Where did JVD go?

I agree with mcsven about his thoughts about Vince; it happened quite often he had intelligent, educated things to say, except he said it in such an arrogant and hostile manner there was little or no chance of having a serious debate on the subject with him. :)

I wouldn't exactly say I ever KNEW deadmeat, pc-engine, chap/chapman/chaphack/pahcman/etc, but they were definitely colorful people! Heh... Deadmeat. Oh man, those were the days. Almost makes me nostalgic!

Almost. ;)

mcsven said:
I miss Vince, he used to make me laugh with the extremity of his rhetoric whilst at the same time sometimes having some good points. He was a little microcosm of the angry right.
Lol, he was great. Any one know what other forum he might hang out over at?

epic

Since we are reminiscing, I miss the "old" days when Vince, Dave, demalion, DemoCoder and Russ would argue endlessly. Of course you always need a squirt of WD40 on the scroll wheel when demalion posted.

You can always look on the PSINext forums. He's going through his song and dance on a lot of threads there. He especially seems to enjoy going on tirades about cost and assuming there's a definitive point where all the money goes so he can place blame.

nelg said:
Since we are reminiscing, I miss the "old" days when Vince, Dave, demalion, DemoCoder and Russ would argue endlessly. Of course you always need a squirt of WD40 on the scroll wheel when demalion posted.
I have to admit to enjoying a good old fashioned 'senior member' fight too. You missed Joe and John off your list. Those two could go on for pages saying how this would be their last post. :smile:

ShootMyMonkey said:
You can always look on the PSINext forums. He's going through his song and dance on a lot of threads there. He especially seems to enjoy going on tirades about cost and assuming there's a definitive point where all the money goes so he can place blame.

I don't know how people can argue so bloody much and so intensely on the internet, with people they don't really know or care about... And usually about opinions which are so utterly useless in everyday life, that their life must be so empty of events or real people to actually talk to... I just find it a bit sad.

geo said:
Are we going for a "banned members we have known" thread now? ;) I got to play with radar1200gs over at AnandTech a little while ago. . . (gstanfor over there).

Ahh, yes... I too had a brief sparring session with gstandord at Anandtech just last week...

london-boy said:
I don't know how people can argue so bloody much and so intensely on the internet, with people they don't really know or care about... And usually about opinions which are so utterly useless in everyday life, that their life must be so empty of events or real people to actually talk to... I just find it a bit sad.
Sadder than 17,571 posts?
;) JK!

london-boy said:
I find posting in a discussion with intelligent people an excellent way to formulate my own view on the subject in question. It forces you to examine what you actually think and come to some view. I only really post here, I don't post that much and I'm one of the add-nothing 'non-core' posters - but I enjoy the debate thoroughly when I do get involved. I may not agree with Russ or Joe or DC but at least you know they'll provide a reasoned argument rather than an emotive one - and that's quite rare I find.

mcsven said:
I have to admit to enjoying a good old fashioned 'senior member' fight too. You missed Joe and John off your list. Those two could go on for pages saying how this would be their last post. :smile:
LOL, yeah. I always thought those 2 should just get a room and ...... :devilish:

epic

People are just as personal on the Internet as they are in real life.

london-boy said:

PS: I'm mentally retarded.

People are just as personal on the Internet as they are in real life.
I would think more so because there's a veil of anonymity there which isn't the case when speaking person-to-person. Since people can hide behind that veil, they'd feel a little more free to let go of their restrictions and be all the more obnoxious.

When jvd and I both modded the console forum there would often be talks about Sony fans on the forum and how there are so many and the attitudes. But I just kept telling him that because Sony has the majority of the share there will naturally be more people who prefer Sony. I just didn't understand, his bias showed through and through so much. It came to a point where it was hard to mod because he would go off and do some random thing that made little sense, and threads would later get reopened.

To the defense, the state of the console forum was really bad at the time. It is now much better and at least a civil place to discuss things, to an extent. The level of intelligent and useful discussion now is much higher than it was during that time.

I never read the console forum(s) so I never saw Joe's (JVD) behavior there, but outside of B3D he always seemed like an extremely nice person. I played EverQuest 2 with him a bit early last year and he was always eager to drop whatever he was doing and help me with quests or killing certain mobs. He still e-mails me on occasion, though I haven't heard from him lately.

Well, you know, when the incumbent is on the way out, it's not unknown to sign a few pardons on the way out the door.

Or for the new King to open the the gates on a few doors in the Tower. :LOL:

This is not a prediction, btw; just a note of the historical tendency of long and honored pedigree in these matters.

Maybe we should suggest a clemency panel to review applicants (if they are still interested, and willing to give parole, of course).

I believe Scooby Dooby needs to be made a console mod.

All the mods there are pro-Sony to one degree or another.

Scooby is both mature (unlike JVD seemed to be) and pro-Xbox.

Just a suggestion. Perhaps better served in email but here goes anyway.

I like Scooby Dooby (I do), but I mean what does being a mod have to do with liking one console or another? It's not like mods delete threads, ban members, or anything else based on their hardware preferences... or at least, it shouldn't be.

This isn't the Supreme Court here. ;)

I think the console forum is 'under control' right now, and think Vysez is doing a good job of it. The difference between things today and things a year ago are night and day.

Back