Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's super annoying that Windows 10 somehow forgets system tray icon order or even if I have customised the system tray to always show certain icons. This never happened in Windows 7 and it makes the Windows 10 experience feel unsound and flimsy.

I had the wonderful start menu not working bug last night. Had to download the fix tool for it.

Randomly breaking a feature that's been in windows for 20 odd years seems a special kind of naffness. ☺️

I feel so blessed that I've managed to go on for more than a year without major issues ... Lol. In fact I regularly discover stuff I like. For instance the option to keep relative scaling across monitors works really well now in Windows 10. I tested it with using my iPad Air 2 as a third monitor. I remain a big fan of having taskbar showing only what is on that screen. I also noticed by the way that you can even ctrl-scroll wheel to zoom the desktop icons, but that has apparently been there forever, even in Windows 7. I never knew though and it works well. 4K display I looked at in store also worked well with Windows 10 I thought.

It's super annoying that Windows 10 somehow forgets system tray icon order or even if I have customised the system tray to always show certain icons. This never happened in Windows 7 and it makes the Windows 10 experience feel unsound and flimsy.

Sorry, I giggled a little. That's so classic uncooperative computer behavior.

Has anyone else experienced Youtube (& other) videos full-screen to behind the taskbar since recent Win10 update/s?
Normally they full-screen either over the top of taskbar or only to the edge of it.

I had the same problem in linux, appeared after a software upgrade, gone after a software upgrade ; except it applied to all maximized windows and was such a pain. In fact, I had the bug everywhere *except* full screen Youtube, videos or browser/application after you hit F11.
(But there are many linux/unix desktops and this one is not one of the most major ones with more corporate funds and developers behind it)

If stuff like this happens in Windows, I'm half expecting other "classic" dickery. Could be : quit Dosbox and find yourself with a 640x480 desktop. Leave a game and keep an overbright display from the game's gamma.
Like going back to year 2002, running Windows 98 and XP SP0, less than perfect GPU drivers and some games still alt-tab unsafe.

I've only had this happen with various versions of Windows when explorer crashes and restarts. When that happens I believe the taskbar is repopulated based on PID (I could be wrong about that). However, regardless, after an explorer crash Windows has no way of knowing in what order the programs were launched before the crash.

It's typically pretty rare, but I've had it happen quite often (1-2 times a week) since installing the GTX 1070 in this machine. Don't know why a GPU would affect it, but if it continues I'm going to swap out the graphics card and see if it that's the cause or if it's just coincidence.

Regards,
SB

I've only had this happen with various versions of Windows when explorer crashes and restarts. When that happens I believe the taskbar is repopulated based on PID (I could be wrong about that). However, regardless, after an explorer crash Windows has no way of knowing in what order the programs were launched before the crash.

It's typically pretty rare, but I've had it happen quite often (1-2 times a week) since installing the GTX 1070 in this machine. Don't know why a GPU would affect it, but if it continues I'm going to swap out the graphics card and see if it that's the cause or if it's just coincidence.

Regards,
SB
I don't think Explorer is crashing for me when this happens. It only happens on a restart and it is periodic, that is, it happens and then weeks go by and then it happens when I log on after a restart.

Blaargh.

I don't think Explorer is crashing for me when this happens. It only happens on a restart and it is periodic, that is, it happens and then weeks go by and then it happens when I log on after a restart.

Blaargh.

Wait, do you mean your pinned apps are being shuffled? I've never had that happen to me.

Regards,
SB

Wait, do you mean your pinned apps are being shuffled? I've never had that happen to me.

Regards,
SB
No, icons in the system tray, you know by the clock in the right-hand corner. Most icons there are hidden by default so I drag the ones I want to always show and sometimes they go back to being hidden again.

It has never happened to a pinned application.

No, icons in the system tray, you know by the clock in the right-hand corner. Most icons there are hidden by default so I drag the ones I want to always show and sometimes they go back to being hidden again.

It has never happened to a pinned application.

Oh, duhr. I was thinking of the task bar and not the task tray. Strange.

Regards,
SB

I'm mostly with Arwin on this -- I've had some flavor of Windows 10 on at least one physical machine since the builds were somewhere in the 9000's. At the summary level, I've had only a small handful of problems (primarily centered around the whole-OS upgrade process) and not much else. Further, I've continued to find more things I was happy or even impressed with as I go along.

Example: my Lenovo Y460 came with the "ancient" switchable graphics -- no dynamic anything, it was instead a user-selectable function either from the right-click desktop menu or a physical spring-loaded toggle on the base. it required much pain and suffering to get it even working on previous operating systems; a very specifically sequenced and vendor-locked mixture of Intel chipset, graphics and AMD graphics drivers which could not deviate. Windows 10 upgrade replaced them all, did them right without even asking, and I magically picked up dynamic GPU switching in the process. I've never expected an OS to get that much right on the first try.

I've got five PCs in the house running Win10, from a Dell Mini 10v (Atom N270 and 2gb memory) to my wife's Surface Original and my 3930k (4.5GHz, 32Gb RAM, 1TB Sammy 850 EVO, 980Ti) gaming rig. They've had damn near no issues at all, ignoring the Surface losing wireless (because it's done that forever) and my 3930k rig having a hard time upgrading (due to wierdo Intel DX79Si storage controller.) How do you guys break so much shit on yours? :p

How do you guys break so much shit on yours? :p
For me, it's most infuriating because I'm using MS's own software. Surely when it comes to testing they've a few SP's that they run things on? So how can things break so readily? That just shows the OS has 'issues' somewhere to my mind. Clean install on a fixed hardware platform and it can't operate properly. I'll try the Reset option which reinstalls the OS.

To be fair, other OSes have issues on Os provider hardware, like Nexus Whatever can have per-user issues. It's just an issue of the modern OS I guess.

I think the biggest challenge for Microsoft comes from transitioning to an OS as a service. New features and even more fundamental reworkings of the OS can just be patched in during a regular update. Add to that supporting both Apps and native Windows applications, cloud functionality, transition to high res displays, etc. while still remaining backward compatible with over a decade old software it is kind of a lot to manage. I personally wonder that they are doing as well as they are, but there is still a lot of work to do and you can see customer satisfaction is taking its toll here and there.

For me, it's most infuriating because I'm using MS's own software. Surely when it comes to testing they've a few SP's that they run things on? So how can things break so readily? That just shows the OS has 'issues' somewhere to my mind. Clean install on a fixed hardware platform and it can't operate properly. I'll try the Reset option which reinstalls the OS.

To be fair, other OSes have issues on Os provider hardware, like Nexus Whatever can have per-user issues. It's just an issue of the modern OS I guess.

the weird thing is that MS is rather slow in updating the driver and firmwares and bios for Surface.

my Vaio Tap 11 is long discontiuned by Sony. Sony also already sold their VAIO business to other company. But they quickly release new bioses when Windows 10 hits. I think it was one before Windows 10 release, and 3 after windows 10 released. With the final bios in april 2016.

as far as i remembered, each bios revision fix sleep/wakeup/turnof/poweron problem again and again. Luckily i never got the sleep/wakeup/turnof/poweron problem.

so i guess its not just Microsoft with Surface x Windows 10 that got problem with sleep/wakeup/turnof/poweron.

LoL, I think I just ran into one of the most unique bugs I've ever seen.

In Edge right now I'm typing in searches in one tab. And nothing is happening. Then I noticed a different tab is getting the circle loading icon. Turns out the searches are being performed in another tab at the moment. W.T.F.

Oh well, almost done with the 150 browse and earn points for the month so I can stop using Edge for the rest of the month soon, except for the random daily bonus points.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back