I gave up on the Resident Evil series...

The mechanics of the old resident evil games were a curse and a blessing.

Survival Horror was literally embodied within them. Finite supplies meant you had to manage them to ensure your survival. You couldn't go guns blazing. Healing was scarce. That made zombies even more threatening. Limited saves meant in game death had consequences and simulated death perfectly. Auto and infinite Checkpoints just remove the consequences of dying. It's like having infinite lives and you are more sloppy. The fact that you couldn't carry too many objects also added to the tention, forcing you to think whether you should carry less ammo or more puzzle items. That had potential consequences.

All that made you even more careful not to die. Especially during the first playthrough when you didn't know if a new thread or unexpected monstrosity would appear out of nowhere and you wish you had that extra first aid or ammo handy.

That's what made Resident Evil even more scary. Imagine the game with autocheckpoints and infinite ammo. It would have been zero scary and it would have barely made the impact it made.

These elements were a feature both for the gameplay and for the atmosphere.

But of course by old standards these gameplay mechanics were brilliant and very well thought.

Unfortunately they didn't age well. Playing the old games today give the impression of bad game design.

Or so we thought.

Resident Evil Remake 2 managed to bring back those elements splendidly and made it work.

The caveat is that people (including me) got too spoiled with accessibility. Modern games are designed to frustrate you less, whereas for true Survival Games this is a gameplay feature. Pretty much like souls games. Also since we are bombarded more than ever with garbage and over-information that want to steal our attention we lack the focus or the time we used to put in games.

Therefore survival games are struggling between the survival gameplay feature and how to be accessible to as many people as possible.

Which is why Capcom at some point started losing completely the survival element and overdid it with the action (starting with 4), up to the point where we got the bullshit of Resi 6

The mechanics of the old resident evil games were a curse and a blessing.

Survival Horror was literally embodied within them. Finite supplies meant you had to manage them to ensure your survival. You couldn't go guns blazing. Healing was scarce. That made zombies even more threatening. Limited saves meant in game death had consequences and simulated death perfectly. Auto and infinite Checkpoints just remove the consequences of dying. It's like having infinite lives and you are more sloppy. The fact that you couldn't carry too many objects also added to the tention, forcing you to think whether you should carry less ammo or more puzzle items. That had potential consequences.

All that made you even more careful not to die. Especially during the first playthrough when you didn't know if a new thread or unexpected monstrosity would appear out of nowhere and you wish you had that extra first aid or ammo handy.

That's what made Resident Evil even more scary. Imagine the game with autocheckpoints and infinite ammo. It would have been zero scary and it would have barely made the impact it made.

These elements were a feature both for the gameplay and for the atmosphere.

But of course by old standards these gameplay mechanics were brilliant and very well thought.

Unfortunately they didn't age well. Playing the old games today give the impression of bad game design.

Or so we thought.

Resident Evil Remake 2 managed to bring back those elements splendidly and made it work.

The caveat is that people (including me) got too spoiled with accessibility. Modern games are designed to frustrate you less, whereas for true Survival Games this is a gameplay feature. Pretty much like souls games. Also since we are bombarded more than ever with garbage and over-information that want to steal our attention we lack the focus or the time we used to put in games.

Therefore survival games are struggling between the survival gameplay feature and how to be accessible to as many people as possible.

Which is why Capcom at some point started losing completely the survival element and overdid it with the action (starting with 4), up to the point where we got the bullshit of Resi 6

Yeah, its a balancing act. I played RE3 remake on normal (I almost finished it but gave up on the final boss), and my favorite part were
at the police station when you face a bunch of at once at zombies but dont have enough ammo to take them all out. I used a flashbang and run past them.
There were also parts where you´de have to think if it was worth using ammo to take out some of the enemies or try to run past them. I like how it added tension. What I dont like is how using a grenade at one point in the game can make a later part almost impossible
(like the hospital with the hunters)

Checkpoints is something that could be enabled in options, same with ink ribbons.

Anyone can make something out of nothing, or anyone can also be offended by anything. Your examples are of people making political issues out of things they don't like in games.. All sorts of people get killed in games... Was it racism because you play as a white man killing African people in Resident Evil 5? Is that what we should be discussing here instead of the game? You can find racism in anything if you look hard enough. Again, you're MAKING things political by looking at it that way.

There's a BIG difference between a game having actual political elements to it... and games where people just try to make it all about politics...

Example: You can talk about Joel and Ellie in TLOU.. you can talk about their adventure, the things you do in the game.. characters you meet, fights you have and so on.... But when your discussion is bitching about "Oh they made Ellie a lesbian because LGBTQ+ and Sweet baby Inc", or "As if Ellie could take on 3 full grown men at the same time.. but you know feminism" and stuff like that... then it doesn't need to be discussed here because it ONLY invites arguments.

And these posts of ours are EXACTLY the reason why this stuff doesn't need to be discussed here... because it completely derails topics and just causes arguments. This will be the last post I make about it.
You ask for examples , then ignore most of them. IF they make changes to the game for political reasons then the game is affected by politics and can be spoken about it.

Just like the stellar blade bait and switch where they advertise risqué outfits but then bowed to political and activist groups to change the content of the game .

We are already seeing sweeping changes due to things like that and sweet baby in. Lots of companies int he media are firing their dei teams and many game publishers are backing away from their involvement with activist groups.

They are the ones who introduced politics into video games. it doesn't matter if its sexy outfits, racial make up the characters or blood in video games turning green or even conquering the west as general custer using only his penis. Anytime a game is forced to change or forced off the market because of political pressure makes the politics part of the game.

IF you don't want to partake then just stop talking about it and responding.

none of these games were every horror. They were goofy and funny at least to me as a teenager playing the originals. Now Fear was scary , phantasmagoria was scary and system shock to me were horror games
Most people will disagree with you about the first games

One of the best recent horror games I played was The Evil Within 2. Just to describe it, the style was very RE4 and 5-ish, but with vibes of the Silent Hill series.

That part where the Keeper keeps returning as you are turning valves or whatever, was really nippy. Ha-ha. The story on the other hand, while enjoyable enough, did not make a lot of immediate sense.

You had to be really quick at getting out of that dungeon. That section was annoying. But all in all, I was not disappointed in the game during 2017. And both of The Last of Us games were hugely intriguing, which is why I cannot understand why Naughty Dog chose to cancel the online multiplayer title they worked on, that was reportedly expensive.

As for Resident Evil in general...

Yes, it's a big franchise. One Capcom sometimes mistreats. But I do hope it will pick up, and it should. RE9 is in development with RE7's project manager. It has therefore giving me faith that it will be an improvement over RE8, which has a reputation for having a vastly ridiculous storyline.

Back