What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, RUSE gets too complicated and overwhelming. I think UnderSiege has the right size (Small party RTS), but I sure hope they release the difficulty patch soonish.

Yeah, kinda agree with that. There were a few times I wished Ruse had implemented a "set-your-commands-while-paused" system. Much like AOE had (IIRC). I don't think it would have detracted too much from the real-time aspect. Didn't think the Ruse card stuff added much to the game either to be honest.

IMHO, RUSE gets too complicated and overwhelming. I think UnderSiege has the right size (Small party RTS), but I sure hope they release the difficulty patch soonish.
A recent post in the forums says it's gone to Sony for approval or such. They've added four player too. :D

Killzone 3 MP. Maxing out Healer class. I am not sure which class is next...probably Tactician, as this is the only class with the cool standard ISA rifle!

Killzone 3 MP. Maxing out Healer class. I am not sure which class is next...probably Tactician, as this is the only class with the cool standard ISA rifle!

Yes ! Medic first since IMHO it's the best face-to-face and supporting fighter in KZ3 (Once you maxed it out). Even when you lose the war, you most likely will win most of the encounters.

Tactician next for its strategic capture ability and M82 (Best gun in the game).

Next is a toss up between Engineer and Infiltrator.
Infiltrator can win the S&R mission for the team. Also great for Assassination.
Engineer for its repair, rocket turret and the top tier LMG (very little recoil, smooth like driving a BMW ^_^). Mostly a defensive play but very powerful in certain maps. I once held off 3 Tacticians alone throughout the game. They kept coming back for more ! Only lost the TSP I was protecting for 1+ minute, and then got it back again with the help of another Tactician.

Marksman sounds scary but in reality the class doesn't really contribute to objective games. A Marksman can win a fight relatively easily but is usually taken down once exposed. So the experience is not that great unless you play strategically (i.e., much less kill).

Going to jump back in to Bayonetta after this. IMO, the best hack and slash this gen.

Yep. One of the my rare 1000/1000 points games. Too bad people were turned off by the lead character presentation. The whole "sexy" push is more of a joke and easy to see when you actually play through the game.

The combat, framerate and enemy encounters are all top notch. Brilliant game.

Yep. One of the my rare 1000/1000 points games. Too bad people were turned off by the lead character presentation. The whole "sexy" push is more of a joke and easy to see when you actually play through the game.

The character presentation and "sexy" push is a part of the appeal for me. I want to at least get it to where I can play as Jeanne (I think that's her name).

I will probably finish with Ninja Gaiden Sigma today and so may put that in. I also picked up Final Fantasy XIII for PS3 used, so I may play a bit with that. The 40-50 our main quest is a little off putting, so that may have to wait.

I don't think that's why Bayonetta sold so poorly... I think it was a combination of:
1. lack of advertising
2. the genre itself doesn't have very much mass appeal
3. the ps3 version was terrible

Anyway, back on topic.

GT5 and Rock Band 2.

My copy of Resistance 3 should be here by the end of the week then I'll start on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Driver: San Francisco for the PS3 and can honestly say that it is a lot of fun. Someone at Reflections obviously watched "Life On Mars" - DSF is that show crossed with old school Driver mechanics.

Hopefully the game does well as I'd like to see more sand box racers like this show up this gen.

Cheers

And it has a Space Harrier level! What's not to like?

Deus Ex now. Very reminiscent of the first game, which is of course a good thing.

Finished BlooRayne Betrayal.

More impressions are always welcome. :)

Finished Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet which was pretty good but definitely not worth the 1200 pints mainly because of the lack of content so anyone's interested in the game better wait for a deal of the week - also started a Bayonetta Hard "warm up" run because Non-Climax difficulty run is what I'm doing next and the game is still blowing my mind with it's awesomeness both graphically and of course gameplay-wise...the things that these guys at Platinum did with the 360 are simply amazing.

Too bad we won't see an evolution of this engine on Bayonetta 2 since it will be developed in house (at least according to Kamiya's twitter) and compromises will inevitably have to happen to have parity between the two versions since Platinum's engine and especially Bayonetta made great use of the edram - this is definitely the bad side of multiplatform developement.

More impressions are always welcome. :)

There's not a lot to say which hasn't been said in reviews already. The Gamespot review in particular hit the nail on the head if you ask me.
It's a side scrolling brawler/platformer with one fundamental flaw: you can't cancel attack animations, and unfortunately said animations are elaborate and long. This means you will get hit a lot without any chance to defend yourself. It may look like an exciting action game based on reactions and skill, but it's really more about memorization of enemy placement. Rayne has a couple of attacks that send your opponents flying into the corner of the screen. If you send an enemy flying he will catch every enemy between him and the corner as well. What you want to do is pile up enemies in a corner and finish them all at the same so no-one can sneak up behind you. That's really all there is to it in a nutshell. Well, that and the occasional platforming hell sections. The lengthy animations you can't cancel out of give the whole thing a very sluggish feel and the game als loves to knock you down the very moment you manage to get up. Basically the game is hard for all the wrong reasons.

It's an old school game, but as Jim Sterling wisely said on numerous occasions: 95% of these old games are shit, and people need to accept that. He gave BlooRayne a 2/10 by the way. (I don't agree with that score, because I did have some fun with it. The written review is pretty spot-on, though)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's not a lot to say which hasn't been said in reviews already. The Gamespot review in particular hit the nail on the head if you ask me.
It's a side scrolling brawler/platformer with one fundamental flaw: you can't cancel attack animations, and unfortunately said animations are elaborate and long. This means you will get hit a lot without any chance to defend yourself. It may look like an exciting action game based on reactions and skill, but it's really more about memorization of enemy placement. Rayne has a couple of attacks that send your opponents flying into the corner of the screen. If you send an enemy flying he will catch every enemy between him and the corner as well. What you want to do is pile up enemies in a corner and finish them all at the same so no-one can sneak up behind you. That's really all there is to it in a nutshell. Well, that and the occasional platforming hell sections. The lengthy animations you can't cancel out of give the whole thing a very sluggish feel and the game als loves to knock you down the very moment you manage to get up. Basically the game is hard for all the wrong reasons.

It's an old school game, but as Jim Sterling wisely said on numerous occasions: 95% of these old games are shit, and people need to accept that. He gave BlooRayne a 2/10 by the way. (I don't agree with that score, because I did have some fun with it. The written review is pretty spot-on, though)

Doesn't sound good, I played the demo for 5 minutes on a friend and wasn't excited to be honest...for 1200 points there was no way I'd buy that now.

Anyway thanks for the impressions!

Back on topic two days ago I got Warhammer 40K: Space Marine LE (which is awesome btw) and Deus Ex: HR - Space Marine will possibly be the next game I'll play. :p

I'm an old BloodRayne fan, so I was pretty excited for the game and even pre-ordered it on the PSN. After playing other Wayforward games like Shantae I simply expected a way better game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back