you some kind of malware that is using that location.
Try creating a new user account (which will create a new user registry) and see if you can access it from there. That will at least potentially give some clues as to where the problem is.

As I stated in my post above yours I fixed it by copying the administrative tools folder back to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
no registry corruption, no malware
Note to self : Take no notice of buddha :D :D :D

Another retarded thing about windows
under win7 my folder layout was like so
multimedia
--- audio
------------ Blue Ripple Sound
------------ creative
--- dvd burning
--- graphics
--- video
See screen shots
Od7Deh4.jpg

9TG0GvN.jpg

FCiK7U3.jpg

When I upgraded to windows 10 it decided to delete all the sub folders under multimedia and move the shortcuts from the sub folders to multimedia
like so
n6jWUMb.jpg

So windows 10 startmenu cannot have sub folders. Where's the logic to that.....

Just created a page of work in OneNote on my SP4 which is a nice fit for an A4 page. Went to print it and there are no scaling options and the document is split over 4 pages. Install my print driver and instead of the printer's settings including page setup as you'd get in Word or...every other application ever that prints, I get a stupid subset with no scaling option.

Is this a Windows 10 thing? Or a OneNote thing (at which point why the hell isn't MS using their own Windows interface?)?

Very annoyed. Technology is increasingly appearing to have 'jumped the shark'. Idiotic iThing choices. Clumsy, crappy console media capabilities (PS4 vs PS3). Dumbed down applications that no longer function as they ought.

There clearly aren't enough good development teams, for whatever reason.

I have always believed that the web has caused a lapse back in time when it comes to usability standards. So young developers who have played around with the web primarily have a disadvantage for sure when it comes to desktop development.

I have had some discussions where designers tend to suggest not using CSS because it results in too 'samey' websites, where I then always counter that it helps users expect a consistent UI. But that consistency is extremely basic - we used to have consistent application menu and toolbars, context and pop up menus, dialogs and status bars, copy paste and drag drop behavior and so on, but on the web it's chaos.

There are certainly areas where advances in UI design are good, and the language of touch is a great addition that is stabilizing, but it has been at the cost of the desktop experience and Microsoft has done pretty badly at providing good guidelines or even foreseeing that they were necessary.

I like a lot of what is happening with UWP UI controls, but here too there may just be too much freedom right now.

Downloaded OneNote to the Windows 7 desktop and it used the proper printer driver settings. So is this a Surface Pro 4 thing (shouldn't be as it's just a PC) or a Windows 10 thing?

Actually, when I search I get both a Windows Store App for OneNote and OneNote 2016 as part of my Office installation. Which one are you using on the Surface?

The Windows App Store one has a really crappy print dialog and is clearly an (early!) UWP app. The other one is completely different in all respects (wants me to log into my 365 account etc.) and I bet it has the normal print dialog.

So the developer guide suggests there is no default scaling option provided by UWP (yet). Your App is supposed to layout suitably according to the user selections - an event to layout the print pages will be fired and you can have at it. If you want scaling in there, you'll have to add a slider yourself and use it in your layouting (doesn't actually seem that difficult). I'm getting the impression though that perhaps in this OneNote version the layout event does not fire or is not picked up when all defaults are kept. When I choose landscape, formatting seems to keep stuff on a page mostly properly (i.e. nothing runs onto another page).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/devices-sensors/print-from-your-app.

The print example seems to be updated for the August release, but I hadn't updated my SDK yet so waiting for that now to see if anything changed there (probably not).

Yesterday I had a quick look and noticed that there were no real changes. But the image print example does feature scaling. Except, for me it seemed broken insofar as I didn't seem able to make the image stretch to the page. Perhaps a hard dpi limit linked to the image resolution, didn't have time to dive deep.

Also, I think we should probably have mandatory support for sending the print results directly to a printer manufacturers app? This is how printing works on iOS now and it works great in my experience.

Last edited:
AFAIK that's how Windows worked! Printing meant going through the device driver and its own interface. Where's the sense in not doing this? Why change a system that has worked so well and everyone's used to?

Shouldn't matter though - Windows 10 isn't a mobile only OS. My SP4 is a PC, running the Windows desktop, with mouse and KB should I choose. Why stop me being able to use it as such?!

Obviously not, as you are able to run the full Office version of OneNote on there! There's nothing really taken away from you in that respect, but Apps being available there now too, you have just gotten some extra, causing confusion.

Has anyone else experienced Youtube (& other) videos full-screen to behind the taskbar since recent Win10 update/s?
Normally they full-screen either over the top of taskbar or only to the edge of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back