Next Gen will drag the Tumor on for Gaming. It's Bleak?

lightarrow

Newcomer
Its going to be like 2005-06 again.
They know they are going to have to work their best at media hype & spin, misleading etc to top this current gen & get them to sell. (Whole new younger gamers to fool) The cesspool that is SONY still havnt offered the "photorealistic" games they hyped about back in the day. No game is photorealistic yet, closest I can think is crysis1's trees etc. Unless a back ground still in a racing game added with blur & speed is photorealistic.
Real quality graphics which are so rare these past 4-5yrs require alot of time from devs which is completely against their main purpose to make money for a mediocre audience.

What despicable gimmicks are going to be in this gen?

3D- Games look cool for most gamers, spruce them up to 1080p with shaper textures & most gamers will be more than pleased. 3D is cheap, easy & not detailed at all.
Online- Massive open environments with still mediocre detail with huge numbers of players. Up size the maps but quality remains almost same. Most dont care about the graphics. It will be so much fun for the youth.
All this pointless but seductive spin about 4k resolutions, I can understand if all my blu-rays were magically replaced with 4K versions. You would need a 60-80" HDTV to justify 4K.
Childish interactive controls for slapped up games that bring in the cash. I can see how it would be great on a massive screen playing a "survival simulator/horror story game" where you have to do so much things not possible solely with a controller or keyboard. Build a fire like you would in real-life, make detailed stuff with motion sensor by your hands, skin animals.
Instead of 1000 enemies attacking you, not the old days of resident evil on game cube. They had dignity.

Look how many zombies live on their iphones playing these things they call games. So many console gamers raving about "this new amazing graphics" game on PS3 they got from genericmart. Its all sliding down.

Compare the early console games released in 05-06 & compare them to the best now on console.
They are not much better at all in 6yrs. yet these small differences are adequate. GT5's in game visuals are nitpicking compared to the the first racing games on 360. I beat the next forza or GT on next gen consoles wont even have:
3d grass, (yes i can see it in my real car at high speed)
realistic detailed trees that trump crysis,
amazing detailed roads that are not simple LQ repeated textures covered in blur,
crowds that are as detailed as crysis 2 npcs & not something from san andreas.
Clouds & sky that put crysis to shame,
realistic weather unlike GT5's chessy weather,
scary realistic headlight lighting & shadows (not glowing & showing poor wall textures)
realistic night atmosphere (seriously no game STILL comes close)
ultra realistic in car detail (windscreens, dashboard) that isnt just generic quality,
unbelievably outside car details, something in the ballpark to a cg movie scene like 2012.

This all should be possible with todays absurd amounts of resources. But no dev will put this detail in, that extra requires so much more work. Look at crysis1 (2007 lol) what game since has come close to the detail of the trees & foliage? Consoles should shoot for detail at least what I saw in that gdc unreal2010 demo. All that environment blows crysis1 away.
Why cant games have texture detail that a digicam captures? For example take a photo outside of the concrete footpath from 1M away.

Even though F1 2011 is a crazy fast fun game, the detail might as well be like playing crysis1 on low back in the day. Now how was that possible to enjoy properly? The best night race game Ive played is shift2 & its detail in lighting (night & headlights) isnt real at all. Consoles get most of the fun games but pay the price for looking like crysis1 on low for its time. Red dead redemption looked so fun, finally great game idea, THE old west! But seriously its graphics were a joke & I couldn't enjoy it. All these fun games held back by consoles.
Crysis 2 is kinda good for console, of course its a low res watered down version of the stock pc version, which when pushed only adds tessellation, sharper textures etc. Nothing crash hot when considering its 2011. Still relies on blur, softness & lighting to cover it up. Look at the meat & its average. KillzonePS3 is all softness & blur. So many games look the same literally, its as if they share the same models, textures, lighting & blur.
In 6+years console games haven't advanced much at all.

Some overrated multi platform games that I consider failures on PC for their low quality.
Half life 2 episode 2. Around the time the Half Life franchise died imo.
GTA4. Its a gta game, self explanatory.
Skyrim. Its graphics scream console. Its recycled.
Alan Wake. Biggest never was game all time, embodiment of what is wrong with gaming today, yet most might be none the wiser.
Rage. outdoors rocks 7 textures look average.

I see a typical shooter now should do to crysis1 what crysis1 did to Far Cry. Vegitaion at least on par with what was in gdc2010 unreal demo. No fake 3d water moving around randomly. Have real rolling waves that break on shores with froth. 3d grass, 3d textured surface grass, sand. textures that rival a digicam. detailed plants & trees are seen from large distances. Rocks are not smooth & flat but very course & detailed.

So its bleak & think its time to throw in the towl. This massive drought in PC gaming will most slowly pass, But the bar will always be of mediocre standards with buggy game play that is recycled. People say its not as bad, they bring up sales figures about gamers & say the future is looking up. But that wont improve the stagnate state of graphics.

The problem is the demography.
Yes, Uncharted 3 has mediocre graphics in your opinion.
It's true that god of war 3 cannot compare to PC games.
And correct: GT5 pales in comparison to the many racing games of similar caliber the PC has.
However, people pay for those games and that is why they are created.

Blame yourself and your PC gaming friends for having Epic, Crytec, Valve, Battlefield and even iD software for going multiplatform.

The best games of this generation were not exclusive to PC. deal with it. Be happy that the pc even gets ports of great games sometimes. Else you would be stuck playing....
Arma2 and...
Diabolo and the world of warcraft.

The graphics imo are great on consoles. It's true that PC graphics could be even better, but as I see it, PC exclusive developers just suck; technology wise (lack of optimization) and art wise.

When I was playing this (picking this section in particular as it covers some of the things you mention), it felt properly next-gen to me, definitely hope that this is something we'll see more of:

It's true that god of war 3 cannot compare to PC games.

I think I asked the exact same thing in another topic already, but can someone point me into the direction of these console graphics crushing PC games, please? I have a fairly good PC, and I have yet to see, let alone play a single one of these. Good graphics aren't just the sum of fancy shaders, framerates and high resolutions I'm afraid, and that's literally the only advantages my PC seems to have over my PS3 at the moment. (and even that is only applicable if the publishers are mercifully enough to bother with PC versions in the first place)

Good graphics aren't just the sum of fancy shaders, framerates and high resolutions I'm afraid, and that's literally the only advantages my PC seems to have over my PS3 at the moment.

Shaders, framerate and resolution? Throw in textures which are obviously better on the PC and there's not actually much else to graphics. The graphical difference is clearly nowhere near what it could be given the power difference but Crysis 2 (for example) on your PS3 at low detail (PC equivalent), sub 720p, and about 28fps average is pretty ridiculous compared to the game at maximum on PC at 1080p 60fps.

I'm sure you'd agree if it was the PS3 sporting those settings and the 360 stuck with PS3 level graphics.

(and even that is only applicable if the publishers are mercifully enough to bother with PC versions in the first place)

Like 90% of AAA multiplatform games don't get released on the PC anyway?

Shaders, framerate and resolution? Throw in textures which are obviously better on the PC and there's not actually much else to graphics. The graphical difference is clearly nowhere near what it could be given the power difference but Crysis 2 (for example) on your PS3 at low detail (PC equivalent), sub 720p, and about 28fps average is pretty ridiculous compared to the game at maximum on PC at 1080p 60fps.

What still totally confusess me even today is how console marketting "bullshots" are considered to look "too amazing" conpared to how the games actually look on console even though they are just the same game with more resolution and aa, but pc games which basically let you play current games at bullshot resolution/aa along with 60fps, improved shadows, texture filtering, ao, view distance, etc, etc, etc, are considered meh. I just don't get it.

What still totally confusess me even today is how console marketting "bullshots" are considered to look "too amazing" conpared to how the games actually look on console even though they are just the same game with more resolution and aa, but pc games which basically let you play current games at bullshot resolution/aa along with 60fps, improved shadows, texture filtering, ao, view distance, etc, etc, etc, are considered meh. I just don't get it.

i think it's all about the art style.
Take GOW3 for example;
take away one of the best anti aliasing methods in existence and what do you have?
Borderline CG character models.
It's not about the polycount or texture resolution. It's how you use it.
The witcher 2 IMO looks worse when you up the resolution. The awkward character modeling and character motions only become more apparent.

I had a discussion on a forum back in 2000.. PC fans were trying to diss on the PS2, saying that Quake 3 in 1280*1024 would look more realistic than anything the PS2 could ever produce...

And lightarrow, I don't like the usage of the word "tumor".
If anything, pc gamers who don't always pay for their games are the tumor of this industry.
Again, you only have yourself to blame for big PC developers leaving the platform

i think it's all about the art style.
Take GOW3 for example;
take away one of the best anti aliasing methods in existence and what do you have?
Borderline CG character models.
It's not about the polycount or texture resolution. It's how you use it.

Doesn't really answer my question since subjectively to me the best art direction this gen has come from multi platform games, some of which are also on pc. Which brings me back to my confusion, how console bullshots of said games are "ZOMG AMAZING!!1111" whereas pc versions which let you play in bullshot mode at 60fps along with plenty more improvements are "meh". Like I said it all makes zero sense to me.

The witcher 2 IMO looks worse when you up the resolution. The awkward character modeling and character motions only become more apparent.

Not really sure what to say here other than I disagree, but whatever.

Doesn't really answer my question since subjectively to me the best art direction this gen has come from multi platform games, some of which are also on pc. Which brings me back to my confusion, how console bullshots of said games are "ZOMG AMAZING!!1111" whereas pc versions which let you play in bullshot mode at 60fps along with plenty more improvements are "meh". Like I said it all makes zero sense to me.

Fanboyism, immaturity, jealousy, you know the drill.

On a different topic, wtf, a somewhat rambling troll on console gaming in the console forum? :oops:

Probably amazing considering the console hardware they are running on, not so on PC's considering they can do much more than better framerates, resolution and AA?
There are only two games people compare to PCs.Its just God of War and Uncharted. They stand by their own, not because they surpass anything that is seen on PCs but simply because the devs have great imagination, know how to design their own solutions and blend them well with their art. So basically what people see is dev talent, concepts, ideas and visual expression that other developers havent tried to express, not better visuals than what PCs can do

Less scripted bullshit more simulation that gives me freedom like Dishonored Gamedevs said it "Its not a adventure game but a simulated adventure" I probably butchered that :)

It's not really better visuals (measured in shaders, AA method and fps) when comparing console to pc; it's just better overall games, and often overall better presentation.

Most PC games are low budget; which means that they can often have good (unoptimized) graphics, but you will always see that the animation, the camera motion, voice acting plus other things like story or gameplay sort of destroy the overall illusion.
Witcher 2: case in point.
Run that game on 6 monitors at the same time. The animation would still look like something resembling a PS2 era game. Some animations even look like PS1 era games, running up stairs for example.

again: "the Tumor" is PC fanboys not paying for games, and the few remaining PC developed titles suffering heavily as a consequence.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a fallacy.

the OP is a fallacy.

also
Compare the early console games released in 05-06 & compare them to the best now on console.
They are not much better at all in 6yrs. yet these small differences are adequate. GT5's in game visuals are nitpicking compared to the the first racing games on 36
0. I beat the next forza or GT on next gen consoles wont even have:
3d grass, (yes i can see it in my real car at high speed)
realistic detailed trees that trump crysis,
amazing detailed roads that are not simple LQ repeated textures covered in blur,
crowds that are as detailed as crysis 2 npcs & not something from san andreas.
Clouds & sky that put crysis to shame,
realistic weather unlike GT5's chessy weather,
scary realistic headlight lighting & shadows (not glowing & showing poor wall textures)
realistic night atmosphere (seriously no game STILL comes close)
ultra realistic in car detail (windscreens, dashboard) that isnt just generic quality,
unbelievably outside car details, something in the ballpark to a cg movie scene like 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs

you can never replace developer talent (and closed 2006 hardware) with whatever amount of GPU's you can stack.
Again, nobody is going to make a game of this scale on PC. It would be commercial suicide.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no distinction between PC and console games anymore. Its simply multiplatform games and console exclusives. Discounting wii, about 90% of top tier multiplatform games are on PC and the big exclusives that are specific to one console or the other can be counted on one hand in the last couple of years.

So this rubbish about "pc" games having lower prodction values than "console" games is just that, rubbish. "PC" games are Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Dirt 3, Max Payne 3, Alan Wake, Bioshock 3, Skryrim etc etc.... the production values in those games are every bit as high, or higher than any console exclusive. The only difference between the PC and console versions are that the PC versions look, run and often, play better.

Next-gen forced me to watch as it killed my family. Now I'm out for revenge.

LOL. :LOL:

Whats with all the doom and gloom about the next gen all of the sudden? People act like if next gen isn't 100x as powerful as this gen was, the whole market, indeed, even the whole world, will impode! Come off it.

As said above, developer skill matters, not hardware. If next gen is only 5x the power of this gen, good developers will make it feel 100x better to you.

There is no distinction between PC and console games anymore. Its simply multiplatform games and console exclusives. Discounting wii, about 90% of top tier multiplatform games are on PC and the big exclusives that are specific to one console or the other can be counted on one hand in the last couple of years.

So this rubbish about "pc" games having lower prodction values than "console" games is just that, rubbish. "PC" games are Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Dirt 3, Max Payne 3, Alan Wake, Bioshock 3, Skryrim etc etc.... the production values in those games are every bit as high, or higher than any console exclusive. The only difference between the PC and console versions are that the PC versions look, run and often, play better.

I respectfully disagree.
I think you mean that 90% of relevant PC games are multiplatform ports.
The games you listed are multiplatform games which also had a release on PC.
I was talking about PC exclusive games having lower production values in general.
Also, the games you mentioned would have never been developed as exclusive PC games. they exist because there are consoles, not the other way around.

I respectfully disagree.
I think you mean that 90% of relevant PC games are multiplatform ports.
The games you listed are multiplatform games which also had a release on PC.
I was talking about PC exclusive games having lower production values in general.
Also, the games you mentioned would have never been developed as exclusive PC games. they exist because there are consoles, not the other way around.

I never said those games were PC exclusives, I said they are multiplatform games. Multiplatform means they are PC games as well as console games.

You said "PC games" have low production values. I'm pointing out that most "PC games" are in fact multiplatform games with high production values. Picking the one or two AAA games a year that don't immediately come to consoles (<5% of the AAA PC games market) to draw the conclusion than PC gaming is inherently inferior to console gaming because "PC games have lower production values" is quite frankly ridiculous.

Back