What happened to Ratchet & Clank PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah James stevenson confirmed all the screens are in-game and not bullshots. I'll be looking forward to the videos 1up is supposed to be putting up with the mag ships to retail. :)

They are still bullshots.

Just like EPIC stated they dont do bullshots, somehow the gears of war ingame pictures had way more AA than the final game.

A good rule is that if you cant spot aliasing in a picture of a console game, its a bullshot.

They are still bullshots.

Just like EPIC stated they dont do bullshots, somehow the gears of war ingame pictures had way more AA than the final game.

A good rule is that if you cant spot aliasing in a picture of a console game, its a bullshot.

Resistance: FOM? Warhawk?

Both have 4xAA i beleive.

Magazine prints are invariably 'antialiased' because they are rendered at 300 DPI which produces great looking photos with or without AA during the rendering. I think this is to be expected. Mags aren't going to want large blocky images which look bad in print. And looking at a mag for how a game will look on screen is a bit daft as it's a totally different medium, a bit like listening to music from a tape and using that to guage how it'll sound on CD (though whether print is the CD or tape, I don't know!). Print shots are fine for looking at modelling, detail, artistry, etc., but for IQ you need to see screen captures on screen. And those one's shouldn't be AA'd beyond the engine's abilities, but invariably are. This might be a case of engines rendering at print resolutions and then downsampling to 75 dpi, getting 16x SSAA. As such, perhaps Epic didn't 'do bullshots' but likewise released non-representative material - rendering the engine exactly as in game with no extra AA or post-processing, but at 300 dpi for print and downsampling for the screenshots?

Why can't they bring back the Jack series or do a new platformer?
I have never heard of such a series. Is that Tekken android franchising? Will it turn out like Death by Degrees? :p ;)

Personally, I want to see some Sucker Punching. I loved Jak and R&C, but I think Sly took the top seat last generation in delivering depth, quality, and a unique flavor, while retaining the most of platformers' roots.

Sly got good reviews but was overshadowed in sales by R&C and J&D.

Did the cel-shading fashion end though?

Hard to make things out in small pictures, but the game appears to be loaded with detail. The grass and such really stands out as does the art. Looking good.

Then don't try to claim it as in-game shots.

Tell you what. I will consider them in game shots. I know what 4xaa looks like and I have no trouble rolling that into my imagining of the real game. Might as well, because it's damn near impossible to get a screenshot these days where the iq hasn't been tampered with in some way.

These shots are, first off, amazing. And secondly they are also what I expect out of the developer, the publisher and the hardware. So glad to see games starting to show what the these machines can really do. In the case of a mega-buck exclusive by a highly competant crew like this- I would hope to see something that head and shoulders above other efforts. This new R&C looks to be just that.

Just looks great. Very excited for the game.

Then don't try to claim it as in-game shots.
Of course they do. But AA is something you shouldn't consider when deciding if a screenshot is in-game or not, unless the developers or publishers specifically state something about it. It's something implicit I guess.

Remember where the word bullshot actually came from. Penny arcade used it to discribe the difference between the EA espn draft pick commerical and the Xbox 360 06 version of madden. The EA commerical was all CG even though EA made it seem like they could pull that off close to that. The same thing would go for any CG used to show what a game would look like. So them using a high amount of AA doesn't mean that the screens are Bullshot and just because the dev says they are in game doesn't mean they didn't use a high amount of AA.

Sly got good reviews but was overshadowed in sales by R&C and J&D.

Did the cel-shading fashion end though?
Nope. Certainly graphics-wise Jak and R&C beat it hands-down, but I'm really talking gameplay here.

The style fit the game, though.

R:FOM had a lot of AA applied so I wouldn't be surprised if R&C had the same thing.
This will probably be platformer of the year. Mario is great but Insomniac has proven they are willing to spend the big bucks on production even for less mature titles like this.

R:FOM had a lot of AA applied so I wouldn't be surprised if R&C had the same thing.
This will probably be platformer of the year. Mario is great but Insomniac has proven they are willing to spend the big bucks on production even for less mature titles like this.

I believe Insomniac is working with Sony's money.

Yeah that level of AA isn't impossible.

Nothing is really impossible....it just depends on what other sacrifices will be made. Does a dev want a bunch of characters on screen at once? That will mean something is going to suffer compared to a game that doesn't do this. Does the dev want 60fps? A lot of games could get there, but do they want to sacrifice other things they want going on?

Nothing is really impossible....it just depends on what other sacrifices will be made. Does a dev want a bunch of characters on screen at once? That will mean something is going to suffer compared to a game that doesn't do this. Does the dev want 60fps? A lot of games could get there, but do they want to sacrifice other things they want going on?

Actually, a lot of things are impossible. The level of AA we see in those screens are impossible to get at any playable framerate. Thats at least 16x AA or just downsampled screens from extreme resolution, it doesnt take a genious to figure out how many things would bottleneck you.

Tell you what. I will consider them in game shots.
Oh, i consider them in-game aswell, just brushed up like all screenshots we usually see, i just imagine the screens with more jaggies and picture the end result, however, that doesnt change the fact its not really in-game.

Of course we are used this kind of screenshots on this forum, and know what it is , and know what to take it for, but when people try to argue that the screens are actually in game shots, i have the right to point out that they are, in fact, bullshots.

Aspecially people here on B3D should know better than to try to stress that some dev said its realtime or not. Its not in game, it has no jaggies.

And for the love of god, RESISTANCE HAS JAGGIES!! @ 4 x AA you can still spot jaggies. Capice? Dont bring that game up again, 4x AA = jaggies (significantly less jaggies, but still jaggies). Take a look on the screenshots, you cannot see aliasing at all, that means something like atleast 16x AA. So dont give me crap about resistance, this is b3d, we know how much bandwidth and how big framebuffer you need to do AA operations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back