Where did JVD go?

I got the impression he withdrew from the RPSC section due to "irreconcilable differences" with certain individuals (some of whom also don't post here much any more). I didn't know he'd stopped posting here altogether. He was an interesting combination -- sort of like a can of petrol and a cigarette lighter :) Still, he obviously had some life experiences shared by only a few here, so I kind of respected his input, regardless of his "unique" style.

ShootMyMonkey said:
I would think more so because there's a veil of anonymity there which isn't the case when speaking person-to-person. Since people can hide behind that veil, they'd feel a little more free to let go of their restrictions and be all the more obnoxious.

Yes, couldn't agree more ! I know a few gorgeous women (models, video jockeys, young air stewardesses) on various fora and chatrooms. The net gives them opportunities to be themselves and to evaluate other guys without showing their look first. Two of them got married to some lucky guys they met online eventually.

Over here, we just need more Xbox360 developers and loose-lips Sony developers :p
The mods are doing a great job.

Patsu you know these gorgeous women from real life, or what? Because not that I'm saying it's not true, but people acting as gorgeous women (complete with fake pics) would be the very definition in my mind of the games some people play on the net.

xbdestroya said:
Patsu you know these gorgeous women from real life, or what? Because not that I'm saying it's not true, but people acting as gorgeous women (complete with fake pics) would be the very definition in my mind of the games some people play on the net.

Yeah, but you'd think the truth probably would have come out at the marriage ceremony. :LOL:

Yes, we had group activities in cafes and pubs a couple of times. Some of our mods obviously asked them out separately too. I would always tried to find out from the girls how it went. The guys always boasted about their dates the next day.

I remember one of the ladies flew from Hong Kong to join us occassionally (That 25 year old owned a cell phone retail outlet back then, that's why she could chat in our room during office hour :) ). I wanted to say "I hate you !" but I couldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
IIRC, Silence asked for his account to be deleted after Dave decided he had manipulated his way to high rep and dumped his rep down into the red.
Yeah, he stomped off (and may, or may not have been banned too for bad behavior on top of that) in a huge huff after he got like -2000 rep points (TWO infamous red boxes as I recall).

L-B was given the same treatment, but as we can see, you can't keep a virile italian down. :D

Guden Oden said:
Yeah, he stomped off (and may, or may not have been banned too for bad behavior on top of that) in a huge huff after he got like -2000 rep points (TWO infamous red boxes as I recall).

L-B was given the same treatment, but as we can see, you can't keep a virile italian down. :D

Well, actually, he got knocked down to -200, but from where he was that was probably, oh -700 or so?

L-B was much more effective in how he handled it. He just looked really sad, with a single tear rolling down his cheek at the injustice of it all from time to time.

xbdestroya said:
Patsu what the hell forum is/was this! :p

Sounds risque. ;)

During the dotcom boom circa 1996 - 2000. It's all gone now. I'm married and moved in 1999, so I didn't care about keeping in touch with those folks (Actually, wife was mad that I stayed up until 2:00am chatting. Err... working !). But they are out there somewhere.

EDIT: http://www.coolconnect.com. They had a video conference with some pop star on 2 huge, side-by-side panels for the launch too. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
geo said:
L-B was much more effective in how he handled it. He just looked really sad, with a single tear rolling down his cheek ... et cetera.

D*mn. The old TV soaps I watched... usually it means that person has been raped. Poor l-b. Give him back his points ! :D

patsu said:
D*mn. The old TV soaps I watched... usually it means that person has been raped. Poor l-b. Give him back his points ! :D

I have to admit, I gave him rep out of pity. :devilish:

Man, it's crazy. It's been 5, maybe 6 years that I've been reading this forum. I wonder if Rev still reads here. He was also in his own way a rather flamboyant poster. I see a lot of younger members being mentioned for mod status, and it just makes me old. :???: I remember the old AA articles and how amazingly insightful I found them years ago. It's just... wierd I guess. I'm only 25, but already I feel kind of outdated. Kind of like a relic of the past.

Nite_Hawk

mcsven said:
...and silence who used to use massive... amounts... of... dots... in... his... posts... which used to drive me nuts.

At least his posts would compress well with huffman coding :)

Nite_Hawk said:
I'm only 25, but already I feel kind of outdated. Kind of like a relic of the past.

Nite_Hawk

If it makes you feel any better, some of the new members (of which I am one in the context of your post) have it worse than you in the age department. :)

xbdestroya said:
If it makes you feel any better, some of the new members (of which I am one in the context of your post) have it worse than you in the age department. :)

Well, I suppose it doesn't really matter how old you are, it's just wierd. Time goes by, things change, and you look back at the road you took and wonder if it was the right one. I'm working with supercomputer queuing systems now which is much better than what I was doing 6 months ago, but it's not the 3D graphics industry. On the other hand, I know people in the industry that have burnt out because it's not what they were hoping. It's all rather bittersweet. I hope jvd, reverend, silence, and the others are all doing well.

Nite_Hawk

...anyway, yeah I think the console forum's doing well right now. If a member was to undergo an apotheosis, there are a couple I would be ok with. But I think what you always want is a mod who may be partisan... rather than a partisan who is also a mod. There's an important distinction there, and I think if staff positions were handed out with fanboi 'representation' in mind, not only would it not help to prevent it, it would essentially be condoning/institutionalizing it.

Yeah you say that but THEYRE ALL SONY MODS! If there's no caring about console affiliation, why are they all Sony mods! Why do I get the feeling so will the next one be!

It's like a politician saying he doesn't think deciding things on race is a good idea, but he has 100 people in his cabinet and they're all white. Then somebody says he should put some minorities in, he responds with, oh that would be terrible to decide things on the basis of race!

Hell you just attacked the entire American system of affirmative action Xbdestroya (which is fine by me btw :D )

Meh, I dont think the console mods are 100% unbiased, but they're not bad, I agree with you about that. It's just a few minor things that distress me.

All I'm saying is if the mods happened to be Acert, Scooby, and Powerkeg, I bet you'd think different (although I suspect you'll claim you dont care either way, I'm not so sure I'll believe you seeing we haven't tested it!).

sonyps35 said:

I'm old and crotchety and don't really want listen to your rant. It's disrupting my sense of nostalgia. You should post it in the console forum or something.

Nite_Hawk

Back