We need FPS specific pad (not KB+M)

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Universal truth is console controllers suck for FPSes, and I just realised seeing replies in another thread that it will not be easy using KB+M sitting on couch. So, we need a controller designed specifically for FPSes, as it is FPSes are a big thing on consoles and are becoming more important.

N may have found an answer in its new controller, Sony/MS need to do something same. Why can't they design something for FPSes? What do you think would be good controller for FPSes (except KB+M)?

I think the problem is that it needs to be 2hands with independant movement. Even the rev controller hasnt convinced me it will be great (ie not as good as kb/mouse) for fps yet. You still need a fair bit of left hand functionality to go with a nice aiming device.

The lack of a stable base (can't be dependant on a desk) for the left hand device poses problems.

Would I like a better controller for FPS games? Heck yeah. Dual analog nearly gives me a headache.
Would I pay for another controller just for FPS games? Nope.

Now, if you could make a controller that was better for FPS than conventional gamepads but did not sacrifice usability in some other area, I'd buy it. But I really don't expect that to happen. Buying a controller (or more, as I play with other people) per genre sounds like a great way to drain my resources on things other than gaming, and FPS doesn't occupy near enough of my playing time to warrant such special attention.

Of course, this is all my opinion. I am sure such a device would be worthwhile for others.

As for what form it would take, maybe if the right stick were replaced with a trackball. Movement with the left stick seems to work just fine for me, it's just the aiming that's not ideal.

If you haven't tried it yet, the Gamester FPS Master controller is made specifically for FPS and works quite well once you get used to it.

B0000CO2UR.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I just saw this thread and it reminded me of the gamepad that was being shown off a year or so ago by white fusion.

Apparantly they've changed their name to 'Bodielobus' as of July, and I found a hands-on report.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/617/617422p1.html

From the hands-on, they seem convinced that it works very good.. I'd love to see them get this stuff up and running and then maybe release it on PS3 and Xbox360.

Here's a picture if you forgot what it looks like....
white-fusion-reflex-control-20050411045806549.jpg

edit: I had the FPS master, that controller was pretty great with it's design, it just took A LOT of getting used to, but once I did it was amazing. A combination of these two controllers would be ideal.

Im of the opinion that dual analog is perfectly servicable to the FPS genre on consoles. Sure it doesn't give you nearly the pixel percision and quickness of a mouse, but on an even playing field that hardly matters. As long as its properly calibrated with a solid dead zone it'll consistently gets the job done. And things like analog player movement, controlling vehicles, melee combat and "pushing a trigger" (as opposed to pointing and clicking a mouse button) actually feel more intuitive to the genre on a gamepad.

So I dont think an intermediary solution is needed, because like it or not the dual analog setup has become refined to the point that its pretty much become synonymous with pointing and shooting on consoles, first or third person. Us PC gamers who were bred on the mouse+keyboard since Wolfenstein have to realize most of the Halo and Socom gamers out there think aiming with a stick is perfectly natural. Thats why I dont really think of it as inferior because again, on an even playing field thats pretty much irrelevent. Its more like a less sporty version of the same line of car, with its own charms. Bad analogy perhaps but you get the gist. ;)

I dunno about you guys, but mouse and keyboard is as good as it gets. It's just so precise. I'd be happy to throw a mouse and keyboard on my coffee table infront of the tube if the games are compatable. It just works. Its the perfect controller for fps games.

Instead of changing the controller to get away from mouse and keyboard (due to its not comfortable on the couch)...why not change the seating? make a gaming chair that allows a mouse and keyboard to easily fit infront of you. Thats just my idea. I guess im still stuck on the PC lol.

The Revolution certainly has potential for FPS games. I'm only concerned that it will be too physically tiring after a few hours of play.

Deepak said:
Sony/MS need to do something same. Why can't they design something for FPSes? What do you think would be good controller for FPSes (except KB+M)?

Well, on Sony's part, with eyetoy they could do provide something rather similar to Rev's functionality, simply from a point-and-click/shoot perspective (on a 2D plane). They have a patent for a little "clicker" - like a little pen with a light on the top that the eyetoy can track, and register clicks via colour changes in the light. You could use your left hand for analog movement control, right hand for aiming and shooting. They could refine that "clicker" from the patent with a couple of standard playstation buttons for other functionality too.

So techincally it'd be rather straightforward to provide (and I'm hoping we will see a manifestation of that patent with PS3). But without making it standard in every system, they'd need to be clever about driving penetration, to secure decent software support.

I think the S controller is good enough, I know alot of PC gamers complain about switching from a controller to a Mouse and KB, but I have no problems with it, I think Sony needs a FPS controller because PS2 controller is crap for FPS, and very uncomfortable for gamers with big hands like myself.

It seems that Rev controler will be really great for FPS but the one presented by m1nd_x seems at least as good as K/M (did you saw the UT videos on the PS2 in mode ultrafast just WOW, I would like to see that as standard controler on PS3, it would also be a great reason to buy PS3 instead of XB360 IMO, at least if you are interested in FPS).

So there is two solutions one will go standard now that controler+Eyetoy+microphone as standard would give some very good competion to Rev IMO.

deathstar121 said:
I think the S controller is good enough, I know alot of PC gamers complain about switching from a controller to a Mouse and KB, but I have no problems with it, I think Sony needs a FPS controller because PS2 controller is crap for FPS, and very uncomfortable for gamers with big hands like myself.

i actually find the Dual shock more comfortable. the S has the bump on the back to accomodate the memory card or headset. that causes my fingers to get squished up rather than resting comfortably. the dual shock is far more open to different styles of holding it. i actually hold it with most parts of my hand not touching it at all. only my fingers push against the inside back edge of the prongs.

i think what would be best would be something like the arcade sticks you used to get. it'd have an analog stick and a nice big base to put a mouse on. the mouse could even have a trigger on it. it'd be expensive tho.

i also had the idea of having the set up be modifiable with different attachments. a second stick could be attached for some games. a digital stick could replace the detachable analog stick for fighting games, with fire buttons replacing the mouse mat.

inefficient said:
The Revolution certainly has potential for FPS games. I'm only concerned that it will be too physically tiring after a few hours of play.
Personally, I'm more concerned with the button count. The thing simply does not have enough buttons to pull off all the moves that are expected from FPS games. 3, 4 buttons? No triggers? FPS games on the Rev will likely have a reduced movement set compared to what's normal now, and that may make the games feel too simple (among other things).

The only real problem i see is that the sensivity is to high or that the range for "slow-aiming" is too short, atleast on ps2.

Danalys said:
i actually find the Dual shock more comfortable. the S has the bump on the back to accomodate the memory card or headset. that causes my fingers to get squished up rather than resting comfortably. the dual shock is far more open to different styles of holding it. i actually hold it with most parts of my hand not touching it at all. only my fingers push against the inside back edge of the prongs.

i think what would be best would be something like the arcade sticks you used to get. it'd have an analog stick and a nice big base to put a mouse on. the mouse could even have a trigger on it. it'd be expensive tho.

i also had the idea of having the set up be modifiable with different attachments. a second stick could be attached for some games. a digital stick could replace the detachable analog stick for fighting games, with fire buttons replacing the mouse mat.

The 360 pad owns the S and the DS by a long shot, I'll be pretty impressed if anyone can top that as far as a traditional controller design.

c0_re said:
The 360 pad owns the S and the DS by a long shot, I'll be pretty impressed if anyone can top that as far as a traditional controller design.

I think the 360 pad has way too loose analog sticks.

Inane_Dork said:
Personally, I'm more concerned with the button count. The thing simply does not have enough buttons to pull off all the moves that are expected from FPS games. 3, 4 buttons? No triggers? FPS games on the Rev will likely have a reduced movement set compared to what's normal now, and that may make the games feel too simple (among other things).

The remote has a trigger, and the analog attachment has two triggers. When you count the D-pad and the lower two buttons, and the select button, you have 11 buttons. That should be more than enough.

Branduil said:
The remote has a trigger, and the analog attachment has two triggers. When you count the D-pad and the lower two buttons, and the select button, you have 11 buttons. That should be more than enough.
Don't be ridiculous. How many buttons are actually at your disposal without shifting your right hand up and down the remote (which is not reasonable given how only the right hand holds it)? 3 triggers, one button and a D-pad. You're still 4 buttons short of the 360 controller. Given how FPS control is already trimmed down for the 360 controller compared to the PC, what more will they have to cut? Reloading?

Inane_Dork said:
Don't be ridiculous. How many buttons are actually at your disposal without shifting your right hand up and down the remote (which is not reasonable given how only the right hand holds it)? 3 triggers, one button and a D-pad. You're still 4 buttons short of the 360 controller. Given how FPS control is already trimmed down for the 360 controller compared to the PC, what more will they have to cut? Reloading?

You're also forgetting that you can replace button pushing with remote movement. So, to roll left(dodge), roll right(dodge), kneel down and get up could all be handled by little movements in x,y and z space. rotation of the remote would control aiming and turning. left analogue would control movement. leaving 4 buttons + digital pad for everything else(jumping, shooting, weapon changing, granades, etc.)

the rev. controller is going to be great for fps's. Sony has a way to copy with eye toy and microsoft has a way to copy, if they first copy an eye toy and then copy nintendo.;)

Back