What are you playing now? [2023]

Haven't played these yet on Game Pass, but they are on my list...

As Dusk Falls
Road 96

Did finish Virginia before it left Game Pass. It's on sale right now for $3.49

The wife & I bought my daughter a Switch Lite today. First time since the DS Lite we've had a current gen Nintendo in the house. Naturally we got a used a Pokemon game. Since it was her first Pokemon game we just bought the cheapest used one we could find locally: Shining Pearl. I have no clue whatsoever about Pokemon. Wished she liked Zelda. LOL

I may have to buy the new Link's Awakening Remake/Remaster? Are digital game sales only available through Nintendo Online? Is it worth getting it for the old NES/SNES/Gameboy games? I don't expect to need it for multiplayer unless it had an official version of Roblox(yeah I seen I can get it work via sideloading Android). Looks like a family subscription might be worth it. Just seen Sega Genesis games are available on the Expansion Pack service. :eek: Oh dear the rabbit hole has commenced. LOL

If for retro games, maybe better buy a portable device such as ambernic or miyoo ?
I don't own any retro titles nor plan to buy any & I don't pirate. So I'm not going to spend extra money a retro/emulator dedicated machine. Game Pass ruined me. I want a subscription with a catalog of games to jump in & out of freely. Plus, this is really my daughter's Switch & I'll probably only get to use it when she's on her phone playing Roblox. LOL

It's not doing a lot compared to other games though is it? Super basic AI, next to no physics and basic (even for the time) graphics.

Finally finished it and I have to agree. It’s an impressive game in terms of mechanics, responsiveness etc but it didn’t do anything particularly impressive on the graphics front. Character models are so so and the environment is pretty low poly. Really fun though.

Are digital game sales only available through Nintendo Online? Is it worth getting it for the old NES/SNES/Gameboy games?
To be clear, you dont need a Nintendo Online subscription to buy digital games. This is only for those who want to play multiplayer or want access to the library of older emulated games. The general digital store is entirely free to use.

Personally, I still think it's complete horse poo that you cant buy all these emulated games individually, piecemeal, to own properly. I'd gladly throw them $5 a pop for a number of them to buy permanently, but I have little interest in paying for a long term rental service where I lose everything once I stop paying.

As for whether it's worth it, I think the 'base' tier could maybe be worth it if you're a big retro game fan, but otherwise, if you're not playing multiplayer, then probably not. The 'expansion pack' subscription stuff is an enormous exploitation scheme, though.

To be clear, you dont need a Nintendo Online subscription to buy digital games. This is only for those who want to play multiplayer or want access to the library of older emulated games. The general digital store is entirely free to use.

Personally, I still think it's complete horse poo that you cant buy all these emulated games individually, piecemeal, to own properly. I'd gladly throw them $5 a pop for a number of them to buy permanently, but I have little interest in paying for a long term rental service where I lose everything once I stop paying.

As for whether it's worth it, I think the 'base' tier could maybe be worth it if you're a big retro game fan, but otherwise, if you're not playing multiplayer, then probably not. The 'expansion pack' subscription stuff is an enormous exploitation scheme, though.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up. I thinking my wife will want access to the older games. Although she bought Animal Crossing. So she might not have time for the older games. 😂

Just finished Dead Island 2 - mopping up the last few collectible etc now. Then I am going to dip my toes into the latest Warframe update.

I finished Tunic, but might work on a few last achievements (have 87% right now). I'm picking away at Tetris before it leaves GP and still playing a little Vampire Survivors.

Next up: more Forza Horizon 5 and likely an Action/RPG like Fallen Order or Witcher 3, both of which I own, but if I hear something is leaving GP that I want to finish I'll pivot to that. :)

I've been enjoying Dead Island 2 a LOT. What a fun, absolutely beautiful game, and it runs beautifully too (PS5). Real breath of fresh air and not sure it's getting the credit it deserves.
Yeah, I was really hoping that they wouldn't mess with the original formula too much and try and make it into a 'modern' version and they haven't so it rocks :)
Definitely deserves more love than it seems to be getting though.

I decided to give the Persona series a look and I'm starting with Persona 3 and liking it after the first couple hours. I'm also picking away at Vampire Survivors and doing a little bit of Death's Door as well.

When you have a new 4k monitor and you go back to game that made you a graphics whore 😍

Very High settings, native 4k with 4xMSAA + 4x TrSSAA and a custom time of day (Off screen shot)

A locked and buttery smooth 60fps so time to install some mods to improve draw distance.

How the actual f**k is this game from 2007, it's nearly 16 years old, just look at it!

IMG20230512234407.jpg

Last edited:
When you have a new 4k monitor and you go back to game that made you a graphics whore 😍

Very High settings, native 4k with 4xMSAA + 4x TrSSAA and a custom time of day (Off screen shot)

A locked and buttery smooth 60fps so time to install some mods to improve draw distance.

How the actual f**k is this game from 2007, it's nearly 16 years old, just look at it!

View attachment 8901
The water simulation is also good enough when i used it for flood simulation years ago when I was in the university.

IIRC Its not exactly accurate for tiny stuff, but it's good enough for broad strokes.

The editor also got a much more user friendly UX than unreal engine

Back