Help this guy understand how to get back to playing games on PC

PC gaming has become, as usual, a user UNFRIENDLY environment, for all, except the "geek". Those twats whine and bleat ALL day and night about this tweak they need, and that tweak they need. When you listen to squeaky wheels you should get REPLACED, not "greased".

It's still very much friendlier than the DOS days (editing config.sys and autoexec.bat to gain enough memory or deal with DMA conficts, etc). And still friendlier than the Win9x days. And even somewhat better than most of the WinXP days (no dx cap bits, many people running without routers, a firewall or A/V leading to a lot more compromised machines that now days).

Regards,
SB

Yeah I'm convinced that PC gaming has only gotten easier and that it's managed continual growth over it's entire existence. Everything has improved and matured. Access to games is impulse buy optimized (lol), game setup is mindless, the hardware is more reliable and yet cheaper, a 7 year old PC can still be game worthy, etc.

You can't just go and generalize that it's the end of days because you lucked out and got a defective piece of kit.

thats why people need a "techie" on their family or friend.

theres just too many case where my friends or cousins get confused when buying PC/laptop. Or even worse, almost get fooled by the laptop/PC seller.

venting:
Each PC component producer also did not help the market at all. AMD Radeon 8650G, Nvidia GeForce 740, Nvidia GeForce 650, Intel HD 4000 with 4GB RAM (or something).

Intel i5 and i3 thats both are DUAL CORE.
Amd A6 thats actually not 6 core.

1000 dollars laptop that actually slower than 600 dollar laptop for gaming or working in 3D model/renders.

how common people know which one is faster?

Apple with their iPhone are much easier for people to understand. And in the end buy el-cheapo android device (or uber expensive android) because the sales pitch it to them :/

Almost always able to see that event happen in front of my eyes everytime i go to cellphone store on shopping mall.

Even if they bough the right thing after consulting with me or their friends/family, its not uncommon they did not get the expected experience. I need to ask them to come and tweak their device.

The most weird thing is, they usually install MULTIPLE antivirus and complained theyr laptop are too slow.

thats why people need a "techie" on their family or friend.

theres just too many case where my friends or cousins get confused when buying PC/laptop. Or even worse, almost get fooled by the laptop/PC seller.

venting:
Each PC component producer also did not help the market at all. AMD Radeon 8650G, Nvidia GeForce 740, Nvidia GeForce 650, Intel HD 4000 with 4GB RAM (or something).

Intel i5 and i3 thats both are DUAL CORE.
Amd A6 thats actually not 6 core.

1000 dollars laptop that actually slower than 600 dollar laptop for gaming or working in 3D model/renders.

how common people know which one is faster?

Apple with their iPhone are much easier for people to understand. And in the end buy el-cheapo android device (or uber expensive android) because the sales pitch it to them :/

Almost always able to see that event happen in front of my eyes everytime i go to cellphone store on shopping mall.

Even if they bough the right thing after consulting with me or their friends/family, its not uncommon they did not get the expected experience. I need to ask them to come and tweak their device.

The most weird thing is, they usually install MULTIPLE antivirus and complained theyr laptop are too slow.

The thing is I am the techie around that people ask advise for, I used to indeed be a power user, before you make fun of me and my social circle (!). I just had taken a break from it, managing to keep high end laptop PC for more than 5 years and instead game on console, which meant I stopped keeping track of every new motherboard / gfx card / cpu review for a good while. I was gullible enough to think a Samsung laptop with quad core Core I7 and GTX650m was good enough, that the PC scene matured enough for me to buy without too much digging for info. I did a very brief forum search for the model I bought btw, people didn't seem to have such problems, only those who said the laptop was a bit hot under load. I used to be the ones that upgraded their PC components partially until a complete new set of technologies could be found on chipsets, when I did a major upgrade when that was the case.

One thing that also prompted me to go to consoles years ago was, I was tired of fixing my own PC's problems. I had a desktop Core2duo 2.4 ghz, top of the line ASUS m/b, Corsair RAM I specifically brought from the states, a near high end (at the time) ATI gfx card. I even installed a new gpu heatsink and fan for the GPU. I had built the thing from scratch. But I wasn't too lucky with it, my brand PSU's gave up on me my twice, for example. My RAM weren't stable with their stock / rated speeds so I had to under-clock, my CPU wasn't overclockable (I had specifically bought supposedly the best M/B, good RAM and CPU to overclock, just wasn't lucky probably).

Last edited by a moderator:
wow your experience are the polar oposite of mine.

my PC or PC that i recommend to my firend/family generally stands their ground for years with no problem. Of course, except when they infect it with virus.

as a mater of fact, the majority of component on my PC even survives thunder strike that killed my ADSL modem and WiFi router.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62678

on the other hand, i have 2 xbox 360 because my old one died in just 1 year :(

btw did you success recovering windows 8 key?
i posted the tips here --> http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=63328&page=2

Buy high-end computer with chosen components, get Windows + Drivers installed on it, get a free Anti-Virus installed and then install Steam, done.
You may update drivers when facing an issue or finding performance too low, other than that, just keep on playing.

Buy high-end computer with chosen components, get Windows + Drivers installed on it, get a free Anti-Virus installed and then install Steam, done.
You may update drivers when facing an issue or finding performance too low, other than that, just keep on playing.

Yeah I'm not seeing where all the difficulty lies. If you really are stumped, there are a bunch of us or guys like us willing to offer all the free advice you could ever need.

It sounds to me like we are discussing finding simplicity by throwing away choice and diversity. And of course this is exactly what the consoles and Apple sell. It's basically personal preference and perception.

I gotta say I agree with Roderic (aside from being more of a low-end-oriented buyer), although I respect that there are a LOT of bad options out there. It all comes down to simplicity and confidence, in my opinion. In another forum there was a guy who came on asking for PC advice and of course he immediately got a half-dozen different replies, almost all of them flat out wrong and several dubious. Not one of them contained any scientific methodology for ascertaining the best return/$ chips or SKUs or practical assembly advice, and as it turned out, by the time some of us did pipe up with rational advice he was the kind of person who is so flustered by choice that he really, really, really should have bought an Apple. Some people are just like that, there's no shame in that, they have other skills they're working on, they get hosed pricewise, but hey, that's where I used to make my money, so who am I to complain? Anyway, I do vehemently disagree with the suggestion that consoles offer you more for the money, especially looking at the crappy lockin-oriented "features" of the upcoming console generation. But, to each their own. Honestly, though, having been here for so long now, I wouldn't hestitate in the slightest to say, if you're looking to buy a gaming PC, and you are an upstanding b3d member, you're doing yourself a disservice not to rely on the forum's knowledge (as I do regularly, when my knowledge is out of date) in advance. You can dodge a lot of bullets that way, and, in the long run, wind up far, far ahead of anything that a warranty might save you.

Hope this doesn't sound critical of the OP; that is not my intention -- I'm coming in late, mostly to thank the smart fellas here and suggest that we have all seen a lesson clearly illustrated here, and thanks to the OP for being big enough to share that with us; I know I often like to hide from my mistakes, lol (buries northbridge chip snapped from use of AS epoxy further)!

Back