Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was asked to look at W10 PC as @ and " signs were swapped (typical US layout on UK keyboard problem). Well, to my surprise, language panel was showing UK keyboard layout as the only installed and all the locality settings were set to UK, yet Windows was saying English UK language pack was missing??? After downloading and installing it, computer rebooted and greeted me with the same problem when typing and previously not present language selection taskbar icon listing US and Russian keyboard layouts!! Preferences were showing UK and US and removing US keyboard had no affect on the real keyboard layout being used.
I decided to SFC that PC and left it till tomorrow.
Funny Microsoft forcing people to buy US keyboards :p

Anniversary update seems to have rather messed with my HTPC. Kodi now starts up in 1080i mode and has to be switched manually to 1080p. It overscans in Kodi irrespective of my desktop overscan settings in AMD console. And exiting Kodi now gives me a black screen that I can only see anything if I ctl-alt-del and sign out.

Today I was asked to look at W10 PC as @ and " signs were swapped (typical US layout on UK keyboard problem). Well, to my surprise, language panel was showing UK keyboard layout as the only installed and all the locality settings were set to UK, yet Windows was saying English UK language pack was missing??? After downloading and installing it, computer rebooted and greeted me with the same problem when typing and previously not present language selection taskbar icon listing US and Russian keyboard layouts!! Preferences were showing UK and US and removing US keyboard had no affect on the real keyboard layout being used.
I decided to SFC that PC and left it till tomorrow.
Funny Microsoft forcing people to buy US keyboards :p
I had a problem with Windows 10 not managing to download language packs if the wifi was setup as a metered connection.

I had a problem with Windows 10 not managing to download language packs if the wifi was setup as a metered connection.
Well, this one has downloaded and installed language pack just fine but still didn't work. SFC fixed issue as after scan I could finally set UK layout and it worked.

wow the latest win 10 update actually highlights the active windows titles bar in a different color, like back in windows 3.1 and for years until they brainlessly removed it.
Also My phone charges much quicker now ~3x it seems like, when plugged into the PC's USB type-c port

I assume so, theres been a lot of updates to windows 10 recently, a lot of visible stuff and this I assume was an under the hood change.
I like the new menu, slowly improving over time
newmenu.jpg

Great so whatever update I received yesterday broke the scheduled task I had set to boot my VM that acts as a DDNS/VPN server. A quick fix but one that required me to go back home.

Anyway other than that W10 has been OK for me. I'm only using it on my htpc though so most of the stuff I can manage from a web browser.

Windows 10 is so buggy. My mom's often calls me with problems on her laptop.

Blank screen frozen slowness etc.

It was mostly fine ages ago when it was Windows 8.1

Are you sure the problem is from Win10 and not your cat?
Anyway, the laptop in our house is running fine with Win10. Haven't updated it with the latest cumulative update tho. Experience so far have been smooth on laptop since I don't really change anything and it is mostly using default settings. But on desktop where I do tinker with the setting (and the fact that a lot of devices attached to it), it is not as smooth as I would like it to be. If there is a big update, somehow the update managed to break something (like my usb3 hub, my printer setting, my folder sharing, etc).

Yeah, I had that Windows Modules Installer and Windows Modules Installer Worker thing too.

In other news, new Cumulative Update & clicking the details link got me to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history
Which has like lists of stuff they have been fixing :oops:
What is this patch note wizadry MS?

Hmmm? That should only be showing updates that have been released as well as a link to get the Anniversary Edition update.

Nothing new there that didn't exist in previous version of Windows. Except back then to get the same information you had to go to each individual Knowledge Base article about each individual update. This new page is much easier to navigate to know what each update contains than how things were handled in previous versions of Windows.

Regards,
SB

The UI is smooth, it just that when MS roll out a big update they managed to broke something in the process. The latest update managed to make a program that I use to switch playback device (sound) working in a delayed manner. Like when I switch playback from speaker to HDMI from the program (which live in notification tray), it had a delay for a few second before switching when previously it had no delay. I still need to check whether the switching itself was delayed or only the (windows) notification that was delayed. This kind of thing shouldn't happen. An update should make things better. To be fair, the update is probably fixing a lot of stuff but unfortunately it also managed to broke some stuff without any warning.

Some wishful thinking I wish can help : everything is breaking left and right, some is just software issues but a large part is from driver upgrades, with a lot of regressions or new bugs. Eventually the drivers will settle down some, meaning they will be more about minor bugfixes and maintenance updates and less about breakage and the "I have no idea what I'm doing" dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back