Next Gen will drag the Tumor on for Gaming. It's Bleak?

Most PC games are low budget; which means that they can often have good (unoptimized) graphics, but you will always see that the animation, the camera motion, voice acting plus other things like story or gameplay sort of destroy the overall illusion.
Witcher 2: case in point.
Run that game on 6 monitors at the same time. The animation would still look like something resembling a PS2 era game. Some animations even look like PS1 era games, running up stairs for example.

Stop chatting BS, pleaze:
http://youtu.be/3VcNiMgQGSo
http://youtu.be/1LJnR6E6sEU?t=46s

Hmm... I wonder if this console gen would've been a bigger leap had we been stuck with SDTVs even now?

I mean the consoles were made with HD in mind, but I wonder how if the console manufacturers and many developers really understood the trade-offs between resolution, textures, physics, and frame-rate to make things work?

edit: though, if they handed Halo to SOny Santa Monica then it would look like that in realtime!
He is comparing pre-rendered images which (to my understanding) don't even use in-game assets or realtime light renders.
He could have also picked this Halo 3 image:

halo3_render_60.jpg

Pre-rendered images which don't even use in-game assets or realtime light renders!? We've practically seen the first Halo 4 image I put here in the stage demo in E3, plus if I recall correctly all of the Halo 4 footage was done in-engine according to 343.
And then on the other hand, you are actually putting here for comparison a screenshot which clearly states Halo 3 CG Trailer.Are you even aware that there was no such scene in the actual game? Or was your whole point to claim that Halo 4 footage looks like a pre-rendered CG movie and therefore it shouldn't be compared to regular game footage?

(Plus, I think you got it backwards: as far as I recall The Sony Santa Monica games are the ones with some cutscenes being pre-rendered. The Halo cutscenes, at least in the Bungie era, were done in realtime)

As for Halo, my memory was cloudy, for that I apologize. Some Xbox-only friends were showing me Halo footage back in the days, claiming it was realtime, that was with Halo 3. I even read it was realtime in a lot of places. But I guess I saw the CGI trailer instead of the supposed realtime trailer.

Btw, was this ever claimed as using lightning and effects representative of the realtime renderer?

HaloReachCampaign.jpg

I was looking up some posts on the internet comparing Halo3 realtime to trailers, and this is what people on the Halo fan forum had to say:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=39652370&postRepeater1-p=1#39653138

We all know that the Halo 3 announcement trailer looks far better than the actual game, but in my opinion, Reach looks a lot better and more realistic than the Halo 3 announcement trailer. Reach's graphics are far better than Halo 3's. But before you start saying that Reach's graphics won't look this good because look at how the Halo 3's graphics degraded. You have to remember that the Halo 3 announcement trailer came out nearly a year and a half before the actual game came out, while this new Reach trailer came out only 10 months before the games release. Also, Bungie claims that the Reach trailer is actually part of the opening cutscene of the game, so this could very well be what we're going to get when the game comes out.

Well, Halo 3 was pre-rendered, and the Halo Reach was not. What I find amazing is the Halo Reach graphics are par or higher than the PRERENDERED Halo 3 graphics.

So again, my memory may have been clouded by reading similar posts back in the day.

back ontopic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VcNiMgQGSo&feature=youtu.be

:LOL: the first link I click, within 7 seconds. You see Geralds' turning animation resembling early PS1 games, you just proved my point.

edit: don't get me wrong, a lot of aspects of the Witcher 2's graphics are really amazing and could not be done with the same detail/precision on any console ever released!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back