Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@milk ironically, they already did thst rather properly in windows 8.1 and completely botched it's interactivity and looks in w10. Q10 au still not as good as 8.1 for touch device that metro design language able to support various kinds of interaction in easy to use way

Pardon my English

Ugh, I really have to wonder about Microsoft sometimes.

I finally decided to give Edge a try again to see if it could be more useful as a daily driver.

The first thing I did, which I use a lot, is attempt to drag and drop links between Edge browser windows. Nope. WTF? Honestly, I can't understand how it is they could have messed up Edge to this degree.

Yes it's fast. But it's virtually unusable. It's like after IE 9, all their browser developers went and got a lobotomy. First they reduced functionality in trying to be more like Chrome, bleh. Then they finally decided to focus on speed, but decided they wanted the browser to be even dumber than Chrome. I didn't think that was possible, but congratulations Microsoft, you made a browser that's even more useless than Chrome.

Yes it has some very nice features like the recently implemented pinned tabs or being able to make notes on web pages or reading view, however, none of that matters if your browser lacks in the most basic usability features that are required to get any real work done. Ugh.

All you had to do was take IE 9, and make it fast (keep the UI and features, implement a new engine). Blam, perfect browser. But no, instead you tried to copy the competition by making a far worse implementation.

Also, who the F thought it'd be a good idea that when opening a page in a new window that it should default to full screen and when dragged out of full screen, instead of inheriting the window size of your current browser windows, it should instead go back to the default very TINY freaking window? Who in the world would have thought that was a good idea? So anytime I would want to open a link in a new window instead of a new tab (which works as expected inheriting the parent window properties when dragged out to it's own window) I have to un-maximize and then resize the fakkin window? No thanks. This browser is just so full of fail.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
The tab-drag behavior is consistent with Windows UX "rules" and I can demonstrate it easily: take an existing maximized application (notepad) and drag the title bar away from the top of the screen. In doing so, the application switches from maximized to a smaller window. If you pull a windowed application and drag it to the top of the screen, the application switches to maximized view.

If you take a maximized Edge application and drag a single tab out of the top of the browser session, it converts to a smaller window. So, now do this: grab your tab, pull it down away from the rest of the tabs (it shows up as a window now) and WITHOUT LETTING GO OF THE MOUSE push it back to the top of the screen. Tada, it will maximize. This is how Windows UX defines the behavior, so in this way it is consistent. Also for new windows, inheriting the parent size is an obvious point because this still follows the WIndows UX convention.

The tab-drag behavior is consistent with Windows UX "rules" and I can demonstrate it easily: take an existing maximized application (notepad) and drag the title bar away from the top of the screen. In doing so, the application switches from maximized to a smaller window. If you pull a windowed application and drag it to the top of the screen, the application switches to maximized view.

Yes this behavior (as I noted) is consistent with what I expect.

If you take a maximized Edge application and drag a single tab out of the top of the browser session, it converts to a smaller window. So, now do this: grab your tab, pull it down away from the rest of the tabs (it shows up as a window now) and WITHOUT LETTING GO OF THE MOUSE push it back to the top of the screen. Tada, it will maximize. This is how Windows UX defines the behavior, so in this way it is consistent. Also for new windows, inheriting the parent size is an obvious point because this still follows the WIndows UX convention.

This behavior is retarded (IMO) and inconsistent with other browsers. If I'd wanted my browser maximized it would have been maximized in the first place. But I can get past that easily if all it did was maximize the window when opening a link in a new window. It's easily enough to drag I tout of maximized view. What is completely retarded, IMO, is that when you do that instead of inheriting the window of the parent window, it instead goes to a default size that is ridiculously small, especially if you have a large display

And you know what's even more retarded? Now that I go back to test it again, it's operating like how I expect it to. Opening a link in a new window is now opening it in a new window that is not maximized and inherits the parent windows dimensions.

At this point I don't even know what to say. Not only was the previous behavior counterintuitive, now it also appears to be inconsistent. I don't know what changed as I didn't do anything differently from the other times I've used the browser in the past few weeks. And this is the first time in all that time that it has decided to operate in this fashion. I'm left to wonder if it'll just randomly decide to go back to that previous behavior.

Oh nevermind. And I just tested again. And it has already reverted back to the previous maximized windows -> ridiculously small window. And what is even worse, it's exhibiting the other behavior I was testing. After doing all of this. Whenever I now drag a tab out of a window it defaults to that ridiculously small window.

So if I want to have tabs that are dragged to inherit the parent window, I have to first resize the undersized windows to the size of the parent window and close it. Only now, it appears even that isn't working. OMG, this is now to the point where it is infuriating me.

I can't get edge to even do the tab drag behavior as I expect, right now. All dragged tabs are now the insufferably small window. AAAAAUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. Edge is just a piece of feces at this point.

Regards,
SB

Also, who the F thought it'd be a good idea that when opening a page in a new window that it should default to full screen and when dragged out of full screen, instead of inheriting the window size of your current browser windows, it should instead go back to the default very TINY freaking window?
They do these things on purpose to shit on you for not liking it the way they designed the damn thing to begin with. It's like the start screen - most people hated it, so when they went back to start menu again in W10, they did it by cropping the useless start screen into an even more useless start menu.

I'm thinking it'd been better if they'd just kept Ballmer, I dunno. Then again, he was the monkey-boy who gave us Win8 in the first place... *shrug*

Can someone who upgraded from win 7
type control panel into the start menu
run it then click on administrative tools
I get this (all the other icons work)
g0zpU1C.jpg

I think I clean installed. But perhaps this helps. The location is now logical in Windows 10. So the path to this file is:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools

If you put that into file explorer's address bar, you should get to the Administrative Tools no problem.

Perhaps in the registry you can find the old path and then replace it with this.

The modern way to do it:

Press Windows button
type admin
Open Administrative Tools

edit: Opening admin tools from Control Panel works fine for me though as well

Last edited:
I'm not doing anything wrong as you can see from the screen shots
I type admin
click on administrative tools
and I get search results for admin with no results

I'm not doing anything wrong as you can see from the screen shots
I type admin
click on administrative tools
and I get search results for admin with no results
Tried on a few workstations at home, both Home and Pro versions and all seem to be fine. Something broken in your install somehow I guess.

but you can launch it from cmd.exe with this command: control.exe admintools
I get the same error message.
why when typing that is it telling me the file start menu\programs\administrative tools is not available
the only thing I can think of is I deleted the administrative tools shortcut (when trying to tidy up/remove crap/organise it how I like it) from the start menu

could someone open c:\programdata \microsoft\windows\start menu\programs
find administrative tools folder put it in a zip and email it to me davros-at-utgames.com (replace -at- with @)
thanks

Edit: found the start menu location where i had moved administrative tools to and copied it to \start menu\programs and everything works as it should now.

Isnt it stupid that the administrative tools folder only exists in the start menu and its not a shortcut to a folder in system32 or syswow64 ect while all the shortcuts in the administrative tools folder point to files resident in system32

Last edited by a moderator:
Davros, you sound like every owner of a car they modified themselves and now it don't work right. :D

Moving a shortcut in the start menu hardly amounts to modifying your car though. To me, this sounds like incredibly bad, fragile system design. But then again what else is new? This is fucking microsoft we're talking about, there's so much of incredibly bad awful design smattered all over windows as a whole - the registry as an entirety, much of win32 api and so on is just either pure bullshit or inconsistently designed and implemented or both.

I get the same error message.
why when typing that is it telling me the file start menu\programs\administrative tools is not available
the only thing I can think of is I deleted the administrative tools shortcut (when trying to tidy up/remove crap/organise it how I like it) from the start menu

could someone open c:\programdata \microsoft\windows\start menu\programs
find administrative tools folder put it in a zip and email it to me davros-at-utgames.com (replace -at- with @)
thanks

Edit: found the start menu location where i had moved administrative tools to and copied it to \start menu\programs and everything works as it should now.

Isnt it stupid that the administrative tools folder only exists in the start menu and its not a shortcut to a folder in system32 or syswow64 ect while all the shortcuts in the administrative tools folder point to files resident in system32

There is no folder for it on Windows 10 at that location. At least not on my install. That doesn't appear to be the correct location from which to open it.

The correct location should be

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Administrative Tools

But comes up as the following when copy and pasted from the Windows explorer window.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

You can try manually navigating to the first location through Windows Explorer.

My guess is that your registry file is corrupt and it contains the incorrect location and/or is resolving to the incorrect location, hence referring a non-existent file location, or that you some kind of malware that is using that location.

Try creating a new user account (which will create a new user registry) and see if you can access it from there. That will at least potentially give some clues as to where the problem is.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back