What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just played the Ace Combat - Assault Horizon demo.
What the hell is this crap supposed to be? I guess you could call it the Call of Duty of flight sims (not that the series was ever particularly deep, but like most good arcade games it still involved skill). Enemies have unlimited amounts of counter measures or so it seems, your guns either must be shooting milk or enemy planes are made of Vibranium, missiles have almost zero accuracy in free flight, and dog fights, which are pretty much the only means of taking enemy planes out, are scripted on-rails sequences for crying out loud. You can also fly straight into the ground at full speed now. You'll bounce right back up, take some damage and just have to wait for the regenerating health to do its thing.

The 2nd demo mission in the Apache was just overly long and boring. It also controls exactly like a fps (a very simplistic one at that) where you can also rise and descent. The invisible ceiling is incredibly low though. The third person camera is pretty much unusable since the chopper literally blocks 70% of the screen, by the way.

Visually it's a mixed bag. The jets and choppers look great (both fully intact and wrecked), the explosions look very impressive too, but while I'm usually fine with filter effects, Assault Horizon simply goes overboard with it. The bleached out image and all the grain effects give the whole thing a very dirty and washed out look, and it also makes the light green HUD elements very hard to read. I couldn't really tell whether the ground textures were simply poor or just ruined by the heavy filtering. I assume it's a little bit of both.

Voice acting was pretty good at least. Music was your typical Black Hawk Down-ish soundtrack. You know, the usual Middle Eastern scales and percussion layered on top of some down tuned heavy guitars kinda thing.

You guys talking about Killzone 3 almost make me want to try to like it again. But I've given up. I loathe most of the maps, dislike many of the changes (like proximity mines for everyone), and 94% of the time, the people I'm playing with are entirely disinterested in the objectives.

Anyway, I'm back into MAG. Flawed, yet marvelous. There are better games, and there are worse games, but there's simply nothing like it.

Also, I'm replaying Metroid Prime Echoes. Damned pretty, and I'm glad I waited to get an HDTV until I found one that upscaled SD content in a way that didn't make it look like garbage.

Yeah, I saw 2-3 people going back to MAG on my friends list (including you !).

For KZ3, you have to lead. I think it's similar to MAG in the sense that people head towards some general direction and play by ear. However, MAG is more suitable for clan war.

In KZ3, I don't sprint that much unless I'm a Medic or an Infiltrator. I'd also use my rocket launcher or grenades to clear heavily mined areas. That's why Engineer is so important in my games. Sometimes I spawn as one and make sure I have a healthy ammo supply from the crates.

If you only play as one class say, Tactician, throughout the entire Warzone session, the game becomes more limited.

In MAG, you don't have to worry about these things. I miss the huge battlefield atmosphere there.

Well, I loved KZ2. Got the medal for finishing in the top 10% worldwide one week. My problems with KZ3 are:

1. The maps. KZ2 maps were orderly and logical, like a grittier, more realistic Team Fortress. The KZ3 maps all have the theme, "a bunch of rubble and crap strewn all over the place" and tend to feel more maze-like. I put some decent time in the game and was still running into dead ends or forgetting how to get from where I was to a place I could clearly see. Bilgarsk Boulevard is the only thing that feels like it could have been in KZ2. Turbine Concourse SE-6 might be one of the worst maps I've played in any game. I knew Corinth Crossing. Corinth Crossing was a friend of mine. And you, Corinth Highway, are no Corinth Crossing.

2. Fewer options in the class system is not a good thing. It's a bad thing. Assault and Soldier were great classes that could have used a tweak or two, not complete elimination.

3. Insta-kill melee is a terrible addition. If I wanted to play Call of Duty, I'd be playing Call of Duty. I very much preferred the Halo-style melee.

4. There was no reason to cut the number of players from 32 to 24 other than graphics, which is a terrible reason.

5. Taking away the custom server options and forcing everyone into random match-making because you want everyone to focus on the COD-like upgrade system was a horrible decision. I liked KZ2 because it was the only console game that had PC-like customization options. If I wanted to play COD...I'd...be...playing...COD.

6. I dislike everything the exos and jet packs have done to the game. Adding vehicles to a multiplayer FPS requires completely rethinking the map design and weapon balance (see: Halo). But I don't want some massive redesign. I loved KZ2 and wanted more of it.

7. Operations would be cool if the maps weren't so poorly designed, which they are.

8. The leveling system could have used some minor tweaks, not a total conversion into Black Ops.

TL;DR - KZ3 is trying to be other games, mostly Halo and COD. I'd rather play a bot match in KZ2 than KZ3. If it had been "more and better KZ2," I probably would have dropped MAG, but it's not, so...time to wax some easy-mode SVER bastards with my M245!

I do agree on that one point there, that even bot matches were a lot of fun in KZ2 ! and I mean a lot of fun , sometimes I would just play with bots and not head into MP at all and still enjoy my session to the max.

KZ3 feels soulless. To me its just a "brutal melee" fest ! That thing completely breaks the game ! I never got over it !

Yeah, I forgot to add that KZ3 managed to even break bot matches. You can't choose what faction you're on; only the map. Now why the $*#@ does Guerilla care which faction I want to play on when I am all by myself and not interfering with anyone?! Not to mention the AI can't handle assaulting the ship in that one Operations map.

Even though I was disappointed with the game, I am happy to play with anyone who invites me. I don't have the DLC, though.

MAG makes me want to punch my screen sometimes, the way nearly everyone vets to SVER, so that there's no point in even playing with randoms on the other two factions. The whole PMC idea was just not a good one.

You try again, and again, again, and again, .... until you succeed. Hopefully. Did I mention there's limited continues?:devilish: (there are mid level checkpoints, but if you screw up too often it's back to the beginning)

It's really the only reason why anyone would want to play Catherine in the first place, so you'd better damn well love the anime bits.

I bought Catherine over lunch time. Should complement my R3 diet well these few weeks until Dark Souls hit.

According to the manual, if you press and hold the [SELECT] button, you get to pick a "Very Easy" game mode. :cool:

Curious to see how the anime part turns out. :D

Even though I was disappointed with the game, I am happy to play with anyone who invites me. I don't have the DLC, though.

MAG makes me want to punch my screen sometimes, the way nearly everyone vets to SVER, so that there's no point in even playing with randoms on the other two factions. The whole PMC idea was just not a good one.

Bro, I'm still a Raven at the max level. Haven't and probably won't ever vet. ;-)

The earlier levels would be too frustrating to revisit. I am very happy with a max'ed out Raven.

Are you talking about the KZ3 map packs ? The new maps are more interesting than the built-in ones, but you have to like the game first. :)

The new maps get played very often too.

Gears 3. So far only messed about a little bit in beast and horde mode. So far so good. There's quite a bit to learn to progress and maximize your defenses.

Too bad I'm too far away from the rest of you guys to get some co-op in without it affecting the lag.

Hm... dunno how it is where you're at, but the lag wasn't too bad with Graham (UK) and a full party for co-op.

Gears 3. So far only messed about a little bit in beast and horde mode. So far so good. There's quite a bit to learn to progress and maximize your defenses.
I'm not totally sold on the whole "money economy" thing in Horde.

Bro, I'm still a Raven at the max level. Haven't and probably won't ever vet. ;-)

The earlier levels would be too frustrating to revisit. I am very happy with a max'ed out Raven.

Are you talking about the KZ3 map packs ? The new maps are more interesting than the built-in ones, but you have to like the game first. :)

The new maps get played very often too.
Yeah, I'm talking about maps. I have a Raven alt (I pay for all three accounts)...message me sometime when I'm on, and I'll join you for whatever (MAG, KZ, COD, etc). Even games I don't like all that much are more fun with competent people.

Except White Knight Chronicles. I decided to ignore reviews, which was a mistake. The game is deep fried crap on a stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back