What are the games that blew your mind when you saw them *spawn

After playing Ratchet and Clank on the PS5, most games in comparison look kind of bad, even Sensua 2.; Ratchet comes closer to what it tries to achieve compared to Sensua 2.
Same way probably that Mario Sunshine looks better now than Max Payne on a high end PC at the time.

Mario 64 was the first time a saw mipmapping probably, but also Wipeout on the original PSX blew my mind, even though the graphics were not very stable, it had a sense of speed and also the audio was really like seeing a new generation

The N64 Mario, Pilotwings and Waverace for me. Mario in particular. On my 17" Trinitron CRT tele it was the first time I'd experience 3d with that sort of smooth image quality.

On a non graphics aside, it also ruined Tomb Raider, which I was in the middle of when the N64 turned up. Tomb Raider's tank controls suddenly felt so archaic next to Mario charging around like a joyful toddler.

Street Fighter 2: For the first time ever we were experiencing huge animated sprites, amazingly multilayered animated parallax backgrounds and a floor that conveyed depth as characters moved across the screen.

Final Fight and Cadillac and the Dinosaurs: The sound was beyond outstanding and just like Street Fighter 2 introduced huge sprites and highly detailed animations.

Doom: Holy crap, the 3D environments, the movement and action were beyond anything I ve seem

Sonic 1: There was something special about the character, his movement, style and speed.

Donkey Kong: I just couldnt believe how good it looked. It was like looking at stop motion animation

Panzer Dragoon Zwei: Holy shit. Unlike the first this was butter smooth. The environments had incredible variety. The Dragon's motions and the lush environments were just incredible.

Wipeout: This game marked the start of the 32 Bit generation. The game was designed as if it was the true showcase of a new era of gaming. The CD quality of sound, the sound effects, the 3D graphics, the art direction, the physics were unmatched. It all blended into an audiovisual package that didnt appear like just a game. It was mature. It was an introduction to clubbing cult, a graphical technology, it was a statement.

Toshinden: The first true 3D game that introduced meaningful sidestepping. The backgrounds were huge and highly detailed, and the sound and atmosphere were beyond Tekken1's and Virtua Fighter 1's flat presentation. (If only the gameplay was just as good). The final stage on PS1 was just mindblowing.

Resident Evil 1: The atmosphere and the visuals were simply incredible. I couldnt get it out of my mind.

Mario 64 and Tomb Raider: For their huge 3D environments. But there was something special about Mario 64.

Omega Boost: Super smooth, superbly animated, superb flow and presentation, it pushed PS1's particle and transparency effects to the limit

MGS1: I have never in my life experienced such a cinematic, highly interactive, highly replayable experience in my life. How the music responded to the action on screen, the lighting, the multiple ways of approaching enemies, the visual quality and effects on a mere PS1. This was my favorite game on the PS1

MGS2: It turned everything MGS1 did by 1000. Just like Wipeout looked like it marked the next generation of gaming, MGS2 was that game on the PS2. It was a perfect game, showcasing all the technological possibilities that were promised by Sony. Advanced weather effects, complex lighting and shadows, physics was everywhere and had actual impact on the gameplay, particles effects were crazy, AI was beyond anything seen previously.

Silent Hill 2 and 3. Enough said.

ZOE2: Was the Omega Boost of the PS2. Crazy particle effects, perfect cell shading, butter smooth gameplay and animations

Tekken Tag Tournament: It looked like I was playing PS1's Tekken CG intros in real time.

Gran Turismo 3 and 4: 60fps, highly realistic visuals and super detailed environments. Some of the night time stages were simply mind blowing.

Shadow of the Beast on Amiga says hello.

That's just one element. Doesn't offer the whole package of SF2.

Btw: Thats super impressive for its time. Its a shame that I didnt experience it back then. I might have added it in my list if I had experienced it back then

Last edited:
That's just one element. Doesn't offer the whole package of SF2.

I think you might be thinking of line scrolling? It's an effect where the horizontal scrolling position of a background tilemap plane is changed between the scanout of horizontal lines to the tv. A super cool effect that gives the appearance of depth!

(The Neo Geo did everything - including backgrounds - using sprites, and so it's something that the SNES and Megadrive had over it!)

By combining line scrolling and shifting the vertical position of background tiles you could go even further than Streetfighter 2 did. Here's a great video on line scrolling combined with vertical offsets to get crazy effects out of the Megadrive (please excuse the slightly clickbaity title of the video, it's by a super talented developer who was doing this stuff back in the day):

Coming out of the ship in unreal
Quake - could not believe how configurable the engine was you could change practically everything the gravity even the friction and the mods I had a flight simulator and a rally game and a snowboarding game.
Morrowind - it was the first game where I saw a fully realised world, it had it's own fauna and flora, it's own animals, its own history, it's own works of fiction, it's own races, religions, political factions ect
Enemy Engaged Comanche vs Hokum - the dynamic campaign engine was amazing you could just sit there and watch the entire war play out

A few off the top of my head:

Doom
Virtua Fighter
Mario 64
Gran Turismo 1 and 3
MGS1 and 2
Doom 3
Soul Caliber
Dead or Alive 3
Half Life 2
Gears of War
Uncharted 2
Crysis
Crysis 3

There's also games with incredible animation which blew me away, like Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, Earthworm Jim 1+2, Luigi's Mansion 3 and so on.

Ugh, it's not fair.. I could gush about so many games.. but yea let's just leave it at that.

Virtua Fighter
I was never an arcade person, or even that big of a fighting game fan, but I do remember being pretty mesmerized by Virtua Fighter as a kid. I'm not sure I ever played it more than like a couple times, but I loved how relatively slow and realistic the fighting and graphics were. It wasn't over the top or anything like all other fighting games, it looked technical and demanding. I think that intimidated me back then, like it was some advanced fighting simulator rather than a game. Something for the bigger kids and adults to play.

Medal Of Honor: Frontline

I was (still are) a big fan of the series (even though they ruined it with later games šŸ˜„) but seeing this on PS2 back in the day blew my mind with certain levels sticking out more than others (Rough landing especially blowing my mind back then)

Most of mine would be repeats of others: seeing Wolf3D for the first time (omg3d!) was pretty mind blowing. Doom for all the verticality and lighting and unique texturing reasons. Unreal for the full 3D over/under experience with reflections and so much more ambiance and so much more fluidity with 3DFX. Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit for (what seemed like) such a genuine feel of speed when paired with the 3DFX card. Grand Tourismo 3 A-spec for the absolutely stunning photograph mode and just how good the track and car textures and models were (for the time.)

FarCry and Crysis for how "full" and interactive the levels were with so much detail and so much of it was interactive. Oblivion was similar but different; the absolute sense of scale and openness combined with such great "feel". Skyrim did a pretty solid job there too with the extra use of volumetric fog and haze and how wonderful and cold the mountains "felt."

One game I didn't see anyone mention yet: the Prey (2006) release with the wonderfully executed gravity and shrinking mechanics. I'd never seen such a thing done before; it was so new and added interesting gameplay experiences. I very much specifically remember being shrunken onto a tiny moon or planet, the size of a bowling ball, held inside a room where a "baddie" showed up and appeared as a goliath peering down onto you...

Edit: found a video link of the Prey sequence I remembered here *Warning for langage*:

Last edited:
Street Fighter 2: For the first time ever we were experiencing huge animated sprites, amazingly multilayered animated parallax backgrounds and a floor that conveyed depth as characters moved across the screen.

Donkey Kong: I just couldnt believe how good it looked. It was like looking at stop motion animation

Gran Turismo 3 and 4: 60fps, highly realistic visuals and super detailed environments. Some of the night time stages were simply mind blowing.
SF2 was the perfect package back then, a bit like a 2D Soul Calibur!

A bit pedantic but you meant Donkey Kong Country, right? If so I agree with you. Back then some seriously thought it was 32 bit next-gen graphics!

And the GT games on PS2 were incredible indeed.

Mario 64 was a shock for me when I got my hands on an imported japanese N64!

I think I am partial to a game having a great gameplay as well as good looking to fully appreciate its graphics somehow. But except the beauty of Tomb raider I was never a fan of pixelated PS1 graphics. I much prefered N64 textures and this makes me think of the graphics GOATs on N64: Banjo Kazooie and Zelda 64.

Street fighter alpha
Mario 64
Golden 007
Mgs 2
Gt3
And the last time I was blown away resident 4

I'm still get impressed but it's hard to get blown away 40.

SF2 was the perfect package back then, a bit like a 2D Soul Calibur!

A bit pedantic but you meant Donkey Kong Country, right? If so I agree with you. Back then some seriously thought it was 32 bit next-gen graphics!

And the GT games on PS2 were incredible indeed.

Mario 64 was a shock for me when I got my hands on an imported japanese N64!

I think I am partial to a game having a great gameplay as well as good looking to fully appreciate its graphics somehow. But except the beauty of Tomb raider I was never a fan of pixelated PS1 graphics. I much prefered N64 textures and this makes me think of the graphics GOATs on N64: Banjo Kazooie and Zelda 64.
Yes I meant Donkey Kong Country on the SNES

Number of things in the 90s/00s. Donkey Kong Country 2 was great at the time, then moving into 3D Tekken 3 from T2 was a huge upgrade, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time with its intro video's big open world (again at the time), castle in the background etc when most games had very small levels with fog? That was incredible to me and a "if it looks this good now imagine what things could be in the future" moment. Not real time but the Starcraft cinematics wowed me and the Fallout NPC talking heads looked great. Then PS2/Xbox/GC, Tekken Tag Tournament on the PS2 was a "next gen" moment, playing Quantum Redshift after Wipeout and Hydro Thunder was like another world. PS360/PC was Crysis obviously and Project Gotham Racing 4 was really good looking. I always preferred PGR's visual style over Forza's on both consoles (PGR2 > Forza, PGR4 > FM3 imo). PS4/X1/PC gen Driveclub, The Order 1886 looked really good, Battlefront (2015) as well - I definitely wandered around looking at things instead of playing the game at times, fantastic looking game

There will be others I'm forgetting and I might be stretching the definition a bit but off the top of my head they were all impressive at the time

I remember Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee looked great and very detailed but it was the first Gran Turismo that made me (and also my friend) saying "that looks loke a real life" šŸ˜…

NFS 4 High Stakes was quite impressive too, with highly detailed enviroments and working headlights (also police alarm lights).

Next was the Gran Turismo 3, especially Stage Route 5 Wet. It was THE NEXT Generation.

There are some more that era games worth noting like Silent Hill 3, Jak II, Devil May Cry 1 and 2 and Dead or Alive 3 on Xbox, which looked great in 2001.

PS3 brought MotorStorm and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (unfortunately downgraded in some aspects in the full game, especially shadow quality).

Crysis when it came out was very impressive. Details and realistic look, that was ruined in later PS360 ports, due to adding that awful blue filter.

Next was rainy weather in DriveClub.

A lot of racing games, I know. I'm passionate about cars so I pay attention to details. That's why I love details, shaders and materials used in car models in car games and there is no doubt that GT series is second to none in that regard. Now Gran Turismo 7 (especially with Ray Tracig enabled) shows that again. Real time scenes in GT Cafe are just mindblowing on PS5.

Back