We need FPS specific pad (not KB+M)

Inane_Dork said:
Don't be ridiculous. How many buttons are actually at your disposal without shifting your right hand up and down the remote (which is not reasonable given how only the right hand holds it)? 3 triggers, one button and a D-pad. You're still 4 buttons short of the 360 controller. Given how FPS control is already trimmed down for the 360 controller compared to the PC, what more will they have to cut? Reloading?

The remote is actually really small. It should take no effort at all to reach the lower buttons, unless you incredibly tiny hands.

winstonsmith1978 said:
the rev. controller is going to be great for fps's. Sony has a way to copy with eye toy and microsoft has a way to copy, if they first copy an eye toy and then copy nintendo.;)

Well actually, sony showed that they could control "in space" before nintendo! Hell, nintendo hasn't even shown what the can control with it. :smile:

winstonsmith1978 said:
You're also forgetting that you can replace button pushing with remote movement. So, to roll left(dodge), roll right(dodge), kneel down and get up could all be handled by little movements in x,y and z space. rotation of the remote would control aiming and turning. left analogue would control movement. leaving 4 buttons + digital pad for everything else(jumping, shooting, weapon changing, granades, etc.)

the rev. controller is going to be great for fps's. Sony has a way to copy with eye toy and microsoft has a way to copy, if they first copy an eye toy and then copy nintendo.;)
Well, here is a basic overview of the controller...
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2308860&type=lg
And here is the way you hold it...
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2308866&type=lg

To get from 'A' to 'a - b' is a pretty nice gap. As far as FPS's go, timing is everything. I don't know how this is supposed to work and as far FPS games are concerned it has been boggling my mind as to how you're supposed to be able to turn around any faster with a remote...

I see 6 possible buttons, but you can't use them all at the same time.. I'm guessing the button behind the remote would be the primary trigger, but grab any remote in your house and hold it in the position to get access to a trigger and you'll notice how awkward it would be to reach down to 'a-b'. So, that kinda leaves you with 4 gameplay buttons IMO.

Hopefully I'm missing something..

m1nd_x said:
The analog stick attachment and two triggers that are on it. That should give you six buttons to play with. Other than shooting, switching weapons, and reloading, I can't think of anything else you'd need a button for.

OtakingGX said:
The analog stick attachment and two triggers that are on it. That should give you six buttons to play with. Other than shooting, switching weapons, and reloading, I can't think of anything else you'd need a button for.

Jump, duck, zoom, secondary attack, "action-button"...

I expect(hope) for a microphone in Rev (and PS3 too, but in Rev is more cruncial IMO) so many fuctions could be easily maped into that (also great for RTS,tatical,RPGs ...).

weaksauce said:
Jump, duck, zoom, secondary attack, "action-button"...
Well, the freestyle controller could handle jump, duck, zoom, and action. If the B button is like the triggers on the Gamecube and clicks at the end, there's your secondary attack. If not, now you have 4 buttons you need to play an FPS.

I'm still only picturing access to a total of 4-buttons at a time.

2 triggers on the analog stick side (analogs aren't buttons on nintendo controllers from what I've experienced)

Access to 'a' and 'b' or 'A' and trigger on the remote side of things... not both at the same time from the looks of it, unless you have a really big hand and think you can hit the trigger and 'a'/'b' at the same time.

edit: I dunno, maybe I'm wrong..

Last edited by a moderator:
Inane_Dork said:
Personally, I'm more concerned with the button count. The thing simply does not have enough buttons to pull off all the moves that are expected from FPS games. 3, 4 buttons? No triggers? FPS games on the Rev will likely have a reduced movement set compared to what's normal now, and that may make the games feel too simple (among other things).
The nunchaku has two triggers. The freestyle has an 8-way d-pad, a thumb button, a trigger, and 4 other game buttons that you have to reach for. You can roll the freestyle left and right to peak around corners, and point to "mouselook", and you have analog movement on the nunchaku. Shoot with the freestyle trigger, duck and jump with the nunchaku triggers, select weapons with the freestyle d-pad, and secondary fire or "use" with the d-pad thumb-button. I think the most important bits of an action FPS are covered there but there's still a few buttons left over for less used features like grenade/item cycling/use or flashlights.

OtakingGX said:

Well for tribes 1 I had 112 buttons for actions.
For tribes 2 I had 126. (yes I ran out of non modified keyboard keys, and had to resort to shit-X etc)
In game play I used from 50-70 buttons regulary and other buttons for specific armour types.
But hey thats just me. And some how I had an easier time with that many controls than using a dual shock to simply move and aim.

Iron Tiger said:
I think the most important bits of an action FPS are covered there but there's still a few buttons left over for less used features like grenade/item cycling/use or flashlights.
Why use a button to use items? Why not just reach forward with the freestyle and do the action that the item would require? If you came to a door, stick it out horizontally and rotate it like you would a door handle.

BlackAngus said:
Well for tribes 1 I had 112 buttons for actions.

112? WTH!?! I played T1 competitively (was in IE briefly and then became a founding member of FTM) but I can't imagine using 112 buttons!

I think the revolutions controller with the analog attachment would be perfect for FPS's. You get the movements from the analog stick and the aiming from the controller itself which should become pin-point accurate with training.

Ty said:
112? WTH!?! I played T1 competitively (was in IE briefly and then became a founding member of FTM) but I can't imagine using 112 buttons!

Even while playing UT, I don't use more than 5 buttons normally, W/A/S/D + mouse left click (right click is dead..) :mrgreen:

winstonsmith1978 said:
You're also forgetting that you can replace button pushing with remote movement. So, to roll left(dodge), roll right(dodge), kneel down and get up could all be handled by little movements in x,y and z space. rotation of the remote would control aiming and turning. left analogue would control movement.
I think that demands too much tactile discipline from the gamer, but that's only my guess.

Branduil said:
The remote is actually really small. It should take no effort at all to reach the lower buttons, unless you incredibly tiny hands.
I'm not sure how you're holding it, but in the pictures, the lower A and B buttons are right beside the fleshy part of your palm. That is exactly hard to reach. You'd have to flip the remote around so it faced away from the TV before those buttons were handy.

The point is that even current FPS titles would have to be streamlined. Take Halo, for instance. Throw grenade, fire weapon, reload, jump, switch weapon, switch flashlight status, switch active grenade type, melee attack, zoom, crouch. Given that the D-pad would be a poor replacement for some of those things, you're looking at a streamlining of even Halo. Start analyzing PC FPS games and you'll REALLY be reducing move sets.

m1nd_x said:
Well, here is a basic overview of the controller...
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2308860&type=lg
And here is the way you hold it...
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2308866&type=lg

To get from 'A' to 'a - b' is a pretty nice gap. As far as FPS's go, timing is everything. I don't know how this is supposed to work and as far FPS games are concerned it has been boggling my mind as to how you're supposed to be able to turn around any faster with a remote...

I see 6 possible buttons, but you can't use them all at the same time.. I'm guessing the button behind the remote would be the primary trigger, but grab any remote in your house and hold it in the position to get access to a trigger and you'll notice how awkward it would be to reach down to 'a-b'. So, that kinda leaves you with 4 gameplay buttons IMO.

D-Pad

Ty said:

holy shit tribes players! i played t1 too!

but yea i dont see how or what in the world you needed 112 buttons for? The only ONLY thing that even comes close to it for me was the voice binds but thats not critical nowadays with voice chat and what not. I just cant fathom 112 buttons for that game, sure it was complex than other games but damn 112?

Inane_Dork said:
I think that demands too much tactile discipline from the gamer, but that's only my guess.

because moving a controller down to kneel or up to get up is a whole lot harder to grasp then hitting a couple of buttons. I think you miss the point of the rev controller.

i'm pretty sure if you took 2 non-gamers and put them in a room with the rev controller and a more traditional controller, they would more easily grasp and remember that a movement left = roll left rather then hitting L1 or L2. + they probably won't have to look down at the controller to see if they are hitting the correct buttons either.

Inane_Dork said:
The point is that even current FPS titles would have to be streamlined. Take Halo, for instance. Throw grenade, fire weapon, reload, jump, switch weapon, switch flashlight status, switch active grenade type, melee attack, zoom, crouch. Given that the D-pad would be a poor replacement for some of those things, you're looking at a streamlining of even Halo. Start analyzing PC FPS games and you'll REALLY be reducing move sets.

That is why I think that a microphone would be great because from all of that only Fire,Grenade,Melee (that it isnt in XB), Jump (that it isnt in XB too) need to be fast and/or constant pressure others would easily used in the voice system (Ithink that anyone would agree that it would be much better if you can reach those buttons anytime without losse control at anytime) , I agree that 1 or 2 more buttons but anyway many games are overcomplicated because you need to press a lot of buttons even to do a easy thing, more buttons isnt the solution to simplify or even to make games more complex after all overcomplicated games make the game itself much less interesting as it lacks flow and it brakes to much the action.

So please, more buttons no.

PS:complex|=overcomplicated (eg Fable using voicecontrol for the menus would be much more simple but not less complex).

Back